Stock P2V 2.7 KM (8,850') Long Range Test

By just putting an antenna on the repeater I'm getting well over 3000 ft
Haven't done anything else
Good luck

WIth an omni and a directional on the repeater, and powering it, I am getting 3000-4000' easily and have flown to over 6000'. Also altitude of over 4000' with full wifi and control. At 6000' it was dicey and I pushed it more and lost both wifi and control. I let it fly itself almost all the way back - smooth as silk @ 16mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvTIeJO2qeE - at just after the 4 minute mark it loses it @ 6142' and starts the return home.

I am very happy with this performance for normal flying and don't need more, but am thinking about doing the Horizon Antenna kit anyway. Just because.

Wow. Those are some great results effectively just by improving the antennas on the ground side. Perhaps DJI are missing a trick?

Anyway I've done the tx mod and the extender mod now and all went well. Not able to flight test yet but I went to the bottom of my garden and from 130ft away passing through a shed and through a conservatory I had a control signal and perfect preview via WiFi so it looks good that I haven't fried anything!

Thanks for your help and hopefully this should improve performance. I've left the aircraft end of things for another day but will tackle that tricky receiver mod at a later stage.

I did a quick first impressions video this morning of the Horizon FPV gear before I fit it and it's very nicely made and very light. I'm not bothered by aesthetics so I didn't go for the all-white to match the tx! ;)

Pull_Up said:
Hello long-range gurus. I bow to your superior knowledge and excellent homebrew achievements!

Now I've buttered you up I would like to ask an opinion of you.

I'm not after extreme range from my Vision, but I would just like to stabilize control and wifi (at the moment I tend to get a max of 1000ft for both, but it's variable sometimes drops out whilst I'm still visual with the aircraft which is what I'd like to improve).

So I have got one of these kits: http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... -full-kit/ which has matched antennas for ground and airside for max performance that are all LHCP. Now until my soldering skills are up to scratch, and until my gimbal arrives and I know about antenna placement, I'm wondering if I will see any benefit (or at least not see any downside) if I just fit the helicals on the ground side only for now? I notice that a lot of the mods in this thread are keeping the aircraft almost stock but I notice most effort is going into the wifi side as you all seem to have much better 5.8 performance than I do.

The big issue for me going forward with installing this full kit is going to be the receiver side as although the kit comes with pigtails, the stock antennas appear to be hot-glued or similar to the receiver board. So I either need a hint on how to take one off safely or I need to learn/find someone to do some fiddly splicing and soldering for me!

All information/hard knowledge/guesses/assumptions/speculations gratefully received. ;)

DJI claims 2.4G Wifi FPV with 300m range and 5.8G control (FCC mode) with 500m range. I tested my stock P2V and repeater/transmitter with 300-400m FPV range and 800-1000m control link in open field.

If you tend to get 1000ft (304m), the stock setup should be good enough to meet your requirements marginally "in open field". I suspect you are flying in urban area with a lot of 2.4G interference. I have a few questions for diagnosing the issues.

1. Did you test your stock P2V in open field with fully charged repeater & new batteries for transmitter?

2. If yes, what's the range of 2.4G FPV and 5.8G control link? I bet the 2.4G Wifi link dropped out first if you have proper antennas orientation, so you probably don't know the 5.8G control link range. I believe you know how to position both antennas properly. This test is to eliminate RF hardware issue.

3. Is there a lot or strong 2.4G Wifi along your flight path? You may use Wifi Analyzer (free Android app) to check your Vision camera & repeater Wifi channel (such as Channel 1 in my case as shown below). Then walk along your flight path together with Wifi Analyzer and see how many Wifi AP with the same channel as your Vision, and how strong they are. This test is to identify how much Wifi interference in your flight path. If all your neighborhood using high power repeater (like the common 1500mW ARGtek in this forum), I'm sure your range is way lower than in open field. Obviously, other 2.4G may also generate interference. We live our life at 2.4GHz. Your router, your cordless phone, your Bluetooth earpiece, your baby monitor, your garage opener and your kitchen all on this radio frequency.

I suggest to identify where are the issues first, and then address them with the most effective way/mod. Your 1000ft target should be easy to achieve without modding your P2V aircraft.

I can’t agree more of a FPV guru saying “Some hobbies you can buy your way to success. FPV is not this way. Don’t try it. Understanding is what makes success, not money.”

Attachments

• SSID.png
    SSID.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,052
Hi, thanks for this.

Antenna orientation, battery condition - yep all good.

I fly in open countryside mainly, but with plenty of trees, hedges, grass and small hills.

WiFi I get about 1000ft which is on the money, although it starts to get a little flaky then and I might need to change orientation a bit to keep contact at that range.

5.8 I lose at 1000, sometimes 800 ft in the same sort of terrain in FCC mode. I suspect the natural clutter (wet trees!) isn't doing me any favours, hence looking to improve antennas. As I said I'm not looking to go extreme, just firm up both signals so I can operate at the edge of visual range for filming purposes.

I will report back when I've tested the tx antenna out and let you know.

Sorry!
In fact Arg-1210 & 1211 all are fake!

I post Taiwan trademark owner statement and use original word in Chinese.

ARGTEK商標屬於陞峰科技股份有限公司
陞峰公司於101年5月23日人去樓空,(公司員工有到新北市政府申訴)
資料我可以給你但是這是屬於個資法問題所以已經馬賽克處裡您可上網幫我證明(申訴不成立因為資方找不到人出席)

1.ARGTEK及GM5商標因陞峰公司惡性倒閉債權人日盛銀行及其他債權人有去法院控告
目前都是"禁止處分"(公司有債務問題禁止商標轉讓到其他公司)請參考以下網址連接
http://tmsearch.tipo.gov.tw/RAVS/wfm201 ... =098033149

http://tmsearch.tipo.gov.tw/RAVS/wfm201 ... =099056801

附件內有掃描圖片
1.圖片ARGTEK陞峰科技於101年7月請他人到經濟部申請停業(停業時間101年12月24~102年12月23)
2.文件ARGTEK陞峰科技繼續停業(停業時間102年12月24~103年12月23)

穿牆王是屬與我公司的產品愛仕馬特國際有限公司(負責人王水松)
我司經營穿牆王品牌於99年10月到現在(因為穿牆王我公司銷售很好已賣出數萬台,網路紛紛出現不同商品也標示穿牆王無奈只好註冊來保全本公司權益)
99年當時有無名小站的"穿牆王科技"還有露天及奇摩通路
http://tmwpsearch.tipo.gov.tw:8080/Sear ... 2101629163

穿牆王1~6代都是我公司網路銷售名稱並非ARGTEK公司所有他只是我公司穿牆王4代之前的代工廠(4代ARGTEK包裝有出"穿牆王"字樣本來還要告他因還在配合中所以尚未作動作)

公司停業中人去樓空怎還會有新產品???
我司穿牆王5S型號IST-3310目前已送NCC BSMI預計3月底完成認證(我們真正穿牆王5S的包裝與大陸山寨不同..可幫我們上傳網站)
(因為網路不實謠言太多所以今年4月會改藍色機板與NCC同步完成)
至於ARG-1211並非穿牆王也不可能送NCC BSMI認證 目前市面上的ARG-1211確定都是大陸山寨貨

穿牆王5S與穿牆王5最長有效距離是相同,但是5S的韌體實測是最穩定 效能最佳
5S改三天線(2T3R)目的是是內樓上樓下訊號覆蓋可以更好讓死角消失(中間垂直天線2邊30度或者水平)
透天厝測試過效果非常好(當然本公司還在開發更好的商品中)

(最重要)
日前網路上奇摩拍賣 露天拍賣 PCHOME商店街 奇摩購物中心...MOMO購 露天拍賣 PCHOME商店街 奇摩購物中心...MOMO購物網
出現許多仿冒我們穿牆王商標商品(包含騰達tenda 傻多 ARG-1210 ARG-1211)
經我們第一次警告已陸續下架處理 下星期我們將發存證信函..可上網奇摩及露天搜尋就可知道我所言屬實

標榜ARG-1211確定是大陸山寨貨品(陞峰2年前已倒閉..何來..可參考附件3)

不好意思因寫的較多所以時間較久 請您幫我們澄清..
有任何問題都可隨時來電..

Best Regards
愛仕馬特 穿牆王無線網路科技. 聯絡人: celine fu 傅子芸
工程師: biff wang 王水松
234 新北市中和區中正路169號10樓之11
Mobil phone:傅小姐 0916-077026
Mobil phone:王先生 0958-499012
E-mail: [email protected]

穿牆王系列(愛仕馬特國際有限公司)
穿牆王1代RTL8196B晶片2M Flash 16M記憶體(因晶片改板只銷售三個月)
穿牆王2代RTL8196C晶片2M Flash 16M記憶體
穿牆王3代RTL8196C晶片2M Flash 32M記憶體(增強記憶體增高多人連線及速度)
穿牆王4代RTL8196C晶片4M Flash 32M記憶體(因代工廠倒閉更換生產工廠)
穿牆王5代RTL8196C晶片4M Flash 32M記憶體(硬體小修改電源線路穩定度加強)
穿牆王5S代RTL8196C晶片4M Flash 32M記憶體(改變三天線增強消除死角並且透天厝穿透更優)
穿牆王6代RTL8198晶片4M Flash 64M記憶體(連線數高達30000並且Gigabit網路無線實測可以傳輸到130Mbps左右可以上中華電信120M強調速度)
目前公司規劃商品系列這是我公司系列代號產生(至於產品說明上方應該很詳細)
當然新產品也陸續進行中
至於商標仿冒商標的問題我司也有在進行,網路上我們都會給一次機會如有累犯當然直接報警處理

我們之前檢舉他人侵害我商標的問與答
上面都有日期可證明是我在前幾天第一次警告函(我們應給對方機會)
對方也都陸續下架移除中(包含各大平台賣家)
因為太多所以我只先列幾個..問與答都有日期都證明

ARG-1210仿冒(對方標題及圖片以修改.實可證明ARG仿冒我們穿牆王):
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/qa?21308206961750#detail

ARG-1211仿冒(對方標題及圖片以修改.實可證明ARG仿冒我們穿牆王):
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/qa?21401216691373#qna

W309R侵權:(以下架)
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/qa?21305078519988#detail
http://tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/show/qa ... 203638&tp=

傻多:(以修改)
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/qa?21303219255182#detail
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/qa?21303088630598#detail

還有非常多平台..應該最少有上百個目前看到都已修改中
有任何問題都歡迎與我連繫討論^^
[email protected]

Pull_Up said:
Hi, thanks for this.

Antenna orientation, battery condition - yep all good.

I fly in open countryside mainly, but with plenty of trees, hedges, grass and small hills.

WiFi I get about 1000ft which is on the money, although it starts to get a little flaky then and I might need to change orientation a bit to keep contact at that range.

5.8 I lose at 1000, sometimes 800 ft in the same sort of terrain in FCC mode. I suspect the natural clutter (wet trees!) isn't doing me any favours, hence looking to improve antennas. As I said I'm not looking to go extreme, just firm up both signals so I can operate at the edge of visual range for filming purposes.

I will report back when I've tested the tx antenna out and let you know.

Do you have 1000ft LoS (Line-of-Sight) or 1000ft behind trees/small hills?

for an eXtender best to get a Linksys E3000. Stock output is close to 996mW and you can sNatch them up for $40 bucks. Add your own antennas.

I would not gamble on the knockoffs!
These flying saucer looking routers are ugly but powerful and easy to mod fro great performance.
antennas.jpg

nhoover said:
WIth an omni and a directional on the repeater, and powering it, I am getting 3000-4000' easily and have flown to over 6000'. Also altitude of over 4000' with full wifi and control. At 6000' it was dicey and I pushed it more and lost both wifi and control. I let it fly itself almost all the way back - smooth as silk @ 16mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvTIeJO2qeE - at just after the 4 minute mark it loses it @ 6142' and starts the return home.

I am very happy with this performance for normal flying and don't need more, but am thinking about doing the Horizon Antenna kit anyway. Just because.

What is that app you are using?

Pull_Up said:
PVFlyer said:
Do you have 1000ft LoS (Line-of-Sight) or 1000ft behind trees/small hills?

LoS, but operating close to trees. Never completely behind, but might go over whilst maintaining los.

If you are operating close to tree, LoS is based on your transmitter instead of your eyes. You probably hold the transmitter 2-3' below your eye level.

You may also consider Fresnel zone effect below, but I doubt how Fresnel zone affecting only 300m range at 5.8G.

Attachments

• Fresnel_zone_disruption.png
    Fresnel_zone_disruption.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 560
Pull_Up said:
Hello long-range gurus. I bow to your superior knowledge and excellent homebrew achievements!

Now I've buttered you up I would like to ask an opinion of you.

I'm not after extreme range from my Vision, but I would just like to stabilize control and wifi (at the moment I tend to get a max of 1000ft for both, but it's variable sometimes drops out whilst I'm still visual with the aircraft which is what I'd like to improve).

So I have got one of these kits: http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... -full-kit/ which has matched antennas for ground and airside for max performance that are all LHCP. Now until my soldering skills are up to scratch, and until my gimbal arrives and I know about antenna placement, I'm wondering if I will see any benefit (or at least not see any downside) if I just fit the helicals on the ground side only for now? I notice that a lot of the mods in this thread are keeping the aircraft almost stock but I notice most effort is going into the wifi side as you all seem to have much better 5.8 performance than I do.

The big issue for me going forward with installing this full kit is going to be the receiver side as although the kit comes with pigtails, the stock antennas appear to be hot-glued or similar to the receiver board. So I either need a hint on how to take one off safely or I need to learn/find someone to do some fiddly splicing and soldering for me!

All information/hard knowledge/guesses/assumptions/speculations gratefully received. ;)

+1!

Ok, so I managed to test it out this morning. I put a post on the Horizon FPV specific thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9092&p=77566#p77566

Executive summary? With stock aircraft and Horizon 5.8 & 2.4 antennas on the ground side I got a 100% tx range improvement, and a 50% wifi range improvement (that was with the camera facing directly away from me, yawed sideways it was more). I tested it in a place I had previously flown in for a fair comparison of range.

shaun27 said:
here's a blue peter one this was put by ben and it does work made one my self and tested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_k8WP3-X0A

Nice video and nice work.

A proper built parabolic reflector (AKA windsurfer) should increase 3-6 dBi gain, which is equivalent to additional 40-100% range. There are some DIY 2.4G templates (PDF) of parabolic reflector available for download.

managed to get a range test in today on my stock p2v in FCC mode

200ft up and 1695ft in a straight line out before I lost signal I think this is about right on a stock p2v

Pull_Up said:
About 600ft more than mine could ever get stock in FCC mode. I think my part of the world has just been too wet - isn't moisture supposed to be bad for RF reception?! Still, my little 5.8 helical has pushed that out to 2000ft which is more than I'll ever want to use.
Mind posting a picture of your current setup?

I'm using two 9dbi omni (ducky) antennas. And get consistent 1200 with zero interference and full reception.
Understood that's very low and insignificant range but previous stock test was losing control at 500 feet and video at 800.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guudguy39