Taking still images with GoPro?

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, and maybe in the wrong forum, but here it is: is there any simple solution to triggering a GoPro to snap a high resolution picture while flying? I haven't seen any way to trigger it other than using the WiFi remote, but then that interferes with the Phantom-controller signal, correct?

naturenerd said:
Probably a stupid question, and maybe in the wrong forum, but here it is: is there any simple solution to triggering a GoPro to snap a high resolution picture while flying? I haven't seen any way to trigger it other than using the WiFi remote, but then that interferes with the Phantom-controller signal, correct?

Yes, using WiFi will mess signals up for your aircraft! Don't do it!!
take your photos in flight by using your GoPro's Timelapse features....here is a decent video on how to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtB8OXoZhIM

About as close as you can get, assuming you are using a Hero3 or Hero3+ is to use the simultaneous video/photo mode and set it to a small interval (I think 5 sec might be the shortest interval if I recall correctly). Using this mode however takes a snapshot of a video frame and not a real still (so the resolution will be lower- that of the video resolution, but will match the aspect ratio of the video I think). Using this dual shoot mode also removes the ability to shoot at 60FPS, if you are recording at that frame rate. So, it's basically a choice of what you are looking for.

If you don't need video, you can just use the timelapse feature of the GoPro and set it to 0.5 seconds and get a ton of still shots of your flight (and at a good resolution!).

And, of course, definitely do not use the WiFi on the camera itself ;)

Thanks to both of you for the suggestion. It's better than nothing, and with live view I should be able to capture what I want.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl