Stress cracks

Reaction score
What’s the best thing I can do I’ve got one on each side of the rear of my bird what should I do

Stick a picture up so you can get some advise

IMG_2728.jpg
IMG_2727.jpg
IMG_2729.jpg

I’ve done a little super glue on it in the hope it stops it and I’m going to stop flying it like a jet fighter plane
Oh and I’ve tightened all the screws up too not sure what else I can do [emoji120]

I’ve done a little super glue on it in the hope it stops it and I’m going to stop flying it like a jet fighter plane
Oh and I’ve tightened all the screws up too not sure what else I can do [emoji120]

Update it’s like the plastic has become brittle you can hear it crack

OK, 1531048887012-2053969662.jpgas you can see its a bit common,this p34k with not many flights,as post #3 mention you could get some base plates or make some,I will one day,they are cheap and should help hold things together,some cracks can have a small hole drilled at the end so the crack can't travel further,sticker over hole fixs that,unsure on what a good glue is but super glue hold for little while,mayby someone can advise some glue or resin,another thing these screws not like being to tight or will cause a fracture,if you do make some base plates have a look at a picture of some to help get right or you have screw trouble,you choice again you could order a shell for emergency back up,hard to predict fractures,as my picture show some crack and some years old no crack,luck of the draw on the polymer plastic we are given I rekon
15310491109022118525117.jpg

OK, View attachment 100979as you can see its a bit common,this p34k with not many flights,as post #3 mention you could get some base plates or make some,I will one day,they are cheap and should help hold things together,some cracks can have a small hole drilled at the end so the crack can't travel further,sticker over hole fixs that,unsure on what a good glue is but super glue hold for little while,mayby someone can advise some glue or resin,another thing these screws not like being to tight or will cause a fracture,if you do make some base plates have a look at a picture of some to help get right or you have screw trouble,you choice again you could order a shell for emergency back up,hard to predict fractures,as my picture show some crack and some years old no crack,luck of the draw on the polymer plastic we are given I rekonView attachment 100980

Thanx for the reply it’s going be a new shell because I ain’t putting things to chance knowing my luck I will have a law suit on my hands

They sale on EBay a metal motor mounts for make it more strong and prevent more cracks or you can try snap on propeller guards that fit on the motors mounts and cover it
I like the idea of the metal motor mounts [ just had to have shell replaced & I don't want it to happen again!] How easy are these to fit? I'm a bit scared of taking the motor screws out to replace them with the longer screws that come with the plates because obviously the motors will be loose during the process. Any tips / warnings / reassurance?

I like the idea of the metal motor mounts [ just had to have shell replaced & I don't want it to happen again!] How easy are these to fit? I'm a bit scared of taking the motor screws out to replace them with the longer screws that come with the plates because obviously the motors will be loose during the process. Any tips / warnings / reassurance?
The motor can be easily restrained by a finger- even if it dangles the wires are extensions of the motor windings, you won’t damage a connection anywhere.

The motor can be easily restrained by a finger- even if it dangles the wires are extensions of the motor windings, you won’t damage a connection anywhere.
Thanks. That's reassuring. My worry is that I will have trouble aligning the motor to refit the longer screws provided with the reinforcing plates

Thanx for the reply it’s going be a new shell because I ain’t putting things to chance knowing my luck I will have a law suit on my hands
Good move- new shell gives great peice of mind. First time allow 2-3 hours, second time you will go in under an hour. Be careful if the compass PCB and watch out you don’t break the connector for the compass when you rip the lid off. You don’t need to disconnect the antenna leads from the OFDM board (the antennas fit through the top of the skids and the shell.

Thanks. That's reassuring. My worry is that I will have trouble aligning the motor to refit the longer screws provided with the reinforcing plates
You won’t, the motor mount bosses have little tabs between them that align the motor base perfectly, you can’t get it wrong.

Reactions: stu2b2
Be careful not to over tighten the motor screws. I’ve seen other posts where it’s been suspected that over tightening may have caused the cracking. Certainly the metal supports or prop guard mounts help reinforce that area.

Reactions: stu2b2

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20