Tablet Mount Mod - questions

Reaction score
For those of you have done the tablet mod to your P3S ( inspire 1, part #45, Phantom 3 or 4 tablet mount, did you screw straight into the hole or did you use the 3/8" Threaded Nut Insert? How did your mod turn out with either option?

I have done the mod twice. Each time I screwed into the plastic hole, and then tightened the provided screw that now goes to the lanyard threaded hole.

I was looking at ways of mounting mine without drilling. Yes, just that one rear screw seemed enough to hold it pretty solid. But being OCD, it just kept niggling away at me.

So I drilled the hole. Straight into the plastic. No threaded insert. Solid as a rock. I have an ipad mini 4 in a Otter Box case. Weighs a ton. But it won't budge.

I didn't want to drill my RC (still under warranty), so I removed the thumb screw from the mount as others did, but I added some 3M VHB double-sided tape where the mount runs parallel to the RC, to help with side-to-side movements. As there is quite a gap between the mount and the RC, I sandwiched a small piece of lexan (plexiglass) between two pieces of tape. Works very well, it's very sturdy, although - must be said - I only have a small 7" tablet.

I didn't want to drill my RC (still under warranty), so I removed the thumb screw from the mount as others did, but I added some 3M VHB double-sided tape where the mount runs parallel to the RC, to help with side-to-side movements. As there is quite a gap between the mount and the RC, I sandwiched a small piece of lexan (plexiglass) between two pieces of tape. Works very well, it's very sturdy, although - must be said - I only have a small 7" tablet.
Anyway you could post a pic?

There you go...

DSC_7143.JPG

Last edited:
I did the mod by drilling a hole in the tx and let the mount tap the hole. I am using a s-tab4 with a sun shield and it works perfectly fine. there are vid's on you-tube for doing the mod.
Larry

Looks good! Very clean. Thanks for posting. Do you think it would hold an iPad Air 2? ( little bigger than your tablet).

All I can tell you is that my tablet with case is 328g, and it does not move at all. Moreover, I use a lanyard, which is attached to the mount itself: this means the lanyard is effectively carrying the weight of the tablet, with the mount holding the RC,"suspended" below. Anyways. best thing to do is to try: if it wobbles or flexes too much, then drill the hole.
On the subject: I've seen videos of people drilling the RC and removing a plastic reinforcement "rib" that runs inside the RC, exactly where the hole needs to be. If you end up drilling the RC, do NOT remove that rib! Use it to your advantage: cut it just enough that the metal pin of the mount can go through, then and hot-glue the pin in place. That's exactly why the pin sticks out much more than the thread... on the original Inspire RC: to provide side-to-side (tilt) support to the mount.

I saw someone do something similar, but used velcro instead of the tape. Seemed to work very well.
Do you know the name of the bracket you used?

I know what you're talking about, but quite frankly I think my method is much cleaner, and makes for a sturdier mount. As for the bracket, that's the original Inspire 1 tablet mount, from DJI ($30).

Last edited:
All I can tell you is that my tablet with case is 328g, and it does not move at all. Moreover, I use a lanyard, which is attached to the mount itself: this means the lanyard is effectively carrying the weight of the tablet, with the mount holding the RC,"suspended" below. Anyways. best thing to do is to try: if it wobbles or flexes too much, then drill the hole.
On the subject: I've seen videos of people drilling the RC and removing a plastic reinforcement "rib" that runs inside the RC, exactly where the hole needs to be. If you end up drilling the RC, do NOT remove that rib! Use it to your advantage: cut it just enough that the metal pin of the mount can go through, then and hot-glue the pin in place. That's exactly why the pin sticks out much more than the thread... on the original Inspire RC: to provide side-to-side (tilt) support to the mount.

Thank you, just awaiting delivery of the mount now.

I've got the same set up coming with an iPad mini4 64gb cellular . Can not wait . Went to Best Buy to compare the iPad Air 2 vs the mini 4. Decided since I will eventually get a mavic the mini will fit nicely in that controller .

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic