Tablet: Nvidia Shield or Nexus 7 (2013)

Reaction score
What Android tablet would you recommend for the DJI app: I have narrowed it down to either Nvidia Shield or Nexus 7 (2013), as the reports seem to be unanimously good. HTC and Samsung, even new ones, seem to have lots of problems. I want to use it mainly for the Phantom 3 app, but also for some apps - I never play games. I am amazed that such an old tablet as the Nexus 7 (2013) doesn't have any problems, lag or heating, from what I read!

I use the shield tablet myself and I love it no problems. The screen could be a little brighter but that's it

As for the nexus 7 I cannot say

I read that battery life of the Shield is really bad. True?

Bad battery on shield. I don't have a problem with that if you have the tablet on with max performance on mine runs out in a few hours or 3 in game stream. But if you have it on optermised mode you can go at it all day.

The shield tablet can use alot of power under the hood and if you use all of it performance continuously it will drain power. But for 95%of the time you don't need all of it.

that is the catch theas days. If you want max performance you have to sacrifice battery life and vice versa.

I use the shield, no problems. Do note that if you use a heavy case with it the TX clamp will barely be able to support the weight. If I tilt mine enough it falls off

Last edited:
Anyone with the Nexus 7 (2013) who can report?

Shield here with no problems too.

Battery Life is excellent! No problems what so ever with my Nvidia Shield. Has never crashed out. Has memory card slot, has HDMI out, can record flight, seems to be the tablet of choice for the Inspire boys.
What more could a kid want.

Screen record feature on Shield is super!

Shield here too, dedicated for FPV screen only. First thing I did was uninstall everything not P3 related.

Reactions: Boxcar
Nexus 7 2nd gen runs really good. Nice high resolution. Screen brightness is pretty good to. Only downside is no SD card slot.Battery life is good.

Ive been looking at the Nexus 7 2013 model, as this is only going to be used for the FPV and I really dont want to spend out for the iPad air or mini :(

For those interested, I will be installing this on it, seems like this is a very good alternative to the installed OS and I have used something similar on an old Galaxy S5 phone called CynogenMod

http://slimroms.net/index.php/supported-devices

I've been using Nexus 7 (but 2012 sorry), and bought Shield for P3. These belong to perfectly different generations. Shield has 192 GPU core, and result of benchmark is x100 times faster than N7 (BTW N7 2012 & 2013 differs only x1.2-1.4 times). That's in the world of benchmark test, and in real life, weight, battery life, size, display brightness, etc. maybe more important than calculation speed... At least, Pilot app utilize its monster speed only for drawing video (FPV, maps), but I have no stress, even when full recording of screen play. Also Shield still freezes video (caused by wireless communication) and abortion of app (problem of software) sometimes occur. :)

Shield is awesome and playback is silky smooth. Ive been getting an error with the app since the update but I sold the nexus after seeing it with the shield.

Screen record feature on Shield is super!

Can someone explain to me how to get the screen record feature on the shield?

I've been googling/youtubing without any success. Tried a few apps, but they mostly sucked. 5 minute max length, or lag, or bad resolution, etc.

I bought a Nexus 7 (2013) for the sole purpose of using it with my P3A - it works great and I think is a perfect size to use on the controller. I have no experience with the Shield so can't compare. Battery life seems good on the Nexus but as its only used for my P3A, I don't know how it fairs as an everyday tablet. My decision to buy this was based on best value at lowest cost.
(I am running Android 5.1.1 on the Nexus, Pilot app 1.2.0 and firmware 1.2.8)

Reactions: Pepperami
Can someone explain to me how to get the screen record feature on the shield?

I've been googling/youtubing without any success. Tried a few apps, but they mostly sucked. 5 minute max length, or lag, or bad resolution, etc.
Its one of the nvidia hub icons when it comes up it will have twitch and a few other options should be one of the grouped nvidia or shield groups by default on the main screen of the shield. When I get back Ill tell you for sure. You should find it by my shotty instructions so far.

I want a shield but im going to wait a month for the 2nd version to release - Adam

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers