Supposedly quiet blades ain't. Don't buy 'em

First of all, you have to make sure you put them on correctly.

Secondly, the props isn't the only thing that reduces noise, although they do play a part, it's the new upgrade motors and ESC's in the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 also helps to reduces the noise level. Putting the low noise propellers on any other Phantom 4 besides the Pro V2.0, will not make a whole lot of difference unless you test it with a decibel meter.

Secondly, the props isn't the only thing that reduces noise, although they do play a part, it's the new upgrade motors and ESC's in the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 also helps to reduces the noise level. Putting the low noise propellers on any other Phantom 4 besides the Pro V2.0, will not make a whole lot of difference unless you test it with a decibel meter.
ESC tuning and motor selection may achieve higher efficiency with the new props however any contribution to increased/reduced noise will be negligible. The props will run at the same RPM regardless of what motors/ESC are emoloyed providing there is no significant change in the AC weight.

If I have to test it with a decibel meter, what's the point???

I have the V2 and if they come out with something that will give me 4 more db of quiet, I will buy it. Then 4 more, and 4 more after that.

Drones are in their infancy. We will look back in 10 years and wonder how we ever got by with todays technology.

I have the V2 and if they come out with something that will give me 4 more db of quiet, I will buy it. Then 4 more, and 4 more after that.

Drones are in their infancy. We will look back in 10 years and wonder how we ever got by with todays technology.
4db hardly . they may state that but real world not. I think the stock props are quieter and definitely perform better .

4db hardly . they may state that but real world not. I think the stock props are quieter and definitely perform better .
Stock props are quieter than new props. That is the first time I have heard that claim. The engineers will be disappointed to hear that.

Stock props are quieter than new props. That is the first time I have heard that claim. The engineers will be disappointed to hear that.
There have been so many claims about these new props you don't know what to believe . i do know the claims of more flight time are BS and noise wise i find the stock props better . this is by ear

Reactions: John1960
I have the new props on both the mavic and P4. I think they are just fine and will continue to use them. They do just what they are intended to do.

If you consider then that the ESC electronics make no noise and that the motors are mechanically the same where might any significant difference in SPL originate from for a given thrust level (same rotational speed on P4P or other variant)?

The idea for the ESC change is not new. Its exactly the same as electric bike hub motors, instead of using square wave to drive the windings you use a gradually changing sine wave. This reduces the buzz to almost zero. To say the ESC makes no noise is missing the point. When you drive the motor with a square wave signal from the ESC, the windings make the buzzing noise.
The fact the motors are mechanically the same does not prevent you from driving them with a more sophisticated and also more efficient waveform.

I believe the "quiet" rotors simply change the frequency of the sound to be a bit more bassy.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWH and UkBusa
The idea for the ESC change is not new. Its exactly the same as electric bike hub motors, instead of using square wave to drive the windings you use a gradually changing sine wave. This reduces the buzz to almost zero. To say the ESC makes no noise is missing the point. When you drive the motor with a square wave signal from the ESC, the windings make the buzzing noise.
The fact the motors are mechanically the same does not prevent you from driving them with a more sophisticated and also more efficient waveform.

I believe the "quiet" rotors simply change the frequency of the sound to be a bit more bassy.
What point did I miss? DJI has been using sine wave drive for the propulsion system since the Phantom 3- that was the basis for my suggesting the ESC would not be providing a contribution of any significance to the overall SPL with the new props. If by "more bassy" you mean lower frequency sound than yes that must absolutely be the case if the props are running a a slower RPM.

I've been using the new low-noise propellers for over a month. They are a little quieter but mostly it is a lower frequency sound. Not a big difference, but it sounds and looks cooler with the twisted propeller ends. Also, only buy DJI props. The knock-offs are usually poor quality and not worth the risk of losing a P4P for a few dollars less in price.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I've been using the new low-noise propellers for over a month. They are a little quieter but mostly it is a lower frequency sound. Not a big difference, but it sounds and looks cooler with the twisted propeller ends. Also, only buy DJI props. The knock-offs are usually poor quality and not worth the risk of losing a P4P for a few dollars less in price.
they may be of a slightly lower frequency but not enough to really call these low noise . also the loss of flight time to me isn't worth it . if the performance was better and it extended battery time then they would have a good prop . but since flight time /battery time is reduced and flight characteristic is not improved they become a $20 pile of plastic

Reactions: John1960
The lower tone is the most noticeable benefit for me.

I saw about 5-6 dB drop in my tests.
2018-06-23_22-10-20txt.jpg

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
they may be of a slightly lower frequency but not enough to really call these low noise . also the loss of flight time to me isn't worth it . if the performance was better and it extended battery time then they would have a good prop . but since flight time /battery time is reduced and flight characteristic is not improved they become a $20 pile of plastic
All the guys talk about reducing or gaining flight time .when was the last time anybody flew there bird to an exact amount of time, every time they fly to be able to make that determination as to whether the batteries last longer or don't last longer and under what conditions 5 mile an hour wind 10 mile an hour wind 20 mile-an-hour wind.
Have you ever flown in a 20 mile-an-hour wind and end up with only a flight time of 20 minutes? G what's up with that must be faulty batteries or something.
Like I said how many guys go out and fly to an exact amount of time and shut off the batteries exactly that time every time they fly?
I think it's even silly to discuss what can make the flight time shorter or longer .way way too many variables.
Exact science Testing is not real world operation.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl