Sorrento/Italy drone rules?

Reaction score
I have booked a holiday to Sorrento in south Italy in the summer and was looking forward to taking my drone with me, however I just looked up the regulations in italy and they are extremely tight compared to the UK(and the Netherlands)! They state you must have third party insurance, not fly further than 150 metres, not higher than 70 metres, over buildings etc. This worries me, especially the insurance part(I don't have any).
Does anyone have experience with the regulation in Italy? I could be reading the regulations wrong...
But more than that, what I suppose I'm more interested in is whether the local police will actually care, or just think you're a tourist and give you a warning.
I have heard of BIG fines being given out in Rome to people who fly over the city, but Sorrento is small enough that I wouldn't think it would be an issue and I'll probably just fly over the cliffs anyway.
Just looking for advice, I would like to bring the drone, but I won't if the rules are heavily enforced.

I'm going to Amalfi in August.
I'm bringing my P3P.
From my research Italy has strict rules regarding flying drones.
It's ok to bring into the country. -no night-flying☹️
It sounds like they require us to have a medical certificate, another pilot-type certificate, insurance and 3 take offs/landings in the last 30 days.
But I guess those details are only discovered if you break the law and a police catches you breaking the law.
I decided that I will bring my P3P and fly out over the ocean and be discreet.
But I'm leaving Toronto and am still a little concerned about crossing the Italian border with a drone but I have not heard of anyone having to leave their drone at the Italian Customs.
I'm going with the fact that I have not heard of any awful border-crossing story.
I phoned Alitalia. They only mentioned packing the battery @20-30% in my carry-on, which I'm aware of.

Reactions: harry9s
Yeah I would imagine it's more of an "if they check" situation in terms of being certified;). In my experience, police officers and the public tend to be captivated by watching it fly, unless you're in a city where they might treat it as an annoyance. To be honest, once it takes off, it's pretty hard for them see it, let alone judge how high or far away it is unless they have experience.
I have yet to take my batteries on a plane but was planning on discharging them to 30% ish as I've heard that's the safe way to take them in your carry on. I wouldn't think the border control would care, I'd be more worried about security with the lipos.

Reactions: iAm
I travelled to Mexico with my Phantom 3.
No issue what-so-ever with my secured Lipo batteries in my carry-on or the drone going thru customs in Mexico.
It was alot of fun having a drone while on vacation. People on the beach were fascinated with the bird. I tried to keep it low-key so I would fly early in the morning or at night (I love night city shots)..but, little did I know it's illegal to fly at night in Mexico......o-well it was dark and I never got caught.
I felt that the people or police in Mexico don't really care as long as we don't fly over them and just stay discreet.
And I'm hoping and assuming it'll be like that in Italy.
Having a flying camera adds a whole new adventure while on a vacation.
Have fun on your vacation!
When do you travel to Sorrento?
I'm going august 15 for one week.

I travelled to Mexico with my Phantom 3.
No issue what-so-ever with my secured Lipo batteries in my carry-on or the drone going thru customs in Mexico.
It was alot of fun having a drone while on vacation. People on the beach were fascinated with the bird. I tried to keep it low-key so I would fly early in the morning or at night (I love night city shots)..but, little did I know it's illegal to fly at night in Mexico......o-well it was dark and I never got caught.
I felt that the people or police in Mexico don't really care as long as we don't fly over them and just stay discreet.
And I'm hoping and assuming it'll be like that in Italy.
Having a flying camera adds a whole new adventure while on a vacation.
Have fun on your vacation!
I'm going for 10 days in July, looking forward to it.
Did you take the drone and batteries in the carry on, or drone in checked and batteries in carry on? I don't want to sacrifice checked luggage space with the drone, but am concerned about having the drone in the carry on, not sure what security would think about it (I'd put the props in the checked).

I'm going for 10 days in July, looking forward to it.
Did you take the drone and batteries in the carry on, or drone in checked and batteries in carry on? I don't want to sacrifice checked luggage space with the drone, but am concerned about having the drone in the carry on, not sure what security would think about it (I'd put the props in the checked).
I put the drone and the discharged batteries packed individually in Lipo bags in my carry-on.
Security in Toronto to Mexico didn't give the drone or batteries a second look while going thru the scanners.
But, just-in-case, I did remove all projectiles, blades anything that could be perceived as a weapon. And packed those items in my luggage.
...Great news, someone in this forum just notified me he's in Italy now with his P3P having a great time taking pictures...
Have yourself a great vacation!!
Fly safe and take great pictures.

I put the drone and the discharged batteries packed individually in Lipo bags in my carry-on.
Security in Toronto to Mexico didn't give the drone or batteries a second look while going thru the scanners.
But, just-in-case, I did remove all projectiles, blades anything that could be perceived as a weapon. And packed those items in my luggage.
...Great news, someone in this forum just notified me he's in Italy now with his P3P having a great time taking pictures...
Have yourself a great vacation!!
Fly safe and take great pictures.
Well security wouldn't let me take my drone in my hand luggage so I had to go back and leave it in my car. Huge shame because the views here are breathtaking and I would have loved to fly it here.

Well security wouldn't let me take my drone in my hand luggage so I had to go back and leave it in my car. Huge shame because the views here are breathtaking and I would have loved to fly it here.

That's a real shame. Given it sounds like it was security at the departure airport that stopped you, where were you flying from?

I'm also heading to Sorrento at the end of August and I had considered taking my P3S with me. I'm not so sure now.

That's a real shame. Given it sounds like it was security at the departure airport that stopped you, where were you flying from?

I'm also heading to Sorrento at the end of August and I had considered taking my P3S with me. I'm not so sure now.
I flew from East Midlands UK. I think I just got unlucky with the guy at security as lots of people have reported no problems. If you're worried about it just pack the drone and the props in your hold luggage and only take the batteries in your carry on. That way security won't know.

Reactions: mike.alexander

I am on the planning stages of a family trip to Sorrento and want to bring my P3P.
Since you are going to be there before I do, would you please share your experience (getting thru customs in Italy and most importantly flying the bird) with us in this thread. I would love to bring my bird with me to get video a pics.

I flew from East Midlands UK. I think I just got unlucky with the guy at security as lots of people have reported no problems. If you're worried about it just pack the drone and the props in your hold luggage and only take the batteries in your carry on. That way security won't know.
Sorry to read about your unfortunate incident.
I'm now considering packing the drone and remote in my luggage but am having a hard time thinking that the luggage is going to be tossed around and other bags packed atop mine.
Do you think it was the remote control that looked suspicious in these days of terrorism?

Get something like this and pack it in your check in luggage.

Attachments

• File Aug 01, 2 05 15 PM.jpeg
    File Aug 01, 2 05 15 PM.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 524
Reactions: iAm and cfd701
I am on the planning stages of a family trip to Sorrento and want to bring my P3P.
Since you are going to be there before I do, would you please share your experience (getting thru customs in Italy and most importantly flying the bird) with us in this thread. I would love to bring my bird with me to get video a pics.
Hi.
I will let you know how my trip goes.
I am now considering packing my drone in my luggage but am having a hard time thinking about my bird in my luggage being tossed around and other luggage piled atop.
I brought my bird to Mexico, in my carry-on, and now I can't imagine going on vacation without my bird. It adds a whole new dimension to travelling.
I leave from Toronto-Rome mid August.

Hi.
I will let you know how my trip goes.
I am now considering packing my drone in my luggage but am having a hard time thinking about my bird in my luggage being tossed around and other luggage piled atop.
I brought my bird to Mexico, in my carry-on, and now I can't imagine going on vacation without my bird. It adds a whole new dimension to travelling.
I leave from Toronto-Rome mid August.

Please do, keep me posted on this trip. I am going to put you in my Xmas list, Lol.

Sorry to read about your unfortunate incident.
I'm now considering packing the drone and remote in my luggage but am having a hard time thinking that the luggage is going to be tossed around and other bags packed atop mine.
Do you think it was the remote control that looked suspicious in these days of terrorism?
I don't think it was the remote. They just said that the airline would not take it. They implied at first that they would take it in hold luggage but then phoned the airline who suggested they wouldn't take it at all. Unlucky that one of the workers noticed the drone because at first the junior worker asked the guy who looks at the scans of the bags and he said he would let it through but the junior guy wasn't sure so asked his supervisor who then said they wouldn't take it. Ah well, that's life.;)
On a different note sorrento and the amalfi coast would be incredible to film so if anyone gets back with footage please send me some!

I don't think it was the remote. They just said that the airline would not take it. They implied at first that they would take it in hold luggage but then phoned the airline who suggested they wouldn't take it at all. Unlucky that one of the workers noticed the drone because at first the junior worker asked the guy who looks at the scans of the bags and he said he would let it through but the junior guy wasn't sure so asked his supervisor who then said they wouldn't take it. Ah well, that's life.;)
On a different note sorrento and the amalfi coast would be incredible to film so if anyone gets back with footage please send me some!
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Hopefully I will have a pic to send you, taken with my bird, of Amalfi when I am there later in August.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Hopefully I will have a pic to send you, taken with my bird, of Amalfi when I am there later in August.
Well have a good time, it's a great place. Hope you don't have any problems with your bird!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers