The FAA Will Not Let You Fly Commercial W/O A Pilot Certificate

• Thread starter Deleted member 29014
  • Start date
Shoot, I stand corrected!

I read their application a few weeks ago and in it they request it but the FAA ends up ignoring that specific request. I assumed as it was the first time I had read any of the 333's that their application if submitted and approved would infer acceptance by the FAA.

But I went back again and see the FAA responds and approves their application but specifically points out which exemptions they approve and then to cover all their bases rattles off a laundry list of conditions, which include the Pilot's Certificate requirement.

Sorry Luis, my bad.
I respect your acknowledgement of error.
I am concerned about the number of young, immature newbies that are going to only read the postings that confirms their preconceptions.

All together now: :"The FAA Will Not Let You Fly Commercial W/O A Pilot Certificate" at least not until they get the lead out and establish the UAV certificate, any time now , just hold my hand and I'll take you there....some tiiiiime...some dayyyy....somewheeereeeeee.

Sorry for the obscure reference...

Disagree. As a licensed pilot I cannot take a seat in the back of the plane, analogous to standing to the side while an unlicensed pilot flies the UAV, and maintain to the FAA that I "Had final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight;"
The intent of the rules is just as important as the written words. Your definition devalues the meaning of "pilot in command" and USAA is not going to put their exemption on the line by getting cute with definitions.

Just to be clear, that is not 'my' definition of PIC, it's the Federal Government's. I don't think we can infer any 'intent' as these rules were not written to consider UA.

Shoot, I stand corrected!

I read their application a few weeks ago and in it they request it but the FAA ends up ignoring that specific request. I assumed as it was the first time I had read any of the 333's that their application if submitted and approved would infer acceptance by the FAA.

But I went back again and see the FAA responds and approves their application but specifically points out which exemptions they approve and then to cover all their bases rattles off a laundry list of conditions, which include the Pilot's Certificate requirement.

Sorry Luis, my bad.
No problem, It can get complicated, I've read a couple dozen of these **** things and I still pick up on nuances now and then. I am concerned about misinformation to the noobies.
All together now":"The FAA Will Not Let You Fly Commercial W/O A Pilot Certificate"
at least not until the feds get off the dime, there's a place in time....some dayyy....some tiiiiime.....somewheeereeee

Sorry, couldn't resist the obscure reference.

you are operating illegally and can receive a fine from the guberment.
This is actually untrue. The FAA has no rule to enforce if an uncertified pilot flies a hobby aircraft for compensation. If you do have an FAA-issued Private Pilot Certificate, you could be cited for a violation of 14 CFR 61.113 'Private pilot privileges and limitations-Pilot in command'. The FAA does have a rule prohibiting a commercial flight with a Private Pilot certificate.

As Luiz said, anyone can get a Section 333 exemption, but only someone who holds an FAA Airman's Certificate may fly the UAS for commercial purposes subject to the Conditions and Limitations listed in the Exemption Letter.

The Part 107 rules when finalized will create a new class of Airman's Certificate for small commercial UAS operations. A written exam, but no practical exam (flight test) will be required every two years to stay current.

Even if you already have a Pilot certificate, the PArt 107 NPRM specifies that the the operator of a small UAS in commercial operations will still need to pass the written test and hold an "Unmanned Aircraft Operator Certificate with Small UAS Rating". In my comment to the NPRM I recommended that an already certificated pilot should just need to add the Small UAS rating to their current certificate. Let's see if they listened.

Just to be clear, that is not 'my' definition of PIC, it's the Federal Government's. I don't think we can infer any 'intent' as these rules were not written to consider UA.
Understood. I'm positive, as a licensed pilot, the FAA never intended to define PIC as a guy standing aroun kinda , sort off, close to the controls...But as the primary operator. That is how flight time is recorded in the pilot's logbook. just saying

Not entirely or literally accurate, the operator of the drone doesn't have to have a pilot's license. I looked up my insurance company and found them with an approved 333 exemption. I read the whole application. Their pilots, who have hands on the sticks, don't have to have a pilots license. But a licensed pilot who overseas operations in the field has to to be there with them and they also have a formalized and official UAV program at their company etc etc etc
You are wrong. What is the name of the insurance company or their Exemption number, and I will show you condition #13 in their exemption letter which requires the person operating the controls to be a certificated pilot.

Period!

The FAA will never issue an exemption from the requirement that the PIC, the person maneuvering the UAS, be a certificated airman.

I have no doubt that the FAA will require some sort of certificate. What I am more curious about is, will they require some one with an Airman's certificate to get a separate certificate for sUAV operations.

edit: Well I should have continued reading. sounds like they will require one.

I have no doubt that the FAA will require some sort of certificate. What I am more curious about is, will they require some one with an Airman's certificate to get a separate certificate for sUAV operations.

edit: Well I should have continued reading. sounds like they will require one.

No one here KNOWS, although we do read some very authoritative-sounding posts in this forum.

The only answer to your question is "maybe" or "maybe not" unless the poster is an FAA manager directly involved in the process, and even then I doubt Michael Huerta (FAA Administrator) would permit official policy announcements to be first disclosed in a forum.

As a holder of a commercial certificate, I fully expect to be required to take a written exam to get my UAV operator certificate, OR perhaps the FAA will go with a UAV endorsement to my current license. Sort of the same as SEL, MEL, etc. Either way, I'm currently enrolled in an online ground school to polish my textbook knowledge to prepare for either scenario. I plan to be first in line to take the exam and get it over with.

To summarize, no one here knows what the final UAV rules will look like, even the feds don't know yet. but it sure is fun to speculate.

So how may hours do you need to complete a ground school?
Depends on the provider. No FAA rules on UAV ground schools yet, but as it always happens in America, smart entrepenours (sp?) will raise to meet a demand. If you are referring to a private pilot ground school, I don't know. I completed my private in 1970 and my commercial in 1976. I'm sure you can do an online search and find a few. In my times there was no internet, I had to ride a brontosaurus to get to the airport and sit in the class.
True story, I learned to fly, 1969, before I learned to drive; had to take the bus to the airport for my flight lessons (thank you Civil Air Patrol) The CAP paid for my license.:)

Reactions: Brad Pierce
Question of the day.
If used for commercial purposes I would say yes under the current understanding of the regs.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4