Suggestions for video editing

Reaction score
Hi there

I am an an novice at video but am starting to get my arms around editing. I have used the free GoPro and 30 day trial of Final Cut.

100% Mac household. My current laptop is a MacBook Air. About 2 years old.

It is painful to edit video on so time for an upgrade.

Looking for suggestions hardware wise. Assuming I stay Mac, would a MBP cut it or will I end a desktop?

Not doing anything high end. Just creating clips, transitions, and adding music.

Thank you.

John

ps - hate that I have to barrow a laptop to run the Naz assistant. Any case to be made to get a PC laptop for editing? I cringe but open to it if it makes sense.

New Macbook Pros were just released so that's a pretty nice option for you.

I think iMovie has some basic stabilization built into it. I seem to remember that from a keynote a few years back. If you want to "go big or go home," there's always Final Cut Pro X for $299 in the App store. My recommendation would be to try your free option first. If you're not happy, then go spend the bucks for FCPX or After Effects/Premiere.

a 2yr old MacBook air should be capable of editing basic video.
Are you transcoding the footage in gopro cineform prior to editing? that could help.

iMovie is ok for basic editing, but FPCX is much more robust.
only other option is to look into Adobe Premiere/After Effects, but that can be costly

I edit video all the time on a Mac Air that's a year old with zero issues. It is loaded spec wise, but it would still do it with half the RAM I've got.
There are a bunch of software that will function perfectly well on both MAC and PC as base platforms that aren't near the memory/processor hogs they were a few years ago. The first thing I'd suggest is determining what you'll be doing with the video, end use. There is no point in spending hundreds of dollars on software capable of editing a Hollywood masterpiece, when it's only for your own Youtube channel and is going to be compressed nine ways from Sunday anyway.
iMove is a perfectly acceptable entry level program that will do 75% of what most folks use and editing program for.

I'm using Adobe Premiere & AfterEffects... The CreativeCloud has a good price and you get all the Adobe products with a low monthly price.

http://www.creativecloud.com

In other hand, if your looking for a video editing / post software that has a solid price, without monthly fees... I would go for HitFilm...

http://www.hitfilm.com

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20