Speed/Yaw & compass errors?

Reaction score
Finally got some decent weather this morning, so I went out to do some practice flying.

I got a number of warnings/errors during the flight, some of which I only became aware of when reviewing the flight logs.

Before I had taken off and then a couple of times afterwards, while I was doing my control check, there are signal loss errors. These did not persist during the flight.

Then during the flight there are warnings about speed and yaw errors (which I did not notice while flying) and compass errors, which I did notice but it was very brief.

I had been flying in P mode before switching to atti and there was nothing particularly noticeable about the behaviour, although I think that it did say at one point that it was switching to atti

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

On the second flight, I started in atti mode and all was well until I switched to GPS mode, when I started getting errors and noticed that it appeared that the controls were not responding as expected. I switched back to atti for landing then did a compass calibration.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I plan on going out again this evening at which point I will do another compass calibration before flying to see whether it's responding to controls.

Anything else I should check?

I have flown in this location before without running into any errors, there aren't any powerlines or anything else nearby that I'm aware of that could be causing interference.

I have flown in this location before without running into any errors, there aren't any powerlines or anything else nearby that I'm aware of that could be causing interference.

Has anything (crashes, updates, etc) changed between when you last flew without any errors and when you first started getting errors? I believe we're starting to see a number of similar reports where compass errors suddenly start appearing when flying in the same locations that previously were error free, although it's purely anecdotal at this point as there's no smoking gun has been found. Still, it would be helpful to be able to qualify these events to see if they're related in some way.

Last edited:
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
No crashes or updates. I did have a small flip on landing a couple of flights prior, when I was practicing atti mode landings and just caught one of the props on some long grass at the edge of my landing area, causing it to overturn at ground level but I have flown since with no issues.

I've been back out this evening, to the same location, for a quick couple of test flights. A couple of things I noticed:

1. There was a large metal gate relatively close to where I took off this morning (lying on the ground, so obscured by grass and I only noticed when watching the video back later today)
2. I am wearing a new watch strap, with a magnet on it. I took this off this evening and placed it well away from the drone before switching it on but I was wearing it this morning when I was setting up (but not when I calibrated the compass).

I did another compass calibration and all seemed well.

I took off and did my usual control check and noticed that (especially on turning) it looked quite wobbly. It also lost a couple of feet in altitude whilst hovering. Although windier tonight (gusts up to 12 mph and winds of 8mp) it looked a lot less stable than I expected.

I landed and swapped the props for a brand new set and had another go but it still looked wobbly to me.

The forecast tomorrow is for much lower wind speeds, so I am going to go through the same process again and if it still looks unstable then I think I am going to have to contact DJI.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20