Testing the new firmware -- D-Log and D-Cinelike

Reaction score
I made three flights today using D-Cinelike and D-log to see how things have changed. Sadly, the winter weather in SLC with the inversions we get this time of year make for some nasty haze like conditions so visibility isn't that great. I also tested my battery heater and car charging system, but that's for another thread.

So, in summary I find that D-log appears to be more usable from an operational standpoint as it seems the histogram is more accurate and the FPV video feed appears easier to see as well -- I hope this isn't just due to today's lighting conditions, but given the comments others are making about it I suspect it has improved the usability from an operational standpoint. However, the video quality does not appear to me to be any better as I still see noticeable flickering and also banding in the sky. When using D-cinelike I do not see the banding as I do with D-log, but I'd need better and more consistent weather conditions to confirm this.

I am more convinced than ever that the flickering effect I see is made worse when the contrast is stretched. With D-log you have no choice but to stretch the contrast but past experience with D-cinelike indicated less stretching is needed than with D-log and as a consequence the flickering effect, though still present, is less noticeable. With today's lighting conditions I needed to use more contrast stretching with D-cinelike than I've needed in the past and that resulted in more noticeable flickering, but, again, I did not see the banding problem that I noted with D-log.

So, D-log may be easier to use and get an appropriate exposure with the new firmware, but the flickering and banding make it a no go for me still.

For completeness, my settings were: f/5, ISO100, SS between 1/640 and 1/1280 using full manual exposure control. All flights used H.265 and a custom setting of -1/0/-1.

Brian

I've posted a video detailing the banding issue I see with the new implementation of D-log. See here...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Brian

I've posted a video detailing the banding issue I see with the new implementation of D-log. See here...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Brian
Thanks for the info.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers