15 Ways for New UAV Owners to Make A Name For Themselves on the Forum

Reaction score

1) Ignore all sticky threads in Phantom Forums, especially those written for New Users. That stuff is for Suckers!

2) When you have a question, don't bother searching the Forum to see if it's been already answered in an existing topic. Just create a duplicate topic of your own, you are important enough for people to do work twice for you while you wait.

3) If you should encounter a thread discussing your problem, don't bother reading the thread to see what the discussion has yielded to date. Just post your question. Answers are easier to understand if they are addressed directly to you and you don't have to waste time reading how other people fixed it if you can get someone on the Forum to answer the question once more, but with your name at the front for clarity.

4) If you post a question on a thread without reading the thread first, and someone responds and points out that the answer was provided a few posts back, then (a) ask the person who responded to locate, copy and paste the answer in a fresh window for you, then (b) make a snarky comment about the forum not being helpful to people like you. Imagine the gall of someone asking you to scroll back and having to read PAGES of answers to your problem!

5) Screw this "learning to fly" stuff, that's for wimps. Real Noobs want DISTANCE!!!! All new UAV owners with no previous experience are *required* to get a HUGE ***** for miles-long flight distances... A massive fixated stonking obssession with flying your bird THOUSANDS of meters past the OEM specs or piss-ant FAA legal ceiling. Forget reading the manuals, forget learning how to control your new aircraft and understanding its flight control features, you need to fixate on MODDING FOR DISTANCE before you waste time on boring basic UAV flight control prerequisites and mechanics, or even actually hold your UAV for the first time.

6) Comprehension and work are for suckas! If you find a thread with illustrated steps to a MOD you want to do, and glancing at a particular pic doesn't work for you, just ask the original poster to retake some more pictures for you, only this time in higher resolution and with added arrows and labels. Why risk doing the reading or work yourself, comprehension can be dangerous and interfere with your cool dreams about how sweet your bird will be all modded up. Never read closely for comprehension, never study pictures and instructions in detail, and never think on your own. There are people on the Forum to do all that for you.

7) If someone doesn't answer your request immediately, you aren't nagging the forum enough. WTH is wrong with all these lazy Forum people and why are they not responding more quickly to your needs? You should criticize the forum at large to help accelerate the process of answering your questions.

8) Sure, you're new, but you're never, ever wrong. If your bird crashes / flies away / doesn't work after a mod / won't fly far enough, it's the fault of ( ) DJI ( ) The DJI Vendor ( ) the Forum [check as many as necessary].

9) If someone on the Forum informs you that there is a YouTube video that shows what you are trying to do, do the following: (a) Ask for the link to the YouTube video, or better, (b) ask the person who told you about the video to just write down the part you need to know in a personal reply. NEVER try to find YouTube videos on your own, because then people would expect you to watch them, which requires paying attention to details. MUCH better to work the Forum until you nag, cajole, or insult someone into spelling it out for you step by step, with custom hi-res pictures and arrows (and smiley faces!)

10) When your bird crashes, flies off, or drops in the water, it's never pilot error. Ever. The correct action in this case is to ( ) return to the seller for a refund ( ) return to DJI for a refund ( ) nag the forum to help you find your lost UAV, because it's not your fault, it's (see previous statement)

11) If someone on the Forum looks at your video / flight log after a crash or flyaway and identifies the technical cause ... and it's pilot error... THEY ARE ATTACKING YOU!! You must vigorously defend yourself by calling the responder names, denying responsibility, and saying the Forum isn't helping. Just because you didn't follow four major criteria from DJI for places NOT to fly, or just because you don't know what Home Lock is or how to set it, doesn't mean you screwed up or it's your fault! In these cases, it is appropriate to blame DJI, your DJI vendor, *and* the UAV forum.

12) LOS flight is for weenies. If you can't fly behind trees, in back of large buildings, and thread your bird over traffic through urban canyons of metal-framed skyscrapers filled with hundreds of wifi routers, you're a wimp and no better than those rude people who won't help you on the Forum.

13) Modding your bird and tx is cool, but don't waste time completely understanding what a mod does and whether it will suit your needs. Choose mods by coolness and how badboy you will look with your new rig. You can get answers to all the stuff you don't understand from someone on the Forum who will understand it for you. Be prepared, this often takes extra nagging and name calling when helpers are slow to respond. You must be prepared to anticipate the time this requires, and budget accordingly. HINT: Save time by not reading product literature from the vendor selling the mod, likewise, don't waste time on YouTube finding answers on your own when people on the Forum will spell it all out nice and neat for you, eventually, after enough name calling, nagging, and Forum-bashing.

14) For ultimate coolness, call up a vendor, and spend his time getting him to explain how his proprietary design works. Then, component shop Amazon and eBay to buy the parts to assemble the vendor's design without buying his goods. Nag people on the Forum to walk you through the process, and then bash the vendor on the forum because you duplicated his design for $16 less and only spent a bunch of other people's time on the Forum to work out how to do it. By now people on the forum will really begin to know your name...

15) When admins and people with thousands of posts on the Forum make gentle recommendations to consider certain behavioral habits and displays of disrespect, be cavalier at first, and openly scornful later. Those geezers don't remember squat.

If any of this seems a bit off to you... GOOD. It's a way to get known, for all the wrong reasons. Of course YOU would never do these things, but some OTHERS... <roll eyes>. Remember that your fellow Forum people are all volunteers, not paid, and it is their time they give to help. Treat them with respect. Do your own homework. Read, read, read, and then watch YouTube. Invest in your own excellence and then you will be able to enjoy this sport responsibly and with much more pleasure.

Happy flying and be kind to your fellow Forumistas.

Last edited:
Hello Robiefield. It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Oh yeah, stop making sense, people around here will think you know what you're talking about. :D

You also forgot to mention the reason a paper manual doesn't come with your new quad... it's because nobody really needs that, just ignore the online manual too... if it was so important they would of included it with the quad right? :p

You forgot #16. Make a sarcastic list of 15 nonsensical judgemental comments and submit to a forum.

I have read posts where people try to be the self imposed forum police, you have taken it to s new level. BTW, who tries to make a name for themselves on a quad forum?

Reactions: Neil Myers
You forgot #16. Make a sarcastic list of 15 nonsensical judgemental comments and submit to a forum.

I have read posts where people try to be the self imposed forum police, you have taken it to s new level. BTW, who tries to make a name for themselves on a quad forum?

I didn't find it nonsensical.

Welcome to the forum, robiefield and hit-n-run.

Reactions: robiefield

Hello Hit-nRun. It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

The forum guidelines take a dim view of people 'memberating' others. The OP has not done this at all. He made a tongue-in-cheek post that unfortunately has a ring of truth to it. It brought a smile to my face. ;)

Sounds like Robbie hit a nerve or 15.
Ouch
I Personally lived his post

1) Ignore all sticky threads in Phantom Forums, especially those written for New Users. That stuff is for Suckers!

2) When you have a question, don't bother searching the Forum to see if it's been already answered in an existing topic. Just create a duplicate topic of your own, you are important enough for people to do work twice for you while you wait.

3) If you should encounter a thread discussing your problem, don't bother reading the thread to see what the discussion has yielded to date. Just post your question. Answers are easier to understand if they are addressed directly to you and you don't have to waste time reading how other people fixed it if you can get someone on the Forum to answer the question once more, but with your name at the front for clarity.

4) If you post a question on a thread without reading the thread first, and someone responds and points out that the answer was provided a few posts back, then (a) ask the person who responded to locate, copy and paste the answer in a fresh window for you, then (b) make a snarky comment about the forum not being helpful to people like you. Imagine the gall of someone asking you to scroll back and having to read PAGES of answers to your problem!

5) Screw this "learning to fly" stuff, that's for wimps. Real Noobs want DISTANCE!!!! All new UAV owners with no previous experience are *required* to get a HUGE ***** for miles-long flight distances... A massive fixated stonking obssession with flying your bird THOUSANDS of meters past the OEM specs or piss-ant FAA legal ceiling. Forget reading the manuals, forget learning how to control your new aircraft and understanding its flight control features, you need to fixate on MODDING FOR DISTANCE before you waste time on boring basic UAV flight control prerequisites and mechanics, or even actually hold your UAV for the first time.

6) Comprehension and work are for suckas! If you find a thread with illustrated steps to a MOD you want to do, and glancing at a particular pic doesn't work for you, just ask the original poster to retake some more pictures for you, only this time in higher resolution and with added arrows and labels. Why risk doing the reading or work yourself, comprehension can be dangerous and interfere with your cool dreams about how sweet your bird will be all modded up. Never read closely for comprehension, never study pictures and instructions in detail, and never think on your own. There are people on the Forum to do all that for you.

7) If someone doesn't answer your request immediately, you aren't nagging the forum enough. WTH is wrong with all these lazy Forum people and why are they not responding more quickly to your needs? You should criticize the forum at large to help accelerate the process of answering your questions.

8) Sure, you're new, but you're never, ever wrong. If your bird crashes / flies away / doesn't work after a mod / won't fly far enough, it's the fault of ( ) DJI ( ) The DJI Vendor ( ) the Forum [check as many as necessary].

9) If someone on the Forum informs you that there is a YouTube video that shows what you are trying to do, do the following: (a) Ask for the link to the YouTube video, or better, (b) ask the person who told you about the video to just write down the part you need to know in a personal reply. NEVER try to find YouTube videos on your own, because then people would expect you to watch them, which requires paying attention to details. MUCH better to work the Forum until you nag, cajole, or insult someone into spelling it out for you step by step, with custom hi-res pictures and arrows (and smiley faces!)

10) When your bird crashes, flies off, or drops in the water, it's never pilot error. Ever. The correct action in this case is to ( ) return to the seller for a refund ( ) return to DJI for a refund ( ) nag the forum to help you find your lost UAV, because it's not your fault, it's (see previous statement)

11) If someone on the Forum looks at your video / flight log after a crash or flyaway and identifies the technical cause ... and it's pilot error... THEY ARE ATTACKING YOU!! You must vigorously defend yourself by calling the responder names, denying responsibility, and saying the Forum isn't helping. Just because you didn't follow four major criteria from DJI for places NOT to fly, or just because you don't know what Home Lock is or how to set it, doesn't mean you screwed up or it's your fault! In these cases, it is appropriate to blame DJI, your DJI vendor, *and* the UAV forum.

12) LOS flight is for weenies. If you can't fly behind trees, in back of large buildings, and thread your bird over traffic through urban canyons of metal-framed skyscrapers filled with hundreds of wifi routers, you're a wimp and no better than those rude people who won't help you on the Forum.

13) Modding your bird and tx is cool, but don't waste time completely understanding what a mod does and whether it will suit your needs. Choose mods by coolness and how badboy you will look with your new rig. You can get answers to all the stuff you don't understand from someone on the Forum who will understand it for you. Be prepared, this often takes extra nagging and name calling when helpers are slow to respond. You must be prepared to anticipate the time this requires, and budget accordingly. HINT: Save time by not reading product literature from the vendor selling the mod, likewise, don't waste time on YouTube finding answers on your own when people on the Forum will spell it all out nice and neat for you, eventually, after enough name calling, nagging, and Forum-bashing.

14) For ultimate coolness, call up a vendor, and spend his time getting him to explain how his proprietary design works. Then, component shop Amazon and eBay to buy the parts to assemble the vendor's design without buying his goods. Nag people on the Forum to walk you through the process, and then bash the vendor on the forum because you duplicated his design for $16 less and only spent a bunch of other people's time on the Forum to work out how to do it. By now people on the forum will really begin to know your name...

15) When admins and people with thousands of posts on the Forum make gentle recommendations to consider certain behavioral habits and displays of disrespect, be cavalier at first, and openly scornful later. Those geezers don't remember squat.

If any of this seems a bit off to you... GOOD. It's a way to get known, for all the wrong reasons. Of course YOU would never do these things, but some OTHERS... <roll eyes>. Remember that your fellow Forum people are all volunteers, not paid, and it is their time they give to help. Treat them with respect. Do your own homework. Read, read, read, and then watch YouTube. Invest in your own excellence and then you will be able to enjoy this sport responsibly and with much more pleasure.

Happy flying and be kind to your fellow Forumistas.
Well said, and funny post. (I took it that way!)

Whathesay! I figured it out!

#16 - Hijack a question with pages of debate over sec 333. Or just go back and forth on any topic on someone else's thread, so we really have to look hard to find the informed opinions and knowledge sandwiched in there somewhere. I mean what fun is a forum without some drama? :rolleyes:

I find it funny that the worst offenders to forum policy are the ones who make the snide comments in a post like this.

I have less than zero desire to be a forum cop or enforcer of any sort. Just a wistful desire for folks to be nicer to each other, and to be more considerate about requests. I'm no admin, never played one on TV. Not my skill set.

Folks can even entertain themselves by using the 15 items and existing forum posts as a blackout bingo card, with item 1 as a freebie. Please do not do so on the forum, because identifying offenders in the list of unfortunate circumstances could be inflammatory.

True sports will not use the P3S subforum for bingo card entries... too easy, some single threads have nearly all 15. Something about the P3S threads... awful lot of material to work with there. Seems like the more, um, mature members in the older forums tend to be significantly less entitled and demanding.

Still chuckling at the P3S thread I saw this morning where someone (with 7 posts total) printed a blank list of 30 designer-level RF transmitter parameters (including arcana such as Spurious, 2nd, and 3rd Harmonic radiation specs), and then requested that forum members complete the filling out of the design document as pertinent to the P3S. You know, because researching those unpublished manufacturer's functional specifications up all on your own is work, and then who's going to collate all that research into one nice post?

A remotely polite person would say he's looking for research on these technical issues, and could anyone help him find a source (on line or otherwise) that he could mine for content. The entitled individual just says, Feed me pellets! Do it for me! Give me answers! No indication of what the info would be used for, and I have a distinct suspicion that such a person would not understand the technical implications of the content, were it to be magically provided to him.

It's not an admin intervention thing or a forum cop thing. I'm just amazed at the sheer chutzpah of some of these folks and what they ask, nay, demand from the community with not even a consideration as to the scope of their requests and the time required to fulfill such a breathtaking do-for-me. And a seeming unwillingness to help themselves.

There's a fine art to dealing with these folks directly. I've seen it done by senior members, but I don't have that refined skill set. There's too much Red Foreman in me, so I stay out of those conversations, and try to learn from the social graces of those who've spent many many hours contributing.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic