Spiral while going "Straight" Vertical

Reaction score
I'm sure it was a compass issue but I thought I would ask anyway. I've never had any issues regarding the compass with the exception of the J hook. We went to a friends about 75 miles west of us. They have a small farm so I took the P2 along to get some shots. First thing I did was a compass calibration. That was successful, 12 SATS (flying in GPS) and away I went basically straight up. But it didn't go straight it did a spiral all they way up to 400ft. The spiral was about 20 foot diameter. I flew around for 3-4 minutes and realize it had some type of issue. Instead of hanging in one place it would just make a large circle. I was still reading 12 SATS when I brought it straight down, yes it came down perfectly straight. I did another compass calibration, it got better. Did a third CC and it got better yet so I continued to fly to the end of the 1st battery. Battery #2 was perfect......with the exception of some very large J hooks. Battery 3 same deal, I tried to fly their fence line but could not hold a straight line.

How do you really know when you have a "Successful" compass calibration? I've never had an issue in the past

Thanks

Hang in there. Sunday is a busy day for many. I am sure someone with the knowledge will give you an answer soon.

Sounds like TBE to me which is typically caused by a disagreement between the compass and GPS as to what the actual heading is.

As for causes, there's the declination issue but that shouldn't change much in 75 miles. There may be a localized magnetic field near to where you calibrated the compass. Or the compass somehow got magnetized on the trip, car stereo speakers on the rear deck of your car can be a culprit if you keep the Phantom too close to them in the trunk.

ianwood said:
Sounds like TBE to me which is typically caused by a disagreement between the compass and GPS as to what the actual heading is.

As for causes, there's the declination issue but that shouldn't change much in 75 miles. There may be a localized magnetic field near to where you calibrated the compass. Or the compass somehow got magnetized on the trip, car stereo speakers on the rear deck of your car can be a culprit if you keep the Phantom too close to them in the trunk.

Thanks for the information.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj