think i figured out how to initiate a flyaway!

Reaction score
long story so skip a few paragraphs if you dont care about the setup ;)

so i had the bright idea to attach a seahawks flag to my P2V in prep for this weekends big game against the niners. anyways i used 5 foot lengths of fishing line to attach to each skid and to each end of my flag which i was holding rigid using little dowels... anyways the prop wash was too much, and was creating too much drag on the p2v and so i brought her in and extended the lines to 15 feet each

anyways i go up and the flag is just not working out how i wanted to i decided to scrub the mission and bring her down and catch her out of the air and shut the engines down.

this is where it gets interesting... im holding the drone like up and down with the front pointed at the ground and i brace the skids and break the fishing line by pulling on them hard, then flip the drone to get at the other skid and repeat the process... the drone is on the whole time.. i then set her down on the ground (because i still wanna fly) and its not level the back end is leaning a little back but nothing i havent dealt with before.

i take off straight up to about 80 feet and start whipping it around and yawing and whatnot and keeping the camera pointed at me and circling, and then i notice the front end is dipping way over in GPS NAZA mode IOC off so i thought that is weird and i let off on all controls and it keeps going, and so im like oh cool first fly away

so i try to bring her back and shes just not responding well, but it not completely out of control.. so i fight with it for 10 seconds tops and then i switch to attitude mode, and control is a much better but still F'd up. i fight it and get it over me in a hover and start to bring it down slowly and then stop because it keeps trying to go forward so i reverse and lower it till i can catch it and kill power and then i shut it all off and i didnt stop the video before it shut down so i lost it of course. the only video i got was 5 seconds before take off with the flag attached haha

in hindsight i should have shut it down and power it back up on the ground to wait for a gps lock. ill recalibrate compass tomorrow in a field and try to fly again and see what happens... ive been noticing odd behavior over the last month of it drifting to the left so maybe its just coming to a head..

Perhaps want to recalibrate the IMU as well?

Put the microSD back in the Vision, power-Up for a minute, then power-Down. Your media should be good. On the almost "fly-away", consider you may have altered the alignment of the compass sensor attached to Vision's legs. That sensor does -not- like being moved w/respect to its GPS antenna.

iDrone

so re calibrated and set the compass up in the field and she flew like new! so definitely every time you come in for a landing and catch the drone out of the air, always shut down and power up again before next take off.

Migmon said:
so re calibrated and set the compass up in the field and she flew like new! so definitely every time you come in for a landing and catch the drone out of the air, always shut down and power up again before next take off.

I would be careful catching it out of the air, those blades do hurt when they hit you :D

I have seen a lot of videos of very harsh landings. You have to take your time and come in slowly. Unless there is an emergency there is no reason to rush it. Look at real helicopter pilots, they try to touch down as soft as they can.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31