The Gorge

Reaction score
Wanted to film this gorge since I received my P3A. Nearly turned disastrous when I reached the bottom near the river and lost all GPS. With the wind and close quarters I had to maneuver quickly and then punch the altitude and regain GPS. Last half is at altitude. The chaos was cut from this final clip.

Awesome video! Here is one I shot with my P2V+. I haven't got the chance to get my P3 out to any falls yet.

Reactions: Fplvert
Brett,
If you don't publish the chaos, I will... well, I will probably just do without. But come on, your video is way cool, share the rest. Why not?

Thanks

Wanted to film this gorge since I received my P3A. Nearly turned disastrous when I reached the bottom near the river and lost all GPS. With the wind and close quarters I had to maneuver quickly and then punch the altitude and regain GPS. Last half is at altitude. The chaos was cut from this final clip.

Go on, be a devil! Give us the full clip WITH THE CHAOS, life is boring without plenty of chaos!!

If you shoot anything id love to see it. Post it on here.

Why didn't the visual and ultrasonic stability work when the GPS was lost?
Wouldn't that have kept it stable despite no GPS? I thought that was the whole idea of that system so you could shoot indoors, or in places like this where GPS may not be available.

Did you have VPS on or off? Based on some of the comments we've heard about problems when the GPS signal was lost and the fact that you were mostly over water when you lost GPS, the VPS may have created more trouble than if it were off.

When you lost GPS, how did the Phantom act? What did you do to prevent disaster?

Your video is really nice! The fact that you felt comfortable flying there and were able to recover from near disaster says a lot about your piloting skills.

Thanks for sharing your video and this story.

Chris

Did you have VPS on or off? Based on some of the comments we've heard about problems when the GPS signal was lost and the fact that you were mostly over water when you lost GPS, the VPS may have created more trouble than if it were off.

When you lost GPS, how did the Phantom act? What did you do to prevent disaster?

Your video is really nice! The fact that you felt comfortable flying there and were able to recover from near disaster says a lot about your piloting skills.

Thanks for sharing your video and this story.

Chris
Yes, video positioning was active and I think contributed to instability as I was directly over the water. But instability continued at altitude because of the wind in the gorge. I also think the stability using GPS caused me not to consider the strong wind gusts until GPS was gone...note to self!

Yes, video positioning was active and I think contributed to instability as I was directly over the water. But instability continued at altitude because of the wind in the gorge. I also think the stability using GPS caused me not to consider the strong wind gusts until GPS was gone...note to self!

Good points that we should all learn from. Thanks!

Reactions: IflyinWY
I have to agree, loosing GPS in canyons, or gorges can be very exciting. :eek:

Now where's the rest of that video??? :D

I have to agree, loosing GPS in canyons, or gorges can be very exciting. :eek:

Now where's the rest of that video??? :D
OK, here's the part that still makes my stomach churn. Instability really kicks in at 22 second mark. Even after gaining elevation the drone was drifting fast into the gorge wall - took some time to regain GPS lock. Enjoy.

Did you check your props to see if they hit the branch? :eek:
That was as close as it gets. Nice exit.

Make a "STICKY" out of that video, titled "Stay out of the **** gorge". LOL

Thank you for taking the time to put that up for us. I'll watch it when I need a bit of a startle.

OK, here's the part that still makes my stomach churn. Instability really kicks in at 22 second mark. Even after gaining elevation the drone was drifting fast into the gorge wall - took some time to regain GPS lock. Enjoy.

Whew, I was stressed out watching that, even though I knew there was a happy ending. Why did the camera tilt sideways like that those few times?

Whew, I was stressed out watching that, even though I knew there was a happy ending. Why did the camera tilt sideways like that those few times?
The P3 was drifting fast into the wall. Even when I'd yaw away hard it would drift right back. Close call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues