That crappy gimbal lock

Reaction score
Is it just me or is the gimbal lock that came in the package really sub par? When it's on all it takes to make it fall off is to pick up the drone... Shouldn't it be just a little bit tighter so that you actually have to use your hand to remove it?? Do you think better options will be available from 3rd parties?

Is it just me or is the gimbal lock that came in the package really sub par? When it's on all it takes to make it fall off is to pick up the drone... Shouldn't it be just a little bit tighter so that you actually have to use your hand to remove it?? Do you think better options will be available from 3rd parties?

There is a tab on the lock the needs to slid into a slot on the gimbal. Once this is done, its a nice tight fit.

Hey, I went that exact same route, could not get it to fit tight and had to look to fund the slot. It's easier to put on knowing this. I have a great gimbal lock for my P2 that covers the lens as well. DJI really should have made a better lock.

The gimbal lock was lying loose in the box. Not having seen it in place, I'm still trying to work out how it fits...

The gimbal lock was lying loose in the box. Not having seen it in place, I'm still trying to work out how it fits...

Yeah mine too. Freaked me out at first, but gimbal is okay. Luckily I have the P2 so I knew how it fit. But it's not the greatest for sure.

I dont have a picture in front of me but that long skinny L shape hugs the bottom of the camera. then on the top the is a narrow tab that slides right into a channel at the side.If the camer lens is facing you, it would be the right side. if I remember correctly.

gimbal.jpg

Thanks for that, Daniel. I still needed the wife's help to sort it out...doh!

Yeah, it's like Spey casting with a 15' double-handed salmon rod: easy when you know how. :)

Is it necessary to store it with this in place? Or traveling with the Phantom in a case? It's such a pain to get off.. I'm afraid I might damage the gimbal. Or maybe I'm just not doing it right

Is it necessary to store it with this in place? Or traveling with the Phantom in a case? It's such a pain to get off.. I'm afraid I might damage the gimbal. Or maybe I'm just not doing it right
It's a good idea yes. Just don't push it into place so hard....I was squeezing it in there till I finally realized just a slight amount of pressure will lock it in place

I've got issues too. When it came in the box the gimbal clamp was not on and I can't get it on straight. I see the wedge and where it goes, but the clamp appears to be too big to fit properly.
The gimbal appears to work fine and looks straight. The gimbal clamp looks like all the corners on it are square, I think it just tries to wedge the camera apart from the base plate (where the SD card is).
Gimbal front on.jpg Gimbal side on.jpg
I talked to the reseller and they said they had noticed another one where the clamp was off when they unboxed too.

Am I doing some thing wrong or is it just poorly designed? I've got a P2V+ so I know how well they should fit.
Cheers

PS On closer inspection the wedge bit on the clamp appears to be too fat to fit in the slot on the camera base making it push away from the camera base by almost 1mm. I might try and sand the wedge on the clamp.

Mine does that too. I've tried to just ignore it, but it's taking a bit of a toll on my OCD. Let us know if you manage to fix it by sanding it

Nevermind I just fixed mine by pinching it slightly with a pair of pliers. I think it's possible to over-pinch it and make it too narrow, so if you're gonna do that I suggest using little pressure and try fitting it repeatedly until it's snug but not loose

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31