Stupid phillips screws stripped

Reaction score
I finally decided I wanted to take my shell off, and long story short, all but about 1 or 2 screws are not stripped.

This is the most frustrating thing I have dealt with. Why would they not make those screws hex just like ALL the others?

1 screw is out so far. These are obviously the wrong precision screwdrivers, but it's pretty much too late anyway.

I'm about to attempt a glue method to try to get them out. I've put the hex screws back in, as I read taking those at first was basically a mistake.

If the glue fails, I'll be going at it with a dremel because i'm totally over this. I've spent at least 3 hours on this now, reading and trying to get these horrid things out.

Can anyone link me to a proper set of replacement screws? I was looking at tons on ebay and amazon, but I couldn't tell if those sets had the proper 4 screws, because they had many different phantom screws .

Better yet, has anyone went to local hardware stores and found the same screws but maybe better quality?

Lastly, when I get it all put back together, will it even be safe to fly without those joke phillips screws before I get my replacement screws?

Thanks,

Never been so mad at DJI

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Phillips head screws require the correct size to work properly. Anyway you could dremel a slot in it and use a flat head screw driver to remove?

Well, they were so badly stripped that only a drill bit took care of it. I drilled off the heads and shell popped off. I can now access the screws with needle nose pliers to get them off.

Now i'll need replacements. Does anyone know what the exact replacements would be called on ebay?

Or is there a better screw I could get that's the same size as well as hex?

Salvage what you can so you can compare to replacements. You profile doesn't list a location, or even a country so I will assume you are in the US. Jump on your unicycle and pedal down to your local Service Star, True Value or big box store and pick up some extras. You could get "socket screws" as a replacement.
I also found a site in the New Zealand that sells sets but it would be faster to decipher the sizes shown on that site & get your own. http://www.rcnz.com/Shop/Service/Detail/Product/9032 I can easily see the MS (machine screws) are M2 & M3.

@Unicyclejunkie - Here's a handy chart...
screwtypes.jpg

Last edited:
I suppose I'll take the 1 screw I salvaged to home depot and see if there's something I can do.

Better news....I got the pitch control working on my gimbal! It was so much easier than I thought. Now to mess with the naza settings a bit...

Ahh, I see i've been wrongly calling all the other screws hex screws now. I see the difference...

Thanks for that chart.

Last edited:
Next time I would try the rubber band trick or putting a dab of super glue on the screw and basically gluing your screwdriver to the screw and unscrewing it that way. Worth a shot before breaking out the drill

I tried both methods but the screws were too far gone. I've since got 10 replacement screws and I probably won't even need to take it apart ever again.

I screwed the new screws in with a flathead.

I might as well mention that I also stripped the bracket on the walkera gimbal. Both screws just now turn freely and I can't even use the bracket to mount the gopro anymore, I use rubber bands. I like the walkera gimbal, but the way they made it to mount the gopro to it is horrible.

And I couldn't just flip the gopro upside down so I could plug in the usb without taking it out because my gopro is a POS that crashes every single use and I have to remove the battery from it and put it back in.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl