The long journey to using IOC

Saudio, try this.

Take off and fly the P3 to the altitude and course you want. Hover.
Flip to F. A warning screen will come up.
Select Course Lock and push apply to accept your course.
In a hover, adjust the camera angle with left stick and gimble control.
Now use your right stick only (forward or aft) to move along your selected "locked" course.

You can even move along your course (with right stick forward or aft) and spin the P3 in yaw (left stick right or left) as you go.

Warning: practice in a wide open area until you are confident in what the sticks are doing in course lock...

Thanks, I'm waiting for the wind to die down to give this a try. 20mph gusting to 40mph right now.

I may have read about "course lock" incorrectly. I'm going to try this today if the wind dies. I believe you are correct. If this works I'll need an address to send you a beer!
You might want to send one to me as I suggested this as your first response to your problem! Good luck out there.

OK, beer's on me. Can't fly anyway in this stupid wind. ;-)

Seriously, thanks. I had just not read carefully enough about Course Lock, and the whole IOC switch thing was a red herring. Still, I feel pretty bent about having to box my drone up and send it to California for absolutely nothing. And I was very specific about what was wrong with it in the paperwork I sent in, yet they swapped out the main board and called it "fixed". No beer for DJI.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Seriously, thanks. I had just not read carefully enough about Course Lock, and the whole IOC switch thing was a red herring. Still, I feel pretty bent about having to box my drone up and send it to California for absolutely nothing. And I was very specific about what was wrong with it in the paperwork I sent in, yet they swapped out the main board and called it "fixed". No beer for DJI.
Yes, that really bites. Wish you could have found this forum before going through all that. Hopefully you weren't charged anything.

The IOC switch is a relic of old software/firmware and should have been removed (unless they kept it there for legacy reasons, which makes some sense). Personally, I find the Go app GUI to be less than satisfying.

Cheers!

Just wanted to report back that you guys were 100% correct, the Course Lock does exactly what I was trying to do, it works perfectly, and the IOC enable button is a dead relic. So I got everything working just in time to find out my house is 4.9 miles from an airport. Crap. I can still fly but I'm in a heavily wooded area and the altitude restriction gets me barely above the treetops. I'll be searching here to see if there are any work arounds. Thanks again, great forum.

Just call the airport. I haven't heard of. Anyone having a bad experience yet.... 400 AGL should get ya above them trees.... Unless you live on Pandora. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just call the airport. I haven't heard of. Anyone having a bad experience yet.... 400 AGL should get ya above them trees.... Unless you live on Pandora. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Can elaborate on how that works?

Just wanted to report back that you guys were 100% correct, the Course Lock does exactly what I was trying to do, it works perfectly, and the IOC enable button is a dead relic. So I got everything working just in time to find out my house is 4.9 miles from an airport. Crap. I can still fly but I'm in a heavily wooded area and the altitude restriction gets me barely above the treetops. I'll be searching here to see if there are any work arounds. Thanks again, great forum.
The app forces an altitude limit? If so, nothing you can do except find a different area to fly. Hop on Google maps and have a good look around your area. You'll be surprised how many there will be to check out. It's usually better to fly away from your home and neighborhood. It keeps the peace with the neighbors. We have to be willing to find good open areas that are clear to fly. That's usually not in our backyards for most of us. Scout a good area or two. You'll be glad you did.

The app forces an altitude limit? If so, nothing you can do except find a different area to fly. Hop on Google maps and have a good look around your area. You'll be surprised how many there will be to check out. It's usually better to fly away from your home and neighborhood. It keeps the peace with the neighbors. We have to be willing to find good open areas that are clear to fly. That's usually not in our backyards for most of us. Scout a good area or two. You'll be glad you did.

Yes, but the altitude it's restricting me to doesn't make sense according to the information I've been able to find. The further away from an airport I'm the higher I'm supposed to be able to fly. At 1.5 miles the restriction is 35 feet, and 5 miles away it's 400 feet. I'm 4.8 miles from the airport and can only go to 150 feet now. I started a thread about it so maybe I will learn more.

Thanks

Remember with "Course Lock", it will register your "course" related to which way the nose of your P3 is facing when you set it. You probably already knew that though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic