The new no fly zones keep growing

If you were charging it in the car after it being discharged for 10 days, how did you fly the day before?

If you were charging it in the car after it being discharged for 10 days, how did you fly the day before?

I flew using my phone, so maybe the phone updated the drone on the new nfz? I have auto updates turned off though so the app didn't update. it must have done it in the background

I flew using my phone, so maybe the phone updated the drone on the new nfz? I have auto updates turned off though so the app didn't update it must have done it in the background
Ok, that's what I figured. So yeah, it must be a parameter saved bird side, like RTH height, etc, which as we know is controlled by the app and independent of which device you use to connect. So in order to test the hypothesis you would need to:

1) Downgrade the FW on the bird to a previous version. I believe FW downgrades reset all previously stored parameters on the bird.
2) Keep the data connection turned off on your tablet. Since it's the only virgin copy of the Go app.
3) Try flying with your tablet and the downgraded firmware.

If the NFZ is smaller, we know what's going on.

To be super diligent, upgrade the bird's FW and try flying w/ the tablet again. If the NFZ is still smaller, then we're certain the Go app is phoning home.

I
Ok, that's what I figured. So yeah, it must be a parameter saved bird side, like RTH height, etc, which as we know is controlled by the app and independent of which device you use to connect. So in order to test the hypothesis you would need to:

1) Downgrade the FW on the bird to a previous version. I believe FW downgrades reset all previously stored parameters on the bird.
2) Keep the data connection turned off on your tablet. Since it's the only virgin copy of the Go app.

To be super diligent, upgrade the bird's FW and try flying w/ the tablet again. If the NFZ is still smaller, then we're certain the Go app is phoning home.

Im going to try this and report back

Reactions: bbfpv
On 1.1.9 since day 1 and get red circles on my map but can still get up to 200-300m (can go more if I wanted to) without issues.

But hey I'm not a moron and always fly safe, don't want to endanger my own hobby of flying.

Not sure if there is a Canadian equivalent of the Hover app, but if there is that may tell you what is going on.

Just now, after reading this post I opened up Hover and found that there are temporary flight restrictions over huge areas on the East coast of the US, that weren't there a few days ago... Possibly due to the Pope visit next week? Not sure if my Phantom knows about these restrictions but I can test. My workplace is within the huge restriction circle but my home is not, so maybe I'll bring the Phantom to work tomorrow and see if it'll fly or not. That should tell us if our apps are 'phoning home' via a web service or not.

Just a thought. Maybe its just DJI playing safe so they can avoid any issues from law enforcement agencies. I think the amount of NFZ will continue to spread in built up areas.
I would bet that you are correct. DJI is being pro-active in the area of public safety. It's in their best interests not to piss off the authorities. One or two customers, yes. A regulatory body pressured by citizens incited by misleading news articles, no.

Not sure if there is a Canadian equivalent of the Hover app, but if there is that may tell you what is going on.

Just now, after reading this post I opened up Hover and found that there are temporary flight restrictions over huge areas on the East coast of the US, that weren't there a few days ago... Possibly due to the Pope visit next week? Not sure if my Phantom knows about these restrictions but I can test. My workplace is within the huge restriction circle but my home is not, so maybe I'll bring the Phantom to work tomorrow and see if it'll fly or not. That should tell us if our apps are 'phoning home' via a web service or not.
DJI doesn't use the Hover app to determine NFZs, so this tests nothing. The true test would be to fly before DJI adds the pope-zones to their map (assuming they do), and then immediately after, in order to determine whether NFZs are dynamic. An even truer test would be to do it w/ a live data connection, while someone w/ their data connection disabled does the same thing.

DJI doesn't use the Hover app to determine NFZs, so this tests nothing. The true test would be to fly before DJI adds the pope-zones to their map (assuming they do), and then immediately after, in order to determine whether NFZs are dynamic. An even truer test would be to do it w/ a live data connection, while someone w/ their data connection disabled does the same thing.
I don't think you read my entire post. What do you mean it tests nothing?

I don't think you read my entire post. What do you mean it tests nothing?
You'd be testing the NFZs appearing in the Hover app, which don't necessarily coincide w/ what DJI thinks are NFZs. DJI controls where you fly, not Hover. My suggestion was to determine if/when DJI adds the pope-zones to their list, and fly before/after with data off/on to see if NFZs are dynamic.

You'd be testing the NFZs appearing in the Hover app, which don't necessarily coincide w/ what DJI thinks are NFZs. DJI controls where you fly, not Hover. My suggestion was to determine if/when DJI adds the pope-zones to their list, and fly before/after with data off/on to see if NFZs are dynamic.
I guess my point was that since Hover's NFZs are sourced from FAA data, one would think that if DJI is doing dynamic NFZs based on FAA restrictions they are probably pulling from the same data set. If that is the case, and if our Phantoms are checking for NFZ via the app calling home, then my Phantom should fly at my home but not at my office.

I guess my point was that since Hover's NFZs are sourced from FAA data, one would think that if DJI is doing dynamic NFZs based on FAA restrictions they are probably pulling from the same data set. If that is the case, and if our Phantoms are checking for NFZ via the app calling home, then my Phantom should fly at my home but not at my office.
Now I understand. And yes, assuming that's the case, I would think so too.

I see that the entire Appalachian Trail and portions of the Hudson River have been designated NFZs. Also, Hover seems to be updating to include all stadiums and public sites as fast as they can.

Now I understand. And yes, assuming that's the case, I would think so too.
I dug a little deeper. Temporary restriction issued 9/10, effective 9/26 -9/28. "Temporary flight restrictions for Special Security Reasons". Restriction is 'from the surface up to and including 17999 ft...'

I'll try to take off for a very very brief, very, very low flight test on the 26th within the outer edge of the zone (I'm nowhere near where the Pope will be) and see if the Phantom is dynamically aware of temporary restrictions or not. If the NFZ is dynamically downloaded to the Phantom, it theoretically shouldn't even allow a takeoff.

The GO app phones home anytime you connect your tablet or phone to the internet. It logs you and and then when you sync your flight logs, it probably downloads the updates to the no-fly zones. So I suspect it is very dynamic. Also not be paranoid but what is DJI doing with all the data in the flight logs? There is no privacy statement that says they will not share their information they just upload it to their servers. It is like all the sites that let you upload log files, they all sell the data to 3rd parties. Read the privacy statement and conditions before you upload your log files or sign up. They have to pay for the storage and bandwidth somehow. Data could be used for all kinds of research.

Alan

So I tried to downgrade the firmware and use my tablet and I can report that the no fly zone is definitely on the satellite side. It has nothing to do with firmware, or app software.

I downgraded the p3 to firmware 1.19 and used a tablet that is running dji go 2.02 (with no data connection for 10 days) and it would not take off.

Interesting to note that I was able to initialize the motors briefly while it was looking for satellites but as soon as it got to 7-8 it shut the motors down and told me I was in a no fly zone.

I

did all of this with no success I even tried flying without an screen first, got 11 green lights and then reds when I tried to start the motors

If the app is phoning home, it should be able to pull game schedules for stadiums instead of blanket NFZ.

What Canadian city are you in? Is it possible there's a TFR/NOTAM for the federal leaders coming thru for the federal election campaign?

No this is a permanent fly zone above the skydome, there are no events planned there this week. I just don't get why the radius is so large around the stadium.

If it's no phoning home, how would it know there's a no fly zone with the older software ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues