SpiroNet Antenna work fine with Rubber Duck Antenna?

Reaction score
I've been using the FatShark Predator v2 goggles with the SpiroNet antennas and have been really happy with them. I just picked up a LCD w/ DVR built in and fired it up yesterday to make sure everything worked.

I was in my basement and noticed that the reception wasn't that great - even though I was sitting a few feet from the Phantom. The LCD has the rubber duck antennas (two of them), and the Tx has the SpiroNet antenna.

I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to take it for a test run, but I thought I would check to see if this is going to be a big issue? Or should I look at replacing both of the rubber duck antennas for two SpiroNet antenna? I'm sure I'll get better reception using all SpiroNets, but should the rubber duck antennas work just fine?

Thanks

The problem is polarization, or loosely speaking the shape or pattern, of the waves leaving or encountered by the antennas.

The Spironet has a circular polarity and the rubber-duck has a linear polarity.
Therefore they are not matched to provide the optimum 'coupling' of the signal thus you experience the reduced reception.

Thanks N017RW. That's what I was thinking/wondering. I'm hoping to get the Phantom out for a run in the next few days and do a solid test with the new LCD, but I'm pretty sure that I'll just end up getting a couple of SpiroNets for the LCD too.

Get rid of the rubber duck antennas and look for better ones. Depends on what your target FPV range is, there are different types of antennas out there for you!

Get rid of the rubber duck antennas and look for better ones. Depends on what your target FPV range is, there are different types of antennas out there for you!

Thanks. I'm going to look for some replacements. That's pretty much the first thing everyone says - get rid of the rubber duck antennas!

Thanks. I'm going to look for some replacements. That's pretty much the first thing everyone says - get rid of the rubber duck antennas!

For ultimate range if you get a little more funds to play with: go FPVLR

Another good antennas I recommend are blue beam ultra. And ofcoz the lovely AOMWAY helical antenna from hobby king.

For ultimate range if you get a little more funds to play with: go FPVLR

Another good antennas I recommend are blue beam ultra. And ofcoz the lovely AOMWAY helical antenna from hobby king.

Thanks again - I'm off to do some research!

Sorry... dumb question. The new LCD I picked up has dual rubber duck antennas. In most of the pictures I've seen, people are using two different types of antennas. Should I replace just one one of the antenna (and leave one of the rubber duck antenna) - or replace both with the same type of new antenna?

If I had to guess, having two different types of antennas allows it to receive a wider 'spectrum'?

Sorry... dumb question. The new LCD I picked up has dual rubber duck antennas. In most of the pictures I've seen, people are using two different types of antennas. Should I replace just one one of the antenna (and leave one of the rubber duck antenna) - or replace both with the same type of new antenna?

If I had to guess, having two different types of antennas allows it to receive a wider 'spectrum'?

You can use two different types of antenna! On my black pearl, I am using a Aomway helical and a blue beam ultra! I am getting clean video feed out to 1.5km the. My radio range is dropped before any breaking up on the video.

You can use two different types of antenna! On my black pearl, I am using a Aomway helical and a blue beam ultra! I am getting clean video feed out to 1.5km the. My radio range is dropped before any breaking up on the video.

Awesome. Thanks again for the info!

I did some testing with various antennas at range (including the rubber ducks), and I have compiled the videos together so everyone can see the difference antennas can make. My target was about 200m away, and I have video of each round trip on each configuration so you get a sense of performance. I also did a height test using the optimal antennas I found.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Gary E
I did some testing with various antennas at range (including the rubber ducks), and I have compiled the videos together so everyone can see the difference antennas can make. My target was about 200m away, and I have video of each round trip on each configuration so you get a sense of performance. I also did a height test using the optimal antennas I found.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great format for reviewing antenna combinations. A few things which could improve it.

1) If you could have included on the video when which of the diversity channels was in use it would be nice. I know this not easy - you would need yet another camera - or an audio track to log this.
2) Mushrooms at either end alone should be good for 200-300m anyway.
3) Helixes have to point at the craft (more important the more turns and you have plenty). Maybe you were doing this but you did not say so. You looked to be pointing at 45 degrees and at 10-15m height that is not going to do it.
4) I would suggest using a helix for distances > 250m not below. This is where it comes into its own. I have managed 1Km with a 4.5 turn helix and two mushroom with a 25 (twenty five) mw transmitter.

Hope this helps. Good job anyway.

Thanks Hughie for your input,

1) I will add some diversity notes to it then. I know it was using the Helix primarily when it was past about 75m.
2) Good to know. I wasn't getting quite that distance, but I do know that temperature has an effect on the higher frequencies, and it was nearly 100 degrees.
3) At distance, I was pointing the helix at my copter be best I could, while watching the video feed. It was quite a task to monitor the antenna angle, antenna diversity indicator, and video feed all at the same time. It will take some getting used to I guess.
4) Quite impressive

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic