Spironet vs BlueBeam Ultras vs. IBCrazy Helical vs Fatshark

Re: Spironet vs BlueBeam Ultras vs. IBCrazy Helical vs Fatsh

ddublu said:
Where do the Spironets fit between all of these?
The spironets and blubeams are both circular polarized antennas. If I had to choose, I'd go with Blubeams since they are made by IBCrazy (the guy who made CP antennas popular with FPV). I'd also go with the IBCrazy Helical, for the same reason. A 3 turn helical will get you're pretty far, but if you are planning on doing super long distance (2km up) go with a 5 or 7 turn helical.

and if you' havent signed the FAA petition yet, do so. Thanks!

Via Peter Sachs

The commenting deadline for the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft is July 25, 2014 at 11:59 PM.

This Interpretive Rulemaking will:

- create actual law banning on commercial operations;
- ban FPV operations; and
- allow the FAA to use all existing Federal Aviation Regulations against model aircraft operators.

If you haven't commented yet, here's an easy-to-use guide: https://app.box.com/s/fvl2k6bm5x1za922mzse
Then, post your comment at: http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComm ... -0396-0001

Thanks.
Peter Sachs

thongbong said:
ddublu said:
The spironets and blubeams are both circular polarized antennas. If I had to choose, I'd go with Blubeams since they are made by IBCrazy (the guy who made CP antennas popular with FPV). I'd also go with the IBCrazy Helical, for the same reason. A 3 turn helical will get you're pretty far, but if you are planning on doing super long distance (2km up) go with a 5 or 7 turn helical.

Thanks...I have the BlueBeam Ultras and Helical 5-turn from IBCrazy as well as the Fatshark Patch antenna...just see the Spironets a lot and wondered about the buzz around them...seems like it peaked before IBCrazy joined the scene.

ddublu said:
thongbong said:
ddublu said:

Thanks...I have the BlueBeam Ultras and Helical 5-turn from IBCrazy as well as the Fatshark Patch antenna...just see the Spironets a lot and wondered about the buzz around them...seems like it peaked before IBCrazy joined the scene.

Actually its the other way around. IBCrazy, started it all. The reason why you see Spironets more often is that they are mass produced hence a bit cheaper. IBCrazy, didn't invent the CP antenna, but he made it relevant to the FPV community, creating instructions for DIY CP antennas. IBCrazy made the original blubeams himself, and tested it himself. Thus, I believe they would be superior in that aspect.

thongbong said:
Actually its the other way around. IBCrazy, started it all. The reason why you see Spironets more often is that they are mass produced hence a bit cheaper. IBCrazy, didn't invent the CP antenna, but he made it relevant to the FPV community, creating instructions for DIY CP antennas. IBCrazy made the original blubeams himself, and tested it himself. Thus, I believe they would be superior in that aspect.

Sweet...thanks for the info.

i went with the spironet v2 hopefully no regrets there! :D

Question on when to use which one......in my neighborhood, the houses/streets are lined with 50-100 foot trees and I've noticed that when I get to about 600M away I start losing the signal on my Black Pearl. That's using the BlueBeam and Fatshark patch. If I were at the beach and had no real obstacles I would assume that range would be greater. Would the 5-turn helical be the best bet or would the patch? Also, I put my 90* elbow on the IRC so that the BlueBeam on the P2 points down and out but also isnt in the way when P2 lands....any feedback on this would be helpful. Thanks.

I didn't use an elbow with my BB as I heard that additional connections are the enemy of distance. But I do have my BB down the non-compass leg. Works great.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406436986.756451.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406436986.756451.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 778

ddublu said:
Question on when to use which one......in my neighborhood, the houses/streets are lined with 50-100 foot trees and I've noticed that when I get to about 600M away I start losing the signal on my Black Pearl. That's using the BlueBeam and Fatshark patch. If I were at the beach and had no real obstacles I would assume that range would be greater. Would the 5-turn helical be the best bet or would the patch? Also, I put my 90* elbow on the IRC so that the BlueBeam on the P2 points down and out but also isnt in the way when P2 lands....any feedback on this would be helpful. Thanks.

I've never used a patch antenna so I cant comment on that, but in my neighborhood, with just a clover leaf and skew planar with a 3 turn helical, I can go as far as 1200 meters with good reception, out in an open field I could go 3000m or more, but never wanted to go any further. All my antennas are home made following IBCrazy's instructions.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl