Talk me out of the Typhoon H

Help me understand the need to have GPS on device. How does it change anything?

One of the more practical advantages in my opinion is that it allows you to set the Home Point location to the RC instead of take-off location. So let's say you're hiking or whatever and using the aircraft to help you explore, the Home Point will always be you, not where you started.

Reactions: D'sAdvanced
One of the more practical advantages in my opinion is that it allows you to set the Home Point location to the RC instead of take-off location. So let's say you're hiking or whatever and using the aircraft to help you explore, the Home Point will always be you, not where you started.
I can't tell from your post, but just to make it clear for anyone else reading, resetting home to the current location of the controller doesn't continue to update after you reset.
If you keep moving you need to reset again.

I can't tell from your post, but just to make it clear for anyone else reading, resetting home to the current location of the controller doesn't continue to update after you reset.

Thank you for clarifying.

the tablet that I am using is the K1 it works great.

I can see no reason to avoid the Typhoon H. If I had to chose right now that's what I would buy.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thank you for clarifying that. It's actually a bit confusing because DJI refers to it as Dynamic Home Point when in actuality it is not. From what I have been researching, Dynamic Home Point is a feature in the previous versions of the aircraft in which it would auto update every 30 seconds or so. I assumed it was the same in the P4.

In any event, I'm going to pick up a Typhoon H once the Real Sense module becomes available. The P4 is an amazing aircraft however I have already had experiences where I believe the H would have performed better. I will likely keep both in the inventory and utilize then based on my mission needs. Again, thank you for the clarification. I could have ended up one very unhappy operator had I uncovered it while the bird was in the air.

Correction non-cellular iPads don't come with a GPS module.
Most wifi only Android tablets have GPS.

Having a GPS enabled tablet allows you to do two extra things:
1. Follow-me
2. Reset homepoint to the current location of the controller.

So it's not a big deal and has little impact for most flyers most of the time.
Really? My ipad mini 2 worked fine on the follow me and it's not celluar. I have to test the home point but I'm almost sure I didn't have a problem. I usually don't take off unless the home point is set. I'm going to double check that. But I know for sure the follow me worked fine with no celluar.

Really? My ipad mini 2 worked fine on the follow me and it's not celluar. I have to test the home point but I'm almost sure I didn't have a problem. I usually don't take off unless the home point is set. I'm going to double check that. But I know for sure the follow me worked fine with no celluar.

Maybe you were using Active Track?

This is why I asked for a clarification. Follow Me works as does Home Point. It appears only if you move around from home point, while in flight, the iPad does not update the home point, something I've never had the need to do until now. As Meta mentioned, GPS accessibility has little imact

If you have a wifi only iPad, it does not have a GPS in the tablet.
Your Phantom has a GPS unit and that is what it uses for flying and recording it's home point before takeoff.

If you have a tablet with GPS, you can also do follow-me flying and you can reset your homepoint to the current location of the controller (used if you are moving like flying from a car)

Ta Ta
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
H

With that being said though, watching the forum over the 3 weeks I'm seeing guys bring up a lot of connection issues failures and loss, so maybe Lightbridge isn't as Heaven sent as it would seem to be.l
Just a casual observation, I'm not taking offense or defending DJI, but ... your methods are far from scientific.

As I hope you hopefully already know, the weight of few vocal complainers on a forum can sound pretty loud compared to the silence of all those happy campers.

Also, you will ALWAYS find a handful of people with issues around firmware update time, both people who have issues with the firmware, plus people who have issues that the firmware is not responsible for, but they blame it anyway. Or they just blame DJI. Or blame anything other than pilot error.

Of course, there are bona fide DJI bugs. But in general, if you were to step back and take the long view over what is not only the more capable, but also the more reliable communication platform, it would be lightbridge over wifi hands down.

Eh?

Phantom 3P has been proven and updated with Firmware so most of any issues have been resolved already,can't speak for the P4 but the P3P is such a great machine and lightbridge is amazing. I've had over 30 flights with not 1 issue and at 3Km I still had a perfect picture and bars didn't move , I could have gone out so much further but that was plenty for me. RTH was always bang on, the discount now for either the P3P or Advance is mind boggling and totally worth it. If you really need avoidance sensors then I would go P4. Yuneec looks amazing but I've had issues with wifi drones, not saying there will be issues with the H but 3DR SOLO I had major range issues. I wouldn't switch to TH but if I had extra cash I would get one as I want a hex along with my quad

Whatever problems some users are having, it's not a reflection on Lightbridge technology.
People have been flying their P3s out up to 7 and even 10 kilometres ever since the P3 was released.
I've never pushed that far but mine is very reliable, going out 3.5 km whenever I choose and it would probably go much further.
It has the range and sharp video to shoot action at great distances.
I shot this yesterday at a range of 2.8 kilometres (and almost no altitude) - something you just can't do with wifi.
DJI_0443a-X2.jpg
AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME! I HAVE BOOKMARKED YOUR PAGE.

Finance minister approved purchase of a drone. I've been on the fence about P4, Autel X-star premium and the Typhoon H.

I like the TH has an integrated screen in the controller. Less dependency on app updates or outdated iOS devices forcing an upgrade.

I haven't seen a range test done on TH, but I've seen many on P3s.

Autel offers better buildmanship and removable gimbal.

The P3/P4 look like they are easier to transport than the TH.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've been keeping an eye on the H...in fact I nearly went out to pick one up yesterday as they were in stock briefly near here. But I'm waiting for someone to show that the camera isn't a significant step down from the phantoms'. Most of the H videos out early are significantly underexposed, show limited dynamic range (sky blown out, blacks crushed, same image) and show a significantly wider FOV, with the associated distortion that causes (stretched corners...they've done a decent job avoid barrel distortion, but you just don't get over 100° without some tradeoffs).

I'm actually hoping these problems are defeat-able by taking manual control of the camera, and I might actually spring for one....but I'm a bit disappointed with what I've seen so far.

I have been building my own multirotors for a few years now, mainly because I fly a lot over water and want them to be waterproof and floating. I have had 4 flyaways, all recovered. One was with my waterproof Dex which did land in the river. it was recovered intact with no damage. I have had props come off, motors or ESC's fail and the bird was badly damaged or destroyed. Reliability is a big deal to me.
The one feature of the H which is most interesting to me is the ability to survive the loss or one rotor.
I have not seen the inside of the H yet. I hope they have not built the ESC's and receiver and such into the main board. That makes a very expensive repair if one fails.
I don't know yet if I will purchase one. I will certainly wait until they have been in the hands of the users for a while, but I am definitely interested. I do hope someone is able to hack the battery so that regular lipos can be used.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic