Take off and land in water

Reaction score
When flying over water I'll slap these on just to be safe especially after my pro went down in the lake

1d09e6733897744fb56a1e5b70ce714e.jpg

Just remember that if that AC lands on the water tilted in any form - the TOP-HEAVY weight will take over and she'll hang upside down in the water ...

As a 'boater' ... Shipping guy ... there's no ballast there to counter the top weight. The floats are not wide enough outside of the area of the AC ... so any upset or chop ... in my view would be extremely unstable.

Now if you took CF rods and extended out horizontally as an X and then fitted what look like Pool Foam pieces well outside the area of the AC ... then you would have better chance of it actually surviving a water landing.

Sorry to appear negative - but would not want you to suffer a mishap...

Nigel

Just remember that if that AC lands on the water tilted in any form - the TOP-HEAVY weight will take over and she'll hang upside down in the water ...

As a 'boater' ... Shipping guy ... there's no ballast there to counter the top weight. The floats are not wide enough outside of the area of the AC ... so any upset or chop ... in my view would be extremely unstable.

Now if you took CF rods and extended out horizontally as an X and then fitted what look like Pool Foam pieces well outside the area of the AC ... then you would have better chance of it actually surviving a water landing.

Sorry to appear negative - but would not want you to suffer a mishap...

Nigel
Good point. My thought is I would sill do all I can to keep it from tipping but if it does tip it will HOPEFULLY float even if it is upside down, atleast you can go out in a boat and get it and it won't be down bottom.

Good point. My thought is I would sill do all I can to keep it from tipping but if it does tip it will HOPEFULLY float even if it is upside down, atleast you can go out in a boat and get it and it won't be down bottom.

I've seen videos of people doing this. Check on Youtube, I think that's where I saw it.

Have you looked at the Waterstrider by Dronecraft?

Fine ... but my P3S went half under in FRESH WATER and the damage to her is beyond economic repair ... the battery puffed and because it was still 'live' - cooked the mainboard of the P3S ...

In fact I wish it had sunk out of sight ... it's depressing having it sit there now.

Nigel

Reactions: mitcvand and len750
I wish I would have put those on my quad when it went into the river, it may not have survived, but at least it might have stayed afloat. It is at the bottom now with no chance of recovery.

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
When flying over water I'll slap these on just to be safe especially after my pro went down in the lake
People come up with things like this all the time and they are all a waste of time.
Ironically, they are more likely to cause problems than prevent them.
They are going to eat your flight time, slow your Phantom's speed and ability to deal with wind.
And if you ever have a fall-from-the-sky situation, your Phantom is going to end up under the floats while you are looking for a boat to go out and find the wreck.
Unless you really need to land or take off from water, don't bother with something like this.

People come up with things like this all the time and they are all a waste of time.
Ironically, they are more likely to cause problems than prevent them.
They are going to eat your flight time, slow your Phantom's speed and ability to deal with wind.
And if you ever have a fall-from-the-sky situation, your Phantom is going to end up under the floats while you are looking for a boat to go out and find the wreck.
Unless you really need to land or take off from water, don't bother with something like this.

Meta is right, it will make your flight unstable. I will not bother with it and enjoy the phantom 3 as it is.

@solentlife,
I had followed your crash-n-burn crash and splash. ;)
Is swamp water still fresh water?
Anyways, I was wondering if your sure you did proper drying sequence and time period?

I do realize powered up circuits under water sounds to be fatal and you would think it would always be, but I sure have seen some posts that seem to have turned out better.

The thought of fresh water versus swamp type water, the minerals that conduct electricity. First example that comes to mind, an RV holding tank full of clean water can show empty.

My wife's cell phone was left in her pants pocket powered on, she had stripped down through everything in the washer to avoid poison oak. The washer had completed the cycle the phone and the battery survived, 10 days in rice used it for at least 18 months. Then gave it to a friend that wanted to keep using the same model. :eek:

Back to the thread,
The OP same as me I think would like a chance to retrieve it. There is only one thing in my life that I was happy to loose. :D
I see these posts on flotation ideas, I think about some kind of air chambers that actually be molded with in the shell, etc of the Phantom.

Air is pretty lite object, it just need a container. :rolleyes::)

Rod

I fly various float planes of that same river and only had one or two items fail after immersion. I also have RC boats ....

All have had their 'submarine' moments ..... dry out and they fly again. LiPo's - all survived.

But my P3S didn't ....... nor did the battery. I have the intelligent board and case still - thinking I could ressurect by installing own cells .... board is useless, same as the P3S mainboard.

Its not swamp water .... this is a fresh water river that runs down to the Baltic .... the water is literally that clean - many houses actually pump the water to domestic supply.

True distilled / de-ionised water dies not conduct - but yes - any minerals or dissolved salts create conductivity ....

Maybe there had been a high level of land run-off ... who knows.

Nigel

Fine ... but my P3S went half under in FRESH WATER and the damage to her is beyond economic repair ... the battery puffed and because it was still 'live' - cooked the mainboard of the P3S ...

In fact I wish it had sunk out of sight ... it's depressing having it sit there now.

Nigel

I have three camera-carrying drones. Initially, I was paranoid about flying over water. One day my wife saw a video where I was flying above a canal. She commented "...you're getting braver, aren't you?" I told her that wasn't my Phantom!

Much more of my flying lately *has* been over water. It's a lake, but there are lots of places where it looks like acres of pond scum, so I'm still somewhat paranoid. Crashed an R/C plane out there once and the water pretty much destroyed everything that ended up below the waterline.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

I fly various float planes of that same river and only had one or two items fail after immersion. I also have RC boats ....

All have had their 'submarine' moments ..... dry out and they fly again. LiPo's - all survived.

But my P3S didn't ....... nor did the battery. I have the intelligent board and case still - thinking I could ressurect by installing own cells .... board is useless, same as the P3S mainboard.

Its not swamp water .... this is a fresh water river that runs down to the Baltic .... the water is literally that clean - many houses actually pump the water to domestic supply.

True distilled / de-ionised water dies not conduct - but yes - any minerals or dissolved salts create conductivity ....

Maybe there had been a high level of land run-off ... who knows.

Nigel

What type of connectors were you using on the LiPo that survived immersion in water? I can't remember the exact type I use - the ones that seem to come "standard" with Horizon Hobby products. It never dawned on me that I could use a type that might be water resistant. I just wanted connectors that are tight enough not to come loose during flight. (Referring, of course, to LiPo "brick" type batteries.)

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl