Talk me out of A dual battery mod

Reaction score
First of all let me say that I really don’t need it. I have a 1st gen P4 and lately have been getting the itch to tinker with it. Whether or not I would actually run dual external batteries is up in the air but I thought running the leads out the back of the cover would be a fun project.

Your adding way to much weight.....it would be very VERY VERY hard on the motors too "TRY" and Lift and fly the extra weight !.....Not a very good idea...Maybe some one else can add some more.....Plus the more "weight" the harder they HIT ! and instead of small drone pieces after a hard crash...its itty bitty small drone pieces you have to pick up with a magnifying glass !

If that was a Good idea....many many would already been doing it...including "ME" !

Last edited:
Reactions: DroneTurismo
Quite a few videos out of this being done. Gen 1 P4s no good for batt mods?

Chopstix Fly what you got with "one Battery" airborne and be happy It's be the best idea....No body else wanted to warn you !

First of all let me say that I really don’t need it. I have a 1st gen P4 and lately have been getting the itch to tinker with it. Whether or not I would actually run dual external batteries is up in the air but I thought running the leads out the back of the cover would be a fun project.

I would think about the goal of such a mod. How much real world extra flight time will you get? What will you do with those extra few minutes that can't be done with just landing and popping a in a new battery? How much additional stress will this cause to the frame and motors for this few minutes.

Personally I think the only reason for thos mod is long range beyond visual line of sight runs, which are against the law without a waiver.

I wouldn't do it. I would find it worse than pointless, I would consider it dangerous to the AC and the people and property underneath that AC.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Fair enough gents. Like I said, I just felt like tinkering with it. You have talked me out of it.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Fair enough gents. Like I said, I just felt like tinkering with it. You have talked me out of it.

I have felt the same.

I do a good bit of fishing.... Well I did before Red tide wiped out the fish. I would love to mod out a p3 for dropping a line someday. ;)

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
Chopstix: You ~could~ add another battery in parallel to the first one, however, it will literally only gain you like 3-5 minutes of extra flight time, because of the extra weight the 2nd battery (and bracket) would add. Same reason they had to have a giant Saturn V rocket to get three astronauts and the lunar lander / command module (which were small, compared to the Saturn IV) to the moon. You end up building a giant frame to carry fuel, which adds weight, along with the extra fuel. Eventually, you will not gain anything. DJI has done a pretty good job balancing the battery life with the weight of the drone. As others have said, if you want to fly longer, just buy more batteries and swap out as needed.

Great Post Jimlips well said and i agree with you and the rest 100%.

Aaaaauuuf!

Again... the usual repeated speech with the blinders and now naming the Saturn V, that is completely out of the argument, having no relation at all.

Ok that with additional batteries you can "only" get few more minutes of flight and the motors have to run faster and the drone's maneuverability is partially compromised, etc. etc. ...but say the ultra repeated obviousness (and nonsense) "if you want fly longer, BUY more batteries", cannot be read or hear again!
Someone here cannot realize there are not only those going for simple flights around his garden, or around other locations, not far away from the take-off point, and just for fun, obviously those recommending to buy more batteries belong to this type of simpleton, short-sighted "pilots".

When there is the need to fly several km (or miles) away to reach the target (to be photographed or for other tasks), when you must also ascend a lot in altitude, every single minute added to the flight can make the difference between being able to do the mission and not being able to do it.
Also this should be obvious!

Now please someone doesn't write me flights far away and at high altitudes are illegal and we have to fly at sight, because it would aggravate the tall tale of the many batteries to fly longer.

Said that, just to get new friends...
...I do not say with Phantom 4/4 Pro, the addition of 1 or 2 external batteries is always advisable, but if you replace the DJI props with others having a little more pitch (9.5x6) and you can fly, not too fast, for 3...5 minutes more, well this can be the right way to go when you need to fly longer.
Differently, with Phantom 3 Pro this adding is always advisable and beneficial, as well as a tuning made by many, including me.

Aaaaauuuf!

Again... the usual repeated speech with the blinders and now naming the Saturn V, that is completely out of the argument, having no relation at all.

Ok that with additional batteries you can "only" get few more minutes of flight and the motors have to run faster and the drone's maneuverability is partially compromised, etc. etc. ...but say the ultra repeated obviousness (and nonsense) "if you want fly longer, BUY more batteries", cannot be read or hear again!
Someone here cannot realize there are not only those going for simple flights around his garden, or around other locations, not far away from the take-off point, and just for fun, obviously those recommending to buy more batteries belong to this type of simpleton, short-sighted "pilots".

When there is the need to fly several km (or miles) away to reach the target (to be photographed or for other tasks), when you must also ascend a lot in altitude, every single minute added to the flight can make the difference between being able to do the mission and not being able to do it.
Also this should be obvious!

Now please someone doesn't write me flights far away and at high altitudes are illegal and we have to fly at sight, because it would aggravate the tall tale of the many batteries to fly longer.

Said that, just to get new friends...
...I do not say with Phantom 4/4 Pro, the addition of 1 or 2 external batteries is always advisable, but if you replace the DJI props with others having a little more pitch (9.5x6) and you can fly, not too fast, for 3...5 minutes more, well this can be the right way to go when you need to fly longer.
Differently, with Phantom 3 Pro this adding is always advisable and beneficial, as well as a tuning made by many, including me.

Flying beyond viaual line of sight isn't about batteries it is about the law. You obviously feel comfortable breaking the law and hurting all of us in the process.

"beyond viaual line" hurt the language and you, first.
About what law are you speaking, in what country, in what location and under what conditions and permissions?
I fly always around high wild mountains where there are no nonsense laws and where the airplains when they pass, are kilometers above my drones, saying bye bye...
Do not say silly things, mate.

Flying beyond visual line of sight isn't about batteries it is about the law. You obviously feel comfortable breaking the law and hurting all of us in the process.
Keep in mind that all of our forum members don't live in the US, and have different laws.

It's entirely possible that the country he's flying in has no laws governing what he is/wants to do.

It would be great if the forum mod's could "suggest" new members fill in their location when filling out their "new member" setup.

Just say'n....

Reactions: Ridowh

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj