There's no general threat using Google Assistant with Go 4 app. DJI Drone could kill…

Not DJI assistant Andy9, Google Assistant. I use it throughout my day. I did not fly over people until I lost control of the aircraft.Very soon we will all be using Virtual Assistants, millions are already. It's just going to be part of our lives, like it or not.

Very soon we will all be using Virtual Assistants, millions are already. It's just going to be part of our lives, like it or not.
Not I, nor anyone I know, uses Google Assistant, Alexa, or Cortana either... silly technology if you ask me, and your device is always listening to everything you say. The very first thing I do on any new device is turn all that crap off

OK, sorry it's Google assistant but everything I said refers to GA too.

Not I, nor anyone I know, uses Google Assistant, Alexa, or Cortana either... silly technology if you ask me, and your device is always listening to everything you say. The very first thing I do on any new device is turn all that crap off
Absolutely agree. Already have enough such crap as you say. It only waste your time and distracts your mind.

Reactions: umanbean
Your DJI Drone could kill you or someone close to you.
Or at least do some serious damage to you or people near you!

Please send this serious warning to as many places as possible.
If you are flying with an Android device and initiate Google Assistant with “Ok Google” or “Hi Google” and you are flying your DJI drone with DJI go app your aircraft becomes totally out of control.
Take a look at this video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I have been in constant contact with DJI, almost 20 emails for many weeks and they refuse to put out a general warning to DJI go app users not to engage Google Assistant.
Their response has been this.
“Kindly noted that I have updated the flightrecords as you provided back on MAR 21ST to the Field Application Engineering team…”
“As you mentioned, on your previous emails, it is unsafe for the people around. We appreciate your effort however to provide us with the needed records for our designated developers to review the flight and confirm your claimed issue with the DJI GO 4 app when used with the Google Assistant.”

DJI know there is a problem and a serious one. I know they are working very hard at solving the problem, but they are refusing to warn the public.

Please pass this warning to as many as you can.
I am quite new to this hobby, but can I ask why you have to use ok google why can't you get your screen right manually before take off as it is a bit silly to repeat this when you know what the problem is.

I do not use phones or tablets. I do not know how people cope with constantly looking up and down. I used to always lose sight of my drone. I only use the Epson BT 300 which are absolutely brilliant. I only used a phone for the video I made.
Do you have GA running on your BT300? If the answer is no you can probably rule out GA as being the cause of your seemingly uncontrolled flights. Start looking elsewhere.

I am quite new to this hobby, but can I ask why you have to use ok google why can't you get your screen right manually before take off as it is a bit silly to repeat this when you know what the problem is.
You might be new to the hobby, but you obviously have a good insight for problem solving, and at least a modicum of common sense... :) traits that seem to be quite rare these days.

Reactions: Willis1951
GA requires a beefy android (or IOS) to run on, the BT glasses r/c is way too underpowered to run any VA.
I know this, the instant I engaged GA both the P4P and Mavic 2 would shoot off out of control. So I think GA is in some way interfering with the communication system between the R/C and aircraft. DJI also think the same, they know there is an issue between GA and these two drones in flight.
I know it sounds bizarre in fact almost unbelievable. But it happens and thinking back it has happened many times.
I did at one stage offer to carry out a few experiments in a desert not too far away but DJI were very firm in advising me not to do it. I understand your doubts With The Birds.
In Fact I would be happiest if it was my particular case with my gear and will not happen with anyone else. Then I can find a way to solve my problem or just continue to switch my phone off before take off.
So I know it's hard to believe but I think there is a conflict between these to bits of tech.

What I am even more certain of is the increasing use of Virtual Assistants. Very, soon, most people, at least in the West will be using them in their homes and via their phones and with their drones. Homes are being built do day, with all the hardware ready for a VA in every room and the ability do do the same from your phone on the other side of the planet. Yes you will be able to have some control over your DJI drone by talking to it, and it talking to you. The AI on a VA would be an awesome advantage to us.
One example could be "Phantom, go to the ski jet switch into sports mode follow at a distance of 30 meters, zoom in to 4*, keep they guy piloting in focus, actually his face. Use the electronic and mechanical gimbal to correct and smooth out the times that you lose the ski jet of of the centre of the picture. When I push a stick give me control."
Or "Go over to that tree and take a picture of it to fill the frame."
I am sure you smart people can think of many good examples of a VA on a drone. I think VA is an amazing and exciting technology.

GA requires a beefy android (or IOS) to run on, the BT glasses r/c is way too underpowered to run any VA.
I know this, the instant I engaged GA both the P4P and Mavic 2 would shoot off out of control. So I think GA is in some way interfering with the communication system between the R/C and aircraft. DJI also think the same, they know there is an issue between GA and these two drones in flight.
I know it sounds bizarre in fact almost unbelievable. But it happens and thinking back it has happened many times.
I did at one stage offer to carry out a few experiments in a desert not too far away but DJI were very firm in advising me not to do it. I understand your doubts With The Birds.
In Fact I would be happiest if it was my particular case with my gear and will not happen with anyone else. Then I can find a way to solve my problem or just continue to switch my phone off before take off.
So I know it's hard to believe but I think there is a conflict between these to bits of tech.

What I am even more certain of is the increasing use of Virtual Assistants. Very, soon, most people, at least in the West will be using them in their homes and via their phones and with their drones. Homes are being built do day, with all the hardware ready for a VA in every room and the ability do do the same from your phone on the other side of the planet. Yes you will be able to have some control over your DJI drone by talking to it, and it talking to you. The AI on a VA would be an awesome advantage to us.
One example could be "Phantom, go to the ski jet switch into sports mode follow at a distance of 30 meters, zoom in to 4*, keep they guy piloting in focus, actually his face. Use the electronic and mechanical gimbal to correct and smooth out the times that you lose the ski jet of of the centre of the picture. When I push a stick give me control."
Or "Go over to that tree and take a picture of it to fill the frame."
I am sure you smart people can think of many good examples of a VA on a drone. I think VA is an amazing and exciting technology.
It’s too hard for me to believe. I flat out don’t believe it. Doesn’t mean it isn’t true though. I cant understand how a transmission from your phone that isn’t being used to fly the drone could control it. Worst case scenario would be interference with the control signal at which point the Mavic or Phantom would initiate RTH as with any other transmission signal loss.

This has been a great thread for me. It has sparked my interest in the BT-300 glasses. I will need to try a pair first though- I need readers for extreme close work (electronics soldering etc/ not so much reading) and am wondering if the display will be clear being so close to the eyes.

If you are flying with an Android device and initiate Google Assistant with “Ok Google” or “Hi Google” and you are flying your DJI drone with DJI go app your aircraft becomes totally out of control.
I have been in constant contact with DJI, almost 20 emails for many weeks and they refuse to put out a general warning to DJI go app users not to engage Google Assistant.
“Kindly noted that I have updated the flightrecords as you provided back on MAR 21ST to the Field Application Engineering team…”
“As you mentioned, on your previous emails, it is unsafe for the people around. We appreciate your effort however to provide us with the needed records for our designated developers to review the flight and confirm your claimed issue with the DJI GO 4 app when used with the Google Assistant.”

DJI know there is a problem and a serious one. I know they are working very hard at solving the problem, but they are refusing to warn the public.

I think that using such dramatic language is not helpful to the cause. What ever problem there is, there’s a workable solution. I do my best to ease the fear that the general public has about “drones”. Running with scissors could kill you or someone else.

Reactions: gringorio
I see a lot of assumptions being made here and some mistakes as well. I am still unclear on some of the claims but here are some observations.
  • I know not everyone can do this but I always fly with a dedicated device. I have two Android tablets and an Android phone which I use only for flights. GA may indeed in some way send strange commands to the Go4 app that causes these issues. That remains to be tested and proven. However this could happen with other apps on a general purpose phone as well. That is one reason why a dedicated device is best. On that device, disable automatic system and app updates, turn off WiFi, and if that device has cellular capabilities then put it in airplane mode.
  • One of the comments from the OP is that GA may be using some frequency that interferes with the controller. This doesn't make sense. GA doesn't use any frequencies or transmit any signals. It just automates tasks and interacts with the operating system and other apps.
  • The OP also said that this happened once even with the phone disconnected and in his pocket. I can't imagine how this could be the case. If it were the case then it could potentially mean that anyone in close proximity to a DJI drone/controller could make it go crazy just by using GA.
  • When initiating RTH, patience is always key. Let the drone do its job and give it time to return. Trying to perform other functions and or stick movements may well cancel RTH and get you more in trouble.
  • If/when the determination is made that perhaps GA was causing this issue, the best course of action would be to disconnect the USB cable from the phone, power off the phone, and then either fly the drone back safely manually or initiate RTH from the controller itself. The OP seemed to repeatedly restart Go4 and initiate RTH from within the app. If the problem was indeed with the phone, you don't know what functions were compromised. Cut out the problem link and go straight to the reliable component.
Awaiting for analysis of the flight logs to see what they tell us.
" On that device, disable automatic system and app updates, turn off WiFi, and if that device has cellular capabilities then put it in airplane mode." What are your recommendations for WiFi and Cellular enabled Ipad? Which should I keep on and which off?

" On that device, disable automatic system and app updates, turn off WiFi, and if that device has cellular capabilities then put it in airplane mode." What are your recommendations for WiFi and Cellular enabled Ipad? Which should I keep on and which off?
You can leave both on.

For the love of all that is holy, while in flight, why would anybody open any app or do ANYTHING with their tablet OTHER than fly their drone? 7 years of flying DJI products and I've never had the vehicle go rogue on me. I have DEDICATED iPads that have two jobs; Flying drones and mixing audio, and NOT at the same time. Everything else is turned off. I won't even have a clock app open when flying.

With all due respect, you seem to have brought this on yourself. These are complex mechanisms. You can't have a conversation with Siri WHILE flying. Hopefully, you learned a lesson from this. Best of luck to you.

D

Please do pass on the warning about using GA with the Go app. I have no doubt that sooner or later a DJI drone will do damage to things or worse people.

On a lighter note, you can't always trust Virtual Assistants.

I use word on my phone to create shopping lists. So lazy I don't type but speak into it. Its pretty efficient and fast.
But there are exceptions.
I put a reminder in this morning and said
"Paracetamol and ibuprofen."
I just looked at it and it said.
"Paracetamol and you have a boyfriend."
****! News to me, didn't know what the hell was happening, till it dawned on me.
Sorry for cross posts to other Pilots forums.

I have passed on the warning, but keep in mind that a lot of people have to die at the rail road crossing before they decide to put up the cross bar station.

This guy posted the same thing on Mavic Pilots. Pretty long thread there dissecting and tearing apart his claims.

From the title to the original post, this thread is sensationalism at its best

From the title to the original post, this thread is sensationalism at its best

Yeah, you nailed it.

Kinda my point in post #2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic