The FAA has a PUBLIC search tool that allows anyone to look at your info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
In this video I have a link to the FAA search engine that allows ANYONE, including thieves to look up peoples personal addresses of people who own various models of drones, including Phantom 3s, Phantom 2s, Inspire 1s, 3DR Solos, etc...

In this video I have a link to the FAA search engine that allows ANYONE, including thieves to look up peoples personal addresses of people who own various models of drones, including Phantom 3s, Phantom 2s, Inspire 1s, 3DR Solos, etc...

That's weird because.... I didn't tell them what kind of drone I had... Just my name, address and email. Maybe this has to do with N-Numbers?

Try it! Type in "DJI" in manufacterer, and "Phantom 3" in model and see what comes up!

...and yes, I can see that this too may be for those with a 333 exemption, yet they will do the same thing for hobbiests, according to Forbes

How about a thief types in an area, and it gives them a list of houses that drone operators are registered?

See the link below

FAA Finally Admits Names And Home Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

Last edited:
Yes... this is just for N-Numbers (I tried it) - I don't know how it would work with the simple drone registration because I did not have to give them any drone information. The best they (the thieves you are concerned about) apparently could do is get my registration number and search by that... which I find pretty unlikely since they would have to get close to my Phantom to get that number.

N numbers being searchable has been true forever......

I appreciate you are concerned, but - unless you are going for an N-Number with a 333 exemption... I don't think this is something most of us hobbyists need to worry about. (Forbes doesn't even explain how people would use this database... they are just speculating... which isn't journalism to me)

I also did a search by my name... and my registration did not come up

Reactions: Discoverydave
Yes... this is just for N-Numbers (I tried it) - I don't know how it would work with the simple drone registration because I did not have to give them any drone information. The best they (the thieves you are concerned about) apparently could do is get my registration number and search by that... which I find pretty unlikely since they would have to get close to my Phantom to get that number.

N numbers being searchable has been true forever......

I appreciate you are concerned, but - unless you are going for an N-Number with a 333 exemption... I don't think this is something most of us hobbyists need to worry about. (Forbes doesn't even explain how people would use this database... they are just speculating... which isn't journalism to me)

I also did a search by my name... and my registration did not come up

You are giving valid points. However, with the PROVEN track record of the federal government for mishandling personal information, I would think you, and many other would be skeptical of the government intent, and their ability to handle your info properly.

Below is a link to an article that states that 22.1 MILLION peoples personal information has been mismanaged. This includes security clearance info that is MUCH more detailed than any credit card company, or bank has on you.

Hacks of OPM databases compromised 22.1 million people, federal authorities say

This is ALSO the same government that shipped LIVE anthrax across the country recently. I would think a little more skepticism is in order....

Pentagon says ‘live anthrax’ inadvertently shipped across US | Fox News

You are giving valid points. However, with the PROVEN track record of the federal government for mishandling personal information, I would think you, and many other would be skeptical of the government intent, and their ability to handle your info properly.

Below is a link to an article that states that 22.1 MILLION peoples personal information has been mismanaged. This includes security clearance info that is MUCH more detailed than any credit card company, or bank has on you.

Hacks of OPM databases compromised 22.1 million people, federal authorities say

This is ALSO the same government that shipped LIVE anthrax across the country recently. I would think a little more skepticism is in order....

Pentagon says ‘live anthrax’ inadvertently shipped across US | Fox News

I get that the government has mismanaged a lot. It's just that I am arguing that this particular case is pretty hard to reverse engineer into a way someone (a thief) could come and steal your drone (without already knowing you have one).

The Government isn't (BY A LONG SHOT) the only entity to mismanage personal information. In fact, private and publicly held companies have done their fair share of damage to people's privacy and financial information.

My point is... I get it that there is a risk. I just don't see the risk as any higher than using a website to order something and giving your name and address... if someone hacks that info they would know you ordered that large screen TV or computer etc.

I understand the skepticism.... just think that it's disingenuous to limit it to the government and this particular issue.

And, for the record, this is merely my opinion....

Reactions: Meta4
I get that the government has mismanaged a lot. It's just that I am arguing that this particular case is pretty hard to reverse engineer into a way someone (a thief) could come and steal your drone (without already knowing they have one).

The Government isn't (BY A LONG SHOT) the only entity to mismanage personal information. In fact, private and publicly held companies have done their fair share of damage to people's privacy and financial information.

My point is... I get it that there is a risk. I just don't see the risk as any higher than using a website to order something and giving your name and address... if someone hacks that info they would know you ordered that large screen TV or computer etc.

I understand the skepticism.... just think that it's disingenuous to limit it to the government and this particular issue.

And, for the record, this is merely my opinion....

You are clouding the issue a little bit. We are talking about the government, and you are saying what amounts to "why bother, your info can be stolen from any credit other company"

Just because others can mismanage your info does not make it okay.

Secondly, we are not talking about "reverse engineering" anything. A tool has been created, and it is active. The government is WAY behind the industry in their abilities and knowledge of computers.

Yes that tool we are talking about may have always been there for pilots, but that is WAY different. Knowing that someone is a pilot is different than knowing the personal address of people who have expensive drones in their home.

Thirdly, there will be a LOT more private citizens who's info will be available. This includes kids age 13 and up...

My fourth point is that just because something has always been done a certain way is a foolish argument to say that is why it should continue to be done that way.

Yes, I am picking one issue. The over riding issue, is I believe this is an invasion of peoples personal liberties.

I also believe this law is illigal in two ways.

One is, the FAA by law, must allow a 30 to 60 day public comment period before enacting a mandate.

Two is, according to a law passed in 2012 the FAA has no jurisdiction over hobby drones.

I am trying to make a point that people who don't care about the law, and personal liberty can relate to.

:)

You are clouding the issue a little bit. We are talking about the government, and you are saying what amounts to "why bother, your info can be stolen from any credit other company"

Just because others can mismanage your info does not make it okay.

Secondly, we are not talking about "reverse engineering" anything. A tool has been created, and it is active. The government is WAY behind the industry in their abilities and knowledge of computers.

Yes that tool we are talking about may have always been there for pilots, but that is WAY different. Knowing that someone is a pilot is different than knowing the personal address of people who have drones in their home.

Thirdly, there will be a LOT more private citizens who's info will be available. This includes kids age 13 and up...

My fourth point is that just because something has always been done a certain way is a foolish argument to say that is why it should continue to be done that way.

:)

I see your points... sure... I'll sign a petition to keep the data private. I just don't think... having gone through the process (which I am assuming you have not) that there are many ways people could get this info without knowing a key piece of info.... but based on your original argument... unless the data was just accidentally released - I don't even know how searchable it would be (unlike N numbers which are clearly displayed on the tails of airplanes)....

I see your points... sure... I'll sign a petition to keep the data private. I just don't think... having gone through the process (which I am assuming you have not) that there are many ways people could get this info without knowing a key piece of info.... but based on your original argument... unless the data was just accidentally released - I don't even know how searchable it would be (unlike N numbers which are clearly displayed on the tails of airplanes)....

Thank you for your realization that how this info will be handled remains to be seen, and that it is valid to be concerned about how this will be stored and used.

I will register by February 19th, which is what the AMA has stated. I am also expecting law suites from multiple fronts on this, and hoping for some aggressive legal representation, and an intelligent solution to this.

Thank you. Would you like to sum this up?

I will try.

One person puts together a post of a valid concern.

Others ignore that the point is valid, and just say what amounts to "You can trust them, they are the government, you are just being paranoid"

I will say the government has a CLEAR track record of recent abuse of power, and trampling peoples personal liberties. Things proven in court, on the news, and in congressional hearings.

These issues apply to you no matter what side of the isle you may sit on.

Whether you personally care how your information is handled, you really SHOULD care, what information is gathered, if the justification is real, and how it might be managed.

I understand this is tough for some people because they did not grow up in a free society.

I will say this. You should NEVER just simply trust that the government is doing the right thing.

Should there be measures to keep these safe? Yes.

Is registration going to help? I doubt it. Once the damage from this hasty law happens, it may be irreversible for some.

DJI has already written into the software that you can't fly withing 5 miles of any airport, or 15 miles of DC. They have also written in that you can't fly above 400 feet.

That seems pretty safe to me!

Seems pretty easy for them to write in some code that prevents misuse. There are also logs built into the app, so if someone DID do something they shouldn't have, there are ways to prove it.

ALSO, it was pretty easy for the Secret Service to find the idiot that flew that drone onto the White House lawn WITHOUT a registry.

Hey there folks!

I just don't have the stamina I would like to have to keep this discussion going on multiple fronts. I believe this is VERY important to talk about and debate, and but I just don't have the energy to keep coming back and adding to the discussion.

I believe I have made my points clear. I believe I have debated in a respectful, and meaningful way to this discussion.

I really hope others take up this conversation, and make their points, both for AND against.

I may stop by in the future, but for now, I am going to just retract. If you want my attention, please comment on the video I made directly on my channel.

Thank you all, and I sincerely hope you continue to talk about this issue!

The Suburban Hippie Experimentalist :)

I have found over the years that a perceived normal progression of "what is going to happen now" (chicken little as another member points out) stemming from an event or in our case the ownership of a Quad just doesn't happen.

A logical progression that would lead to a demise of the situation just quietly falls away and we are left with ..what happened there I wonder.
Unless it is constantly given fuel then we need not fret to much, we see it all the time.

I can see the OP's point, and how easy it would be to modify the registry to accomodate such a
search engine, but at the registry's current standard, given a search engine existed, the criminal
would have no idea if you owned a $50 drone or a $5k drone. It's still important to watch how the
Registration evolves, because the next step might be the one that goes too far.

Reactions: Meta4
Sheesh. Property records are public information too. All a crook has to do is get online and look up high-dollar tax valuations. Then go break into those houses. Won't need to know whether or not you own a drone.... if you live in a $1.5mil house, you got nice stuff.

Reactions: Meta4 and JBG
My wife babysits in some of these million + homes and surprisingly enough they have nothing except a red lounge suite and retro chrome/nickle lamp stands, more than half of them.

They seem to all have a telescope for some obscure reason she says.
Just saying.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
My wife babysits in some of these million + homes and surprisingly enough they have nothing except a red lounge suite and retro chrome/nickle lamp stands, more than half of them.

They seem to all have a telescope for some obscure reason she says.
Just saying.

Can you elaborate on the telescope comment?

Can you elaborate on the telescope comment?
They use the telescopes to read the registration numbers of drones, which they then use to access the FAA registry and sell the information to the thieves. How else do you think they can afford to stay in those houses?

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav