Sporting events.....

Reaction score
I’ve been hired to grab some aerial footage of the Durham, NC area for a montage and plan to get a similiar shot like the one in the video link below but during a game. To the best of my knowledge the only FAA TFR is no flying within 3 miles of a MLB, NFL, NASCAR or NCAA stadium that holds 30,000 or more an hr before and after. This stadium holds 10,000. I’m not aware of any state or local ordinances or policies prohibiting this flight. The only people I’d fly over are any folks around the entrance and then I’m over the roof top, not over any seats or the open feild. It’s a 30 second flight and I might have to run it a few times to get a good reveal at the end with some game play in progress.

Any thoughts on doing this? I “feel” like I may be in a grey area legally with flying here during a game but can’t find anything clearly prohibiting it.

here is the video (its just a recon so I know it’s not technically sound).

Last edited:
I’ve been hired to grab some aerial footage of the Durham, NC area for a montage and plan to get a similiar shot like the one in the video link below but during a game. To the best of my knowledge the only FAA TFR is no flying within 3 miles of a MLB, NFL, NASCAR or NCAA stadium that holds 30,000 or more an hr before and after. This stadium holds 10,000. I’m not aware of any state or local ordinances or policies prohibiting this flight. The only people I’d fly over are any folks around the entrance and then I’m over the roof top, not over any seats or the open feild. It’s a 30 second flight and I might have to run it a few times to get a good reveal at the end with some game play in progress.

Any thoughts on doing this? I “feel” like I may be in a grey area legally with flying here during a game but can’t find anything clearly prohibiting it.

here is the video (its just a recon so I know it’s not technically sound).

Video isn't playing.

You busted the regs when you stated:

The only people I’d fly over are any folks around the entrance and ....

Your Part 107 clearly states "No flying over people other than flight crew". This means anyone now directly involved in the safe operation of the aircraft. Is it worth risking your Part 107 and being "That Guy"? Surely you can be creative and film this area from an angle and not directly over anyone or anything.

Have you reviewed the VFR Sectional for that area? RDU is an international airport and it covers a good amount of area. I've not reviewed it in years but it would be in your best interest to get it out and study it before making the final decision.

Video permissions corrected. “busted regs....” and so I did. So I will just make sure I don’t fly “directly” over anyone that isnt under cover. I don’t want to be “that guy” but I will go right to the fence to get the best shot. I take safety seriously and am always situationally aware. As stated, I’ll get creative.

thanks

Last edited:
the 107.39 reg states people under cover are fine.....
IMG_2133.jpg

I did review the VFR and Durham is outside of RDU's airspace. There is a Helipad at Duke University that I have to and have notified whenever I have flown there.

Reactions: BigAl07
are you part 107? Part 107 doesn't have to contact airports, you just have to follow airspace rules

I've done some work like this, and I try and launch away from people then get directly over the roof/trees/etc to avoid floating over people

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4