Taking a drone on aeroplanes

Reaction score
I would love to take my drone on holiday to Malta and was wondering what the rules are for taking them on an aircraft. Preferably as hand luggage as not comfortable with it going in the hold.

I would love to take my drone on holiday to Malta and was wondering what the rules are for taking them on an aircraft. Preferably as hand luggage as not comfortable with it going in the hold.
Check with the airline that you are travelling with and check out their policy for Lipo batteries. You will have to bring them onboard in any case as checked in luggage, and I always carried the backpack onboard as it fitted nicely in the overhead compartments. I would be more concerned about any drone restrictions in Malta as some countries are essentially making it that difficult to fly, it's easier to leave the drone at home.

No-one will even care at the airport because they see drones every day on the X-ray scanners.
Go to your airline's website and search for batteries.
They all have similar policies like these from British Airways: Banned and restricted items | Baggage essentials | British Airways
Lithium ion/metal batteries of up to 100Wh
(e.g. in mobile phones, laptops, digital cameras, etc.)

In hand baggage
  • Kept in the device
  • Max. 4 spares per person (incl. Power Banks) kept in original packaging or insulated/protected from contact with metal
  • Lithium metal batteries must not exceed 2g lithium content and lithium ion batteries must not exceed 100Wh
In checked baggage
  • Kept in the device
  • No spares

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT