sport mode overload??

Reaction score
So i took my P4 out tonight as i got the litchi app, after 2 minutes decided i hated it and got rid and went back to the dji app. I decided to have a little fun with sport mode, so there i was flying drone as normal with no issues untill i took a left turn, the picture on the camera tilted very violently 3 times then a yellow message flashed up, im sure it said `motor overload` the p4 made a very loud noise with the blades as it was adjusting itself, i honestly thought it was going to drop from the sky. After that all was fine and normal....

Ive checked the flight log on dji app but no mesage comes up when this happened, also uploaded it to healtyh drones for a look to but nothing at all.

Has anyone had this before? i have it on video so it can be seen from that

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rafael Torres
Litchi is a great app. What did you not like about it?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

didnt like the way it was set out, when i planned the waypoints on my laptop and synced with the app it said it failed up to upload waypoints but started to fly the waypoints, then it wouldnt come out of waypoint mode when i wanted it too, just the general layout of the app i didnt like.
I may try it again though when im in a bigger open space to get the feel for it.

No i dont think so because the props on the p4 went ballistic and really loud almost like it was trying to counter balance its self.

Sounds like you just had an over current discharge warning, it was probably a cold day and you was probably killing it in sports mode right? It's really nothing to be concerned about unless you see it again under different circumstances, it's just a warning to tell you your battery is discharging too fast it can happen mostly with a cold battery and when you thrash the ESC'S, and do a sharp turn in sports mode, DJI should have put a longer loop time on this warning, I.e. the problem should exist for a couple seconds before throwing the warning, you could probably replicate it on a cold day, with a fresh cold battery, stick it in sports and ascend whilst accelerating at full speed towards the wind. I am not suggesting doing it, just telling you how it could be done.

It was a little cold and misty. I didnt really take the turn that crazy. You can see from video. This is the 3rd time its happened only in sport mode but this was the most violent tilt

I've had fun doing 'spirited' flying in sports mode.

I find whenever I try a snap 90 degree turn or a quick U turn at speeds over 40 MPH (60 Km/h), the thing goes completely sideways and I get the same video tilt that you have in the example you posted. When this happens, I get an error message, but it says: "Gimbal Roll Reached End Point".

The craft always recovers, but I try not to do this because it can't be good for the gimbal. This doesn't happen at all in P mode.

I get the same thing when Im flying from side to side in sport mode. Scared the heck out of me the first time it happened.

Mine only happens in sport mode too. Only thing this time is i actually saw the p4 tilt almost sideways and then heard the blades really loud as it recovered. I missed the error message due to almost having a heart attack that my p4 was going to fall out the sky!

I too got a similar camera response during a tight turn in sport mode, but I got a "gimbal reset" message. It occurs around the 27 seconds of the attached video. I had the P4 in view at all times and it maintained the right attitude for the turn. The message only appeared on my dji go display for a few seconds. As with you it was on a turn to the left !

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to me today as well. My P4 was using Auto Pilot app in follow mode chasing my car. Apparently , very windy at 400 feet because you could see the gimbal was reaching full range ( arm tip led's in view ) . Then it happened .. Full 90 degree gimbal movement .. Scared the crap out of me !! Two seconds later , all normal. I think when the ship is at full throttle and full tilt in any direction the gimbal freaks out ( but that's just a guess ) ..

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So i took my P4 out tonight as i got the litchi app, after 2 minutes decided i hated it and got rid and went back to the dji app. I decided to have a little fun with sport mode, so there i was flying drone as normal with no issues untill i took a left turn, the picture on the camera tilted very violently 3 times then a yellow message flashed up, im sure it said `motor overload` the p4 made a very loud noise with the blades as it was adjusting itself, i honestly thought it was going to drop from the sky. After that all was fine and normal....

Ive checked the flight log on dji app but no mesage comes up when this happened, also uploaded it to healtyh drones for a look to but nothing at all.

Has anyone had this before? i have it on video so it can be seen from that

Happened to me once in sport mode too!

For most of the posters here I wouldn't worry about it to much, the gimble would have to remain at a degree outside of the programming range (a place it shouldn't be, I. e. after a crash) to overload the gimble. Perhaps an extended period of time of overloading, I. e. leaving the gimble lock on and hitting some crazy angles in sports mode, might be able to burn the gimble motors, but the way I hear it is in normal operating ranges, meaning without crashing and subsequently making the gimble face an angle that the software doesn't understand, the motor won't burn itself out.

I'd like to know if there are any stress crack below the motors in the body/frame with all this extreme maneuvers and high Gs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.