Taking Phantom on airplane

Last week, I traveled with mine in a TradeCraft case to Corpus Christi. No problems at all. The TSA screener looked at the xray view of it for a few extra seconds, but did not comment and passed it through (with my three batteries). As a carry-on, my case fit in the overhead of an Airbus and an S-80, but it was snug.

If you are checking your case as baggage, I'd suggest getting TSA approved locks, so they can open it without damaging your case.

Also if you have a pressure fitting or vent for air travel, make sure it is open - especially if your case is "air tight".

Safe travels...

Thank you very much.

Looks like that case is cheaper than the one I have and has wheels. Wish I had known about it before I got mine.

I do plan to take it with me as carry on and have 5 batteries.

Also VERY curious what the customs people in Costa Rica would say. Would be unfortunate to say the least to get down there and for them to confiscate it or say I can't bring it into the country.

Anyone with experience taking their Phantoms out of the country please chime in. Thanks!

if you take batteries you will have to carry it on. they will not let you check batteries. i took mine to Indy and it fit in the overhead no problem. i have the same case

Well to update the thread in case others are wondering, trip went fine. On the way out from NY they opened the box, checked it with some sort of a tool, didn't ask any questions, took 30 seconds. In Costa Rica, the lady looking in the screen gave me a thumbs up when she saw what was in the box, wasn't asked to open it.

On the way back no questions or requests to open the box at all either in CR or NY.

I've carried my in the cabin on two trips, first in the cardboard case it came in and then in the Tradecraft case. The TC case is a tight fit in an S80, for sure. It always gets TSA attention and usually a wipedown for the explosives detector. Only snag with customs, entering the Turks and Caicos Islands, was that the agent asked if it was new. I say it was since I had only had it a week and not flown it much. She said I should have declared it even if I expected it to be exempted. It's obviously not new now and don't expect problems next time.

I use the GoProfessional case and have taken it on four trips. As was said, it fits an S-80 aircraft overhead fairly well (better than many carry on bags).

I flew in a small commuter on the last trip and it would not fit the overhead. Managed to wedge it under the seat (exit row aisle seat worked).

TSA checked it in my home town as I was leaving. Opened it up and swabbed it. Got a look at the x-ray. Don't blame them. It looks pretty wild. No other checks after that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl