The Official "My P4 Range Is Too Short" Thread - Don't Start New Range Threads!

Sim, how is DBS comparable to windsurfers?
Well, they're not comparable except both may increase your range.
My contribution here is very narrow, I just wanted to let newer guys understand what their agenda is before buying into the mod. For me, I see no difference between the mod and stock, really, and yes it's done correctly. The reason for this isn't that the DBS isn't better then stock, it's my flying style, and area. If your a distance runner then you'll eventually get around to one of these. I read good things on both, one is $100 cheaper, and possible hours of hassle less (not the mods fault but the cheap thin crappy plastic DJI used in a bad run of shells)
As a newbie to this type of RC hobby take what I say with a huge grain of salt. There are guys with much more experience then I who may say something different, and I won't argue with them because of my limited time and not enough real testing as I got the mod quickly. In a week or less I should have both a new p4 with a stock remote and my modded p3p remote, I will put surfers on it and do some "punch" through test to see if indeed the mod works for this narrow area of test. Basically in a resort type area with 100' canopy of pine trees (as far as trees go pines are prolly the easiest to "punch" through, they're tall and skinny and not overly large in the leave footprints) I live 200m from a large lake, on a peninsula (almost an island) with a golf course surrounding homes, so this area is rife with background noise and lousy with 2.4ghz traffic.

Reactions: stefwalski
i ended up returning mine due to poor range issues...perhaps i just had a lemon, but I would get RTH activated at 3000 feet when my p3 can go almost 8000 feet in the same area!

under optimal conditions, they may be similar, but in non-optimum conditions, P3 wins.....at least from my experience

Reactions: stefwalski
i ended up returning mine due to poor range issues...perhaps i just had a lemon, but I would get RTH activated at 3000 feet when my p3 can go almost 8000 feet in the same area!

under optimal conditions, they may be similar, but in non-optimum conditions, P3 wins.....at least from my experience
So, or well, otherwise besides the range issue, what about the rest of the new options and stuff? Your saying obviously that to you, range is the most important or at least one of the most important things?
I'm thinking dual IMUs and the better gimbal/lens on camera with the vision system at 30' is a good deal for me. I have a RZR900LE that I plan on using with the drone, and the P3P here in Texas just won't have the room with all the trees, and the height needed is also a hindered effort, the P4 looks like it will be much better at following us at like 10-12'

This is what DJI is counting on -- most people fearing flying BVR. To them neutering the RC AND Lightbridge won't matter. WHY WOULD THEY NEUTER THEIR SYSTEM? Even in a flight in totally optimal conditions, he had to fly through poor video. I never would have had to on my P3P.

Hey listen I may be wrong myself when I say I bought mine thinking it would reach out to a distance of like 3.1 miles and it only will go like 3/4 of a mile and I ran up on this site and thought what a great site cause I am sure they are people here that can show some new flyers like me things that I am sure are right under our noses and I don't want to complaine because I love my phantom and more than anything just trying to figure out if it's something I am doing wrong cause I am seeing great post of people getting great distances out of theirs
They reduced their RC output AND Light Bridge output by 20% each. WHY? In lotions conditions ranges still be good, because of non-linearities of range vs power. In non-optimal conditions is where we'll be whacked. And we complain, and we're whiners. DJI pulled a fast one. For some purpose.

I'm sure they're also limited by FCC on how strong they can transmit over the 2.4 spectrum. With that being said if they cranked up the transmit power it would decrease battery life and everyone would still cry. Crying forever over anything. No ones happy, ever. DJI also doesn't force anyone to buy their products lol.

There are plenty of threads of people getting long distance ranges in optimal conditions.

"Whaaaaa there's a tornado outside and my p4 won't fly through it, whaaaaa"

"Whaaaaa I live in NY city with a super busy 2.4 spectrum and massive buildings but my phantom 4 isn't flying 3 miles away, whaaaaaaaaaa, why didn't stupid DJI give us military grade drones with satellite dishes to control it, whaaaaaaaaa"

I'm sure they're also limited by FCC on how strong they can transmit over the 2.4 spectrum. With that being said if they cranked up the transmit power it would decrease battery life and everyone would still cry. Crying forever over anything. No ones happy, ever. DJI also doesn't force anyone to buy their products lol.

There are plenty of threads of people getting long distance ranges in optimal conditions.

"Whaaaaa there's a tornado outside and my p4 won't fly through it, whaaaaa"

"Whaaaaa I live in NY city with a super busy 2.4 spectrum and massive buildings but my phantom 4 isn't flying 3 miles away, whaaaaaaaaaa, why didn't stupid DJI give us military grade drones with satellite dishes to control it, whaaaaaaaaa"

Funny. You are right. WiFi will never be able to break through all interference. That is why we supplied the ability to use Custom channels and reduce the transmission rate to improve the performance.

Reactions: chazzm
Hi guys,

This is the reading I got today after only 5,000 and something feet, over water in an area with no or minimal interference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 2,376
I wouldnt be really concerned on the warning and instead enjoy more of the fantastic view you actually got! Nice one.

Low signal at 1200 feet?

Hey everyone.

I took my P4 out on it's maiden flight and went around a park as I wanted to test the range a little bit. I was about 350 feet up at a distance of 1200 feet away and I started to lose RC signal. I was in clear LOS and nothing in between myself and the drone. Video reception didn't have any issues. I checked healthydrones.com and I can see that I had 78 signal errors at the time. Now, the low signal warning was only for a split second, but that seems odd at 1200 feet. I was honestly hoping to take it out at least a mile or 2. I've seen some videos of people getting 15-20K feet. Are my expectations too high or is that abnormal to get signal loss at 1200 feet?

Low signal at 1200 feet?

Hey everyone.

I took my P4 out on it's maiden flight and went around a park as I wanted to test the range a little bit. I was about 350 feet up at a distance of 1200 feet away and I started to lose RC signal. I was in clear LOS and nothing in between myself and the drone. Video reception didn't have any issues. I checked healthydrones.com and I can see that I had 78 signal errors at the time. Now, the low signal warning was only for a split second, but that seems odd at 1200 feet. I was honestly hoping to take it out at least a mile or 2. I've seen some videos of people getting 15-20K feet. Are my expectations too high or is that abnormal to get signal loss at 1200 feet?

You are seeing the channels switch. You can fly through that. I have posted that this is normal at 400m.

Reactions: Ramphex
So, or well, otherwise besides the range issue, what about the rest of the new options and stuff? Your saying obviously that to you, range is the most important or at least one of the most important things?
I'm thinking dual IMUs and the better gimbal/lens on camera with the vision system at 30' is a good deal for me. I have a RZR900LE that I plan on using with the drone, and the P3P here in Texas just won't have the room with all the trees, and the height needed is also a hindered effort, the P4 looks like it will be much better at following us at like 10-12'

I agree dual imu's and compasses, gimbal, build quality is better.

However I like distance flying. Flying to islands over 2 miles away, going over oil rigs out in sea, etc.

The obstacle avoidance is crap too. Yes it works most of the time, but there were many times I could have just ran it into something. It's hit or miss.

I guess, for my needs, P3P is better and the slightly better lens doesn't really make a difference in my opinion
Eyecon, any mods? Channels or windsurfers?
No mods, just stock

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj