Taking a P2 smart battery apart...

Reaction score
has anybody managed to dis assemble a P2 smart battery without destroying it?

If so can they comment on how easy or otherwise it would be to replace the lipo cells with a new 3S 5200Mah lipo pack?

Taken plenty of them apart for R&D purposes. It is bank of 3s2P cells - ie 2600ma 3.7V lipos are doubled upto make 5200ma and three of them make 11.1V. You need to find the exact size as there is no give in the plastic cage. The firmware on the board of the battery can be very fussy if it decided that the pack is 'exhausted' ie number of discharge cycles etc.

I crashed my Phantom and the battery popped out. It won't turn on any more.
I thought it might be something simple so I took it apart. I got the cap off and the cage off, looking at the batteries and the card. Nothing obvious is jumping out at me. Does anyone repair these or is it a throw away now?
Thanks.

Due to the importance of the battery in keeping my craft in the air... I don't take chances with the battery. I take more care of them than the rest due to that being the complete power source.... I always remember " what goes up must come down.. somewhere. If the battery get puffy, I replace it, if it strangely drops from 65% power to 8% I replace it. If I crash and the battery pops out and is damaged , yep I replace it. It's better to muster up a hundred bucks than $1200.

yeah I get it.
It kills me to throw away a hundred bucks but it would kill me more to throw away 1200
Any use for these Lipo's? If I'm not going to fix it or get it fixed I guess I'll cannibalize it to see what I can find.
I wonder if I get rid of the card and just hook the battery leads up to the charger will it charge?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31