Stock P2V 2.7 KM (8,850') Long Range Test

Jeez, I only popped in here for a look but judging by the comments that are flying around I think I will
go back to the NON-vision threads .... :lol:

Re: Lost my P2V

PVFlyer said:
My friend flew his P2V the same path as I did and lost my P2V several weeks ago. When he initiated RTH 500M away at 100M altitude, and his P2V was flying back all the way until 200M away from the home-point (almost the same spot as I lost my P2V), his P2V started auto-landing right into the pond. Why the hell P2V was auto-landing 200M away from home-point? When he was aware the aircraft was landing, he regained the control immediately at 50M altitude and flew back manually. When he flew back home-point (the real one), the Vision app indicating 200M from the home (fake) position.

I know switching S2 (left switch) multiple times can reset the home-point during P2V in the air. I suspect some sort of RF interference switching S2 at such spot 200M away. Thus P2V believed it's back home, then executed auto-landing.

This is likely a design bug (or feature) of the NAZA flight controller. I strongly urge DJI put a better safeguard of reset home-point in the air.

If it resets the home point, you get the rapid green light flash. Tricky to see at 200m + in daylight, but you could put a strobe on the green led I guess. Makes a case for having a spotter with binocs when flying long range!

Re: Lost my P2V

I probably figured out why my P2V went down, as my friend experienced the exact same scary case today.

My friend flew his P2V the same path as I did and lost my P2V several weeks ago. When he initiated RTH 500M away at 100M altitude, and his P2V was flying back all the way until 200M away from the home-point (almost the same spot as I lost my P2V), his P2V started auto-landing right into the pond. Why the hell P2V was auto-landing 200M away from home-point? When he was aware the aircraft was landing, he regained the control immediately at 50M altitude and flew back manually. When he flew back home-point (the real one), the Vision app indicating 200M from the home (fake) position.

I know switching S2 (left switch) multiple times can reset the home-point during P2V in the air. I suspect some sort of RF interference switching S2 at such spot 200M away. Thus P2V believed it's back home, then executed auto-landing.

This is likely a design bug (or feature) of the NAZA flight controller. I strongly urge DJI put a better safeguard of reset home-point in the air.[/quote]

A question, during the return to home how much battery was left? I ask because I'm curious if the Phantom cancels the return to home and initiates the landing sequence, if it senses the battery is below a certain point.

FPVLR said:
Dear Themosttoys,
the only person that comes out as arrogant is yourself. You insist in writing that I am not smart (yet I have 155 I.Q.), that I am ignorant, yet I speak 3 lanquages fluently , Italian, English, Spanish + some French and have studied classics and ancient languages like Latin and Greek. I play 3 instruments, saxophone, guitar and piano, etc etc. But still, in your eyes, I am an ignorant, and you do not haesitate writing it on here.

Why are you so judgmental about people you do not know, have not met, and of whom you know nothing? I started tinkering with amplifiers since I am a tinkerer in nature, I always open things up to see how they work. The first thing I though was, "hell this would be so simple to integrate into a battery powered amplified antenna", but it was purely theoretical.

After I have seen how long it takes to remove the board, and put a faraday cage around it, and of course install a suitable heat-sink. I am totally uninterested. I can build 3 antennas in the time it takes me to mess with the booster. It makes no sense for someone with no time on his hands like myself.

I am a very practical person, and always find the shortest way between point A and point B, and integrating a booster into an antenna, though nice as it might sound, makes no commercial sense to me.

On a side note, if I were to sell sunhans boosters alone, the law in the US allows it, all I have to write is a disclaimer just like l-com does. The disclaimer saying how it's not intended for general US sales, but for OEM use, for HAMs and for export.
Also I can add a recommandation on the product page, "Use of this product maybe illegal in your country. Please make sure you are familiar with your local/federal regulations".

All I have to do is show that I do not suggest or encourage people to use it unlawfully.

That pretty much covers my butt for any misuse of it on the US soil, yet allows me to sell to peope who are not in the US, who are still my biggest market.

Please tell me if I am wrong.

Dude, don't let the douches get to you. I believe your correct. I went out and got my HAM license. passed the test last night. I want to push the FPV envelope. Its up to me to do it legally. There are certain things I can and cannot do, certain frequencies I can use, certain power outputs I can use. I can buy anything I want from a multitude of suppliers. When "I" employ them I have to do the analysis to make sure I'm doing it within FCC rules and Regulations. Thanks for the good products and innovation. I have not bought anything from you yet. But I will in the future when I'm done with the "analysis" part.

Boost Wifi FPV Range by SOFTWARE

With help of a friend, we managed to BOOST the Wifi range by SOFTWARE. P2V can get longer FPV range without changing any hardware, such as adding/replacing antenna, repeater, amplifier, etc. However, if I modded the antenna on the aircraft or repeater for instance, I will get even longer range in conjunctions with both hardware and software mods.

We hacked into both Vision camera and repeater, and change certain Wifi configurations. I have been waiting for my P2V+ arrival for various testing. Keep my fingers crossed :D

FPV col said:
iDrone said:
FPV col said:
Yes that's definitely a few "if's" :) but well explaind thanks.. Just for the record I'm using the same output side you quoted and can get good range with my patch mod..
Well I just found out my imported test pigtail was the culprit. I replaced it with a higher quality cable and the results are much better & consistent.

Test conditions: Fully charged Vision & Extender batteries tested off the top 10-minutes, ImmersionRC w/30dBi attenuator in Peak mode, direct connection via RP-SMA heavy gauge pigtail to Extender, Vision / Extender / Controller / iPad mini all linked.

Results: "i" terminal*: 112.20mw peak, 107.98 nominal / "D" terminal*: 184.78 peak, 177.83 nominal

Interesting thing about the "D" terminal is that it drops to 158.49mw when playing back videoclips over the iPad mini. The "i" terminal doesn't budge when doing the same thing.

Sorry about the earlier numbers, still be interesting to see what other P2V'ers extenders are putting out.

iDrone

* {"i" terminal is closest to the silk screened letter "i" in DJI, and "D" terminal is closest to the letter "D" to avoid left-right ambiguity}

Interesting results.. Thanks iDrone for this testing ;)

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

FPV col said:
iDrone said:
FPV col said:
Yes that's definitely a few "if's" :) but well explaind thanks.. Just for the record I'm using the same output side you quoted and can get good range with my patch mod..
Well I just found out my imported test pigtail was the culprit. I replaced it with a higher quality cable and the results are much better & consistent.

Test conditions: Fully charged Vision & Extender batteries tested off the top 10-minutes, ImmersionRC w/30dBi attenuator in Peak mode, direct connection via RP-SMA heavy gauge pigtail to Extender, Vision / Extender / Controller / iPad mini all linked.

Results: "i" terminal*: 112.20mw peak, 107.98 nominal / "D" terminal*: 184.78 peak, 177.83 nominal

Interesting thing about the "D" terminal is that it drops to 158.49mw when playing back videoclips over the iPad mini. The "i" terminal doesn't budge when doing the same thing.

Sorry about the earlier numbers, still be interesting to see what other P2V'ers extenders are putting out.

iDrone
T
* {"i" terminal is closest to the silk screened letter "i" in DJI, and "D" terminal is closest to the letter "D" to avoid left-right ambiguity}

Interesting results.. Thanks iDrone for this testing ;)

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

Re: Boost Wifi FPV Range by SOFTWARE

PVFlyer said:
With help of a friend, we managed to BOOST the Wifi range by SOFTWARE. P2V can get longer FPV range without changing any hardware, such as adding/replacing antenna, repeater, amplifier, etc. However, if I modded the antenna on the aircraft or repeater for instance, I will get even longer range in conjunctions with both hardware and software mods.

We hacked into both Vision camera and repeater, and change certain Wifi configurations. I have been waiting for my P2V+ arrival for various testing. Keep my fingers crossed :D

This is some break through, can you share how it's done ? I'm very insterested.

FPVLR said:
WeaponsHot said:
Dude, don't let the douches get to you. I believe your correct. I went out and got my HAM license. passed the test last night. I want to push the FPV envelope. Its up to me to do it legally. There are certain things I can and cannot do, certain frequencies I can use, certain power outputs I can use. I can buy anything I want from a multitude of suppliers. When "I" employ them I have to do the analysis to make sure I'm doing it within FCC rules and Regulations. Thanks for the good products and innovation. I have not bought anything from you yet. But I will in the future when I'm done with the "analysis" part.

Thanks for you words of encouragement and congrats for getting your Ham license!
:cool:

Congrats as well. Now you can enjoy the freedom to modify away!! Which has been my only point. I love that this stuff is available, and I admire people who develop the devices and those who push the envelope. But do it within the structure of the applicable laws in your country.

FPVLR said:
WeaponsHot said:

Thanks for you words of encouragement and congrats for getting your Ham license!

Your welcome Brother!

SilentAV8R said:
FPVLR said:
WeaponsHot said:

Congrats as well. Now you can enjoy the freedom to modify away!! Which has been my only point. I love that this stuff is available, and I admire people who develop the devices and those who push the envelope. But do it within the structure of the applicable laws in your country.

Thanks.

PVFlyer said:

Very cool, please give us a breakdown when you get a chance, if you care to share. If the iPhone can be repeatably hacked so can't this drone.

WeaponsHot said:
PVFlyer said:

Very cool, please give us a breakdown when you get a chance, if you care to share. If the iPhone can be repeatably hacked so can't this drone.

I have been encouraging my friend to put all the coding to an Android and/or iOS app. Otherwise, it's extremely easy to break such $500 Vision camera or Vision+ Wifi module by a single typo or firmware upgrade.

A simple example is that he changed Vision camera Wifi to channel-13 on firmware 1.1.8, and everything was working flawlessly. Once he upgraded to 1.1.9, then he could not even connect the Wifi likely due to DJI changed the Wifi driver that no longer support channel-13.

As I got my Vision+ recently with firmware 1.2.5g, I found the new Vision+ Wifi module and firmware is very different than Vision. The tricks used to work on Vision may not work on Vision+. I just managed to change my Vision+ to CH-11.

Attachments

• P2V+ CH-11.png
    P2V+ CH-11.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 772

PVFlyer said:
WeaponsHot said:
PVFlyer said:

I have been encouraging my friend to put all the coding to an Android and/or iOS app. Otherwise, it's extremely easy to break such $500 Vision camera or Vision+ Wifi module by a single typo or firmware upgrade.

A simple example is that he changed Vision camera Wifi to channel-13 on firmware 1.1.8, and everything was working flawlessly. Once he upgraded to 1.1.9, then he could not even connect the Wifi likely due to DJI changed the Wifi driver that no longer support channel-13.

As I got my Vision+ recently with firmware 1.2.5g, I found the new Vision+ Wifi module and firmware is very different than Vision. The tricks used to work on Vision may not work on Vision+. I just managed to change my Vision+ to CH-11.
So what's the benefit of changing the channel? Anti-interference?
And how did you boost the signal by that software?

I would like to know how the wifi cam and repeater choose which channel to use. Is it a certain channel by default? Does it change channels in order to find a channel that has the least interference? or is the channel fixed unless you hack into it?

Sorry for your loss. I hope you're enjoying your new p2v+. Btw someone else holds the record now for furthest distance on stock p2v nose in or out at just over 2.8km. It's someone who's followed my various upgrade videos and showed screen shot. They did this using a pair of high gain helical antennas and 2watt Sunhans amp on the range extender.

My YouTube channel is Ben7seven7 and his comment with pics is on my Sunhans amp upgrade video

Imhenry said:

I always fly with other P2V, V+ & AR.Drone friends in the same field, and we all are using 2.4G Wifi. Changing Wifi channel could lower interference between others.

P2V and V+ are using Atheros Wifi chipset AR934x with at least 500mW TX power. DJI limits the TX power (by software) of Vision camera to 125mW and Vision+ to only 10-20mW (I estimated). If we can unlock such limit, then it's easy to get longer FPV range without adding/replacing antenna, repeater & amplifier.

helixaviator said:
I would like to know how the wifi cam and repeater choose which channel to use. Is it a certain channel by default? Does it change channels in order to find a channel that has the least interference? or is the channel fixed unless you hack into it?

It's depending on the camera firmware. Per the latest firmware 1.1.9 for P2V and 1.2.5g for Vision+, they both are set and fixed CH-1 as default. If there are more than 1 pilots flying P2V or V+ nearby, they are all still on CH-1 without hopping to other channels. You can imagine Wifi interference is inevitable.

PVFlyer said:
Imhenry said:

I always fly with other P2V, V+ & AR.Drone friends in the same field, and we all are using 2.4G Wifi. Changing Wifi channel could lower interference between others.

P2V and V+ are using Atheros Wifi chipset AR934x with at least 500mW TX power. DJI limits the TX power (by software) of Vision camera to 125mW and Vision+ to only 10-20mW (I estimated). If we can unlock such limit, then it's easy to get longer FPV range without adding/replacing antenna, repeater & amplifier.

That would be awesome if more power and channel hopping abilities could be unlocked via software. And maybe the settings tweaked to deduce blackouts requiring reset oh the phantom to return the fpv feed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart