Switching to F-Mode

Reaction score
I have become comfortable enough at flying in P-GPS mode that I have tried to start flying in the other modes, just to try them out. What I have noticed is that when I switch to F-mode on the remote, the Pilot app still reports being in P-* mode, although it does turn on course lock. Am I truly in F-Mode? I have "Multiple Flight Modes" and "IOC" both selected in settings. Am I missing something?

I'm only speculating as I haven't tried that mode. But all it should do is give the controls IOC functionality. You would still have GPS controlling it. But you'd think the display would should that you aren't in P-GPS though.

I have become comfortable enough at flying in P-GPS mode that I have tried to start flying in the other modes, just to try them out. What I have noticed is that when I switch to F-mode on the remote, the Pilot app still reports being in P-* mode, although it does turn on course lock. Am I truly in F-Mode? I have "Multiple Flight Modes" and "IOC" both selected in settings. Am I missing something?
you must enable that function other wise it won't let you fly at other mode

Right. Multi-flight and IOC are both enabled in my case.
So multi-flight is enabled? I had a similar issue whereby I would enable IOC but the soft switch would just revert - I hadn't enabled multi-flight.

Then I did that, with the RC on and once I moved the physical switch the soft-switch 'IOC' setting followed suit. Weird. Try playing around with it once you are in the menu with the RC and possibly the Phantom powered on.

The app will definitely let you know once you've changed modes during flight. It has a pop-up when you go in to Atti and another for the IOC settings. Bear in mind that only course lock is implemented at this stage, Home-lock is supposedly coming in a future release.

Atti flying takes some getting used to :)

Reactions: snowghost
Enable multi-flight and then flick the physical switch to F mode, this will engage course lock. I use this to shoot football games. GPS Nav is still active, it's just the P3 heading is locked in one direction, regardless of yaw. It's a fantastic option and one you should explore more. I use it often.

Just to clarify - IOC in the app needs to be enabled. Then the physical F must be selected for Course lock to work. Please go to an open field and practice what course locking does. Essentially, course locking allows the phantom to move irrelevant to the direction the nose is pointing.

Just to clarify - IOC in the app needs to be enabled. Then the physical F must be selected for Course lock to work. Please go to an open field and practice what course locking does. Essentially, course locking allows the phantom to move irrelevant to the direction the nose is pointing.

Based on its facing at launch.

So will GPS still work in ioc mode?

Yes, forward will just move it forward away from the RC, backwards will move back towards you (and left and right), regardless of the direction of the nose of the aircraft. Think of this as the closest thing we have to 3DR Solo's cable option. It still utilizes GPS, ie if wind blows it 5 meters off course, the GPS will still bring it back to its proper heading. Return to home will (should) still work, etc. It's merely the orientation that you are locking so you have better freedom to take interesting shots, while moving along a fixed orientation based on where the phantom is in relation to the remote, not which way it (and the camera) is facing. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: snerd
Could be a good fail safe if you lose GPS at great distance along with orientation.

Weird you have to lose GPS to switch to ioc. Their should have had p-f-atti IMO. Atti being the non safe third option

Based on its facing at launch.

No, based on where it is pointing when you engage Course Lock. You are describing the functionality of Home Lock.

No, based on where it is pointing when you engage Course Lock. You are describing the functionality of Home Lock.

Home Lock pulls the bird back to home with the right stick at 6 o'clock no matter what direction it is from Home and facing. CL uses the orientation it took off with.

Home Lock pulls the bird back to home with the right stick at 6 o'clock no matter what direction it is from Home and facing. CL uses the orientation it took off with.

Wrong, if CL worked as you stated, you would have to land and turn off the bird if you wanted to change course. RTFM, you don't know what you are saying.

From the Fine Manual: Perhaps you should read it.

The nose direction, at the time that CL is set, will remain the forward direction
regardless of how the orientation and position of the aircraft changes. This will
remain fixed until you reset it or exit CL mode.

Home Lock will pull the bird back using GPS.

Edit: I will admit I've only used CL on the P2 which sets at take off. If you're saying that when you engage CL in the air that sets the orientation--show me where the manual says that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic