Tennessee Drone Regulations

Reaction score
I was thinking of taking my P3S with me to Dale Hollow Lake over the weekend. I looked and TN has some very vague drone law where it basically says any quadcopter video or images are illegal. I would love some thoughts on this since it is an awesome lake and I would love to get some good photos and video with it. If this law did get enacted, then how is anyone flying there as a hobby?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Comment on what? Without being able to read the actual regulation its all guesses.

The First Amendment places a pretty broad blanket over the right to film and take photos. It does not matter if its from a drone.

This is the legislation I found.

https://www.nacdl.org/uploadedFiles/files/news_and_the_champion/DDIC/Tennessee - HB 1952.pdf

This is from the website I found about the TN regs:

Tennessee Drone Registration - Drone Registration Application- Start Here

Just want to know. If it is a pain, I just won't take it.

The law seems to refer to harassment of hunters and fishermen. If you are not planning to harass sportsmen, I wouldn't be worried about enforcement. Has it actually been enacted?

Also that registration website is not an official government site. I wouldn't register through them. I don't know for sure but, they may be skimming data from naive people who land there and give them their personal information.

Your link doesn't say anything about it being illegal to shoot pictures or videos from a drone. It says it's illegal to take pictures or videos of people on private property which is questionable. That means I can't take a picture of my family in my own yard ( with or without a drone.) If I was near Dale Hollow, I'd make sure my drone was registered, I'd fly it safely, and I'd fly it all over Dale Hollow Lake. I wouldn't hover over anyone but other than that, have fun! I'm near Nashville, BTW.

Last edited:
Your link doesn't say anything about it being illegal to shoot pictures or videos from a drone. It says it's illegal to take pictures or videos of people on private property which is questionable. That means I can't take a picture of my family in my own yard ( with or without a drone.) If I was near Dale Hollow, I'd make sure my drone was registered, I'd fly it safely, and I'd fly it all over Dale Hollow Lake. I wouldn't hover over anyone but other than that, have fun! I'm near Nashville, BTW.

Thanks for that. I registered with FAA in December. I figured it might be a phishing site, especially when it said the exact same thing for every state around it (I am in Ohio). I saw a YouTube video pop up from 2 days ago too. I would definitely not be hovering over people I don't know or low. Hoping I can get some good ones of us skiing and tubing! Or checking out the lake, like you said.

I just got my phantom I live in Clarksville I was wondering if I am aloud to fly it at parks here or in Nashville not to sure on the rules thank you

I just got my phantom I live in Clarksville I was wondering if I am aloud to fly it at parks here or in Nashville not to sure on the rules thank you
Hey John, I live in Nashville and fly around quite frequently. If you are a hobbyist just make sure you follow your part 101 rules, if you are using your drone for commercial use please refer to part 107. Hope this helps!

-SoyFPV

Reactions: Nickster
The registration site is clearly a phishing site, as the URL begins with "wolverinemarketing". DON'T GO THERE. Yes, the FAA requires registration, but go to FAA.gov FIRST and register there. The senate bill does NOT mean it was ever enacted into law. I would absolutely take the drone and get your videos! National parks or state parks often have blanket bans, so watch out for those if they apply.

I was thinking of taking my P3S with me to Dale Hollow Lake over the weekend. I looked and TN has some very vague drone law where it basically says any quadcopter video or images are illegal. I would love some thoughts on this since it is an awesome lake and I would love to get some good photos and video with it. If this law did get enacted, then how is anyone flying there as a hobby?

What part of the Lake were you going to do your filming? Was it at Byrdstown or Celina or some other point in between? I had thought about doing the same this summer when I go to Tenn. I grew up about 5 or 6 miles from the Lake in a small community called Monroe. Here is a video I took a couple years back from the bridge at Byrdstown.

What part of the Lake were you going to do your filming? Was it at Byrdstown or Celina or some other point in between? I had thought about doing the same this summer when I go to Tenn. I grew up about 5 or 6 miles from the Lake in a small community called Monroe. Here is a video I took a couple years back from the bridge at Byrdstown.

Would that be Sunset Dock I see? Last year we were on the Kentucky side at the state park. This year, I think we are going to Sunset again. Not sure if we are going to do cabins or camping yet. I plan on asking the Corps and others at the dock as well.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Would that be Sunset Dock I see? Last year we were on the Kentucky side at the state park. This year, I think we are going to Sunset again. Not sure if we are going to do cabins or camping yet. I plan on asking the Corps and others at the dock as well.

That would be the Sunset Dock

That would be the Sunset Dock

JC, my mom's family and now my family have been going there since the 60s when it was still the little bait shack dock. So many memories and still my favorite spot on the lake. Love to ski, kneeboard, and tube around the little island and Eagle Creek. I am going to just check with the Corp, since they own the lake, and the dock to see what they have too this year. I just checked with the State Park before last year. I will post anything I find out. Let me know if you do also!

Nickster, I live in Nashville and have bee flying my p3s for about 6 months now with no worries. I'm registered and fly around in the bells bend area. I just follow the obvious rules and no one has bothered me. If anything they are fascinated with it. Wide open spaces to fly in near the Cumberland river

Nickster, I live in Nashville and have bee flying my p3s for about 6 months now with no worries. I'm registered and fly around in the bells bend area. I just follow the obvious rules and no one has bothered me. If anything they are fascinated with it. Wide open spaces to fly in near the Cumberland river

Thanks Phil!

JC, my mom's family and now my family have been going there since the 60s when it was still the little bait shack dock. So many memories and still my favorite spot on the lake. Love to ski, kneeboard, and tube around the little island and Eagle Creek. I am going to just check with the Corp, since they own the lake, and the dock to see what they have too this year. I just checked with the State Park before last year. I will post anything I find out. Let me know if you do also!

We use to go swimming as kids there at the old bridge, back in the late fifty's before Dad moved us to Cleveland. Do you remember the old road going into Brydstown how many curves were in it...Let me know how you make out with the corp.

Reactions: Pete43
We use to go swimming as kids there at the old bridge, back in the late fifty's before Dad moved us to Cleveland. Do you remember the old road going into Brydstown how many curves were in it...Let me know how you make out with the corp.

I totally remember the old bridge. My mom used to jump off of it. I was too chicken. I loved the metal deck bridge and the windy road from Byrdstown. The best was when our boat blew a header in the Merc outboard and my dad almost unbolted it to leave it in the bottom of the lake. :)

IMG_1485302673.810252.jpg

This was the sunset from Obey Rive Campground about 5 years ago sitting next to the fire. Good times.

Reactions: Phil56

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl