The Motor rotation again

Reaction score
Forgive me if I appear mad. I am in the process of rebuilding a Phantom 4 pro which involves 4 motors. Depending on who you speak to they say all motors are identical it’s the ESC bank which controls rotation direction. DJI quote Part 23 and Part 24 as CCW and CW respectively.

Who is correct before I go mad ? Many thanks

J

Are there manufacturers part numbers on the motors? If so, are they all the same or different?
** Update **. Just found this.

DJI designs and manufactures all of its motors in-house and tunes them so that each motor is optimized for the aircraft it is paired with, from the Phantom 4 to the M600.

Also read the CW and CCW motors may have different colored wires. Something to check.

Last edited:
Do the DJI parts you list included the prop mounts? If so are the prop mounts not handed?
If I remember correctly there is a post somewhere on here or the DJI forum itself which mentions that these sort of motors can be reversed by swapping over two connections, sorry I can't remember where and you'd need to do a search for it if you want to read it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the prop mounts are sided but if all motors turn in one direction the grey top props will present the trailing edge to the wind.

ALL brushless motors can run in both directions - swap any two wires and it will rotate in opposite direction.

BUT with Multi-rotors - you need handed SHAFTS as most like DJI are threaded prop hubs or quick release. That means you must buy 2 CW and 2 CCW motors.

Reactions: giorgimonk
There’s only one universal motor for the Phantom 4. Rotation is determined by the ESC board. Hook up the color-coded wires to their position on the ESC board and you’ll be fine.

CW and CCW is built into the circuitry, not the motor.

Reactions: D_B
Forgive me if I appear mad. I am in the process of rebuilding a Phantom 4 pro which involves 4 motors. Depending on who you speak to they say all motors are identical it’s the ESC bank which controls rotation direction. DJI quote Part 23 and Part 24 as CCW and CW respectively.

Who is correct before I go mad ? Many thanks

J
The motors spin by the direction you connect the wires to the ESC. the reason you have CW & CCW is mainly for putting the props on. You can change the direction by alternating the ground and power wire on the ESC and the middle wire is your control wire that sends the signal for how much power to give them.. I've been a drone tech for many years. I've retired for health reasons but I still get offers to work with some of the biggest companies in the drone industry. If that's not what you are asking, let me know and I'll try to help.

The motors spin by the direction you connect the wires to the ESC. the reason you have CW & CCW is mainly for putting the props on. You can change the direction by alternating the ground and power wire on the ESC and the middle wire is your control wire that sends the signal for how much power to give them.. I've been a drone tech for many years. I've retired for health reasons but I still get offers to work with some of the biggest companies in the drone industry. If that's not what you are asking, let me know and I'll try to help.
FYI, this thread is from 2019.

Reactions: Mark The Droner

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl