Thinking about buying a tablet instead of smartphone.

Reaction score
I have been considering buying a new android based tablet and using with the PV2+ instead of using my smartphone mainly for larger screen size. Can someone shed some light on how this is accomplished.

I know currently I use my smartphones and Verizons Wifi service to cache my maps for Ground Station waypoint use when I get to the flying location. My question is this, If I switch to a quality Android tablet purchased from local retailer I will no longer have my verizon wifi connection to cache maps on my tablet. I suppose I could use my phone as a hotspot and then access that wifi connection on my tablet and cache the maps and when finished turn off phone hotspot and then use tablet to log onto phantoms wifi connection and then I should have FPV on my android tablet with GS capability ?

If my line of thinking is correct please let me know and please recommend a good Android based tablet to use. I probably made that question harder than it needed to be but if anyone can help let me know. Thanks so much.

No you have answered your own question perfectly. I use the Samsung Galaxy tab3 8" and could never go back to using a smaller screen. I use my phone as a hotspot all the time the way you are thinking of doing or I just cache the maps of the area I'm going to fly in when I'm at home over wifi and then go out and fly. You wont be disappointed :)

I'm hoping to use a Kindle Fire HDX for the same purpose. It works great with the Phantom FC40 app with long range due to the Kindle's dual WIFI and dual antennae.
Sorry I can't answer your question though.

varmint said:
See my post here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18855&start=40
In particular, you really want/need a AMOLED screen if you want to see anything in daylight.
Hope it helps.

Can you recommend another tablet with the Amoled Screen maybe not as large or pricey? Yes, I am a tight wad but also don't want that large of a screen. I just need a monitor a little larger than my phone which is a Samsung Note II.

'Fraid not. Nothing on the market with AMOLED screens other than the Tab S.

I can tell you that I tried a Tab 4 7" when it was released a couple of months ago ($199) http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Ta ... B00J8DL78O, but it was simply impossible to see in daylight. It was also dog slow and the FPV that I could see was pathetically laggy, just like everything else on those cheap Tabs. Anyone that tells you they're fast is smoking foreign substances. Sent it back on the first bus to Amazon. Just like all my other tablets, including iPad, nothing worked until this Tab S. Great Wifi, great screen, and actually somewhat fast even with all the Samsung bloatware.

4wd said:
I find in practice the tablet is too much trouble and you are better with the phone you probably have anyway if away from home.
They are a nice thing to have anyway though - just expect that after trying it a few times you may revert to a phone most of the time.

Not me, or probably anyone else over the age of 40. A 10.5 oz tablet is a burden I'm more than happy to carry. I can't see jack **** on a phone anymore. Add daylight to that and I might as well just use a seeing eye dog that barks out the LED pattern.

varmint said:
4wd said:
I find in practice the tablet is too much trouble and you are better with the phone you probably have anyway if away from home.
They are a nice thing to have anyway though - just expect that after trying it a few times you may revert to a phone most of the time.

Not me, or probably anyone else over the age of 40. A 10.5 oz tablet is a burden I'm more than happy to carry. I can't see jack **** on a phone anymore. Add daylight to that and I might as well just use a seeing eye dog that barks out the LED pattern.

That's where I am at now. I am 46 and my eyesight has worsened and had to go to bifocals and I can not get used to them. I cannot where them when I eat or use my phone for a long time due to the bifocal messing with me so I take them off to do those two things. Being that I cannot use my glasses during flying I have trouble seeing the controls and its a tad blurry. I think going to the tablet will really help me a lot. Does the factory bracket hold that tablet or will I have to buy a different one?

I am using a Asus transformer Infinity tf700t and it is amazing put a proam sunshade on it and im good all day long in the sun!!! Very powerfull 10" tablet!! I allso have a asus google nexus 7 tablet and it is great as well not quite as large as the 10 inch but I've gone to great lengths to modify my 10 inch tablet and my 7 to fit right on my phone clip just get two of the phone clips mount to controller stick two gopro camera mounts on tablets on lower to middle back and put in phone clips and booom your set!!

kymedic121 said:
varmint said:
4wd said:

That's where I am at now. I am 46 and my eyesight has worsened and had to go to bifocals and I can not get used to them. I cannot where them when I eat or use my phone for a long time due to the bifocal messing with me so I take them off to do those two things. Being that I cannot use my glasses during flying I have trouble seeing the controls and its a tad blurry. I think going to the tablet will really help me a lot. Does the factory bracket hold that tablet or will I have to buy a different one?

There are a couple of mounts that will attach directly to the ball mount on the phone holder. Basically you just take off the clamp and attach the tab mount to it directly. This is the best one I've found. You remove the entire base (not needed) and just hook the clamp to the ball on the TX. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D4A ... UTF8&psc=1

This one also works, but is more bulky and less flexible in terms of moving the tablet off-center. http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-ST-TP01-C ... 1F6KRMWKFA

I found with using holders like the two that you're showing don't leave any room for sunshades to be attached not without a big hassle just my observation

I have just ordered a P3 and wonder if it will be compatible with my Samsung tab. It runs android 4.42. Anyone have any experience or clues.

A holder is going to have to make contact with a tablet one way or the other. In most cases, they can actually assist in securing the sunshade (if you use one) to the tablet, so I'm not sure I see the problem.

I added an Inspire 1 mount to my PV2+ radio last week, the problem with a sunscreen is the thickness that it adds under the table, coupled with the rounded back edges of the tablet; means the grippers on the holder can't get a purchase on the edge of the tablet.

They're too short with a sunshade under the tablet. Another 1/4" of vertical on those grippers and I'd be golden. I'm going to have to 3D print some extensions to secure the tablet in the Inspire 1 gripers if I ever hope to use the sunshade.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl