Still photography: Mechanical v. Rolling Electronic Shutter

At my age a physical condition will not going up but likely will going down so carrying all the stuff around become more and more difficult.
The photo back pack with 3 or 4 lenses and other things is around 5 kg. Then the tripod with its 3 kg and the camera with the lens 2 kg comes to almost 10kg all together.
And then here is the Phantom 4 backpack with its another 3kg. I'm a kind of Sherpa haha.
So I take the full set of luggage when I can put it into the car. Otherwise I must deal with compromises.

The mechanical shutter makes a difference ONLY if your subject is moving fast and is close to your camera. If that is a situation you encounter, a mechanical shutter might be warranted. Even then, the effect of an electronic shutter on the outcome of your image/video would not bother most viewers. I have had a P4P for several years. Then I started taking video with a Mavic Air. For the work I did, there was NO difference in image quality when (1) there was ample lighting, (2) my prints were small or the video was presented on LCD screens up to 27", and (3) the dynamic range of the image was reasonable. Those conditions prevailed 95% of the time.

If you look at how a mechanical focal plane shutter operates you will find at shorter exposures the second curtain begins to follow the first across the frame before it is fully open, effectively creating a slit that moves vertically. Not dissimilar to how the digital exposure is captured.
Depends on if it's a focal plane shutter. They still make leaf shutters.
I confess I don't know which type the P4P uses as a mechanical shutter.

Yes remember the big box and the bag of gunpowder and the tray you had to hold over your head and ignite just at the right time?. That was something wasn't it?
Ack! N00b! That was new fangled magnesium powder used in the flash tray. ;)

I just took this in the field with my M2P a few minutes ago. Stellar example of where the mechanical shutter shines.

IMG_1538165782.468042.jpg

The whole flight wasnt a waste, I still got a few decent shots. But, if I’d been flying the P4P this would never be an issue

I also captured this in the same flight. This is the same IWT that was distorted in the previous photo. They were rotating at a rather grueling pace today, so capturing the motion without mechanical shutter isnt impossible.

IMG_1538166713.022536.jpg

I just took this in the field with my M2P a few minutes ago. Stellar example of where the mechanical shutter shines.

View attachment 103855

The whole flight wasnt a waste, I still got a few decent shots. But, if I’d been flying the P4P this would never be an issue
Great example of rolling shutter.
So for now the P4P is a better choice for photogrammetry right?
The fact that mechanical shutter works for shutter speeds up to 1/2000 is it a problem?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik