Sometimes she flips for no reason.

idk about the clouds but the wind was less than 10mph on the ground (around 9). the camera is tilted cause the gimbal is bent sideways (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17225).
trust me i was not fighting the wind that hard at all. i've flown in 27mph winds and experienced the struggle. there was no struggle this day. I know there was a lot of wind 700 feet in the air (of course), but she moved easily and quickly when i moved the right stick so i felt comfortable.
that whole vortex thing of the building i can totaly understand. and trust me i would never intentionally fly near a building without LOS. Thats why i stopped rotating around Revel (the really tall building), and the eagles stadium in my other video.
Where i was compared to how high i had the drone over the smaller building i honestly didn't think i'd lose LOS. :roll:
but i did smh. And I'm so glad it didn't hit the building.
The 2nd flip was uncalled for though . full forward motion with slight down throttle. i was only apron 200 feet off the ground and 300 or so feet from any tall buildings. For that reason, i think i'll send her in. I feel horrible being grounded but its better then the antsy feeling i have when i fly knowing somethings wrong. I was sweating like a pig this whole flight because it had flipped before (about 5 flights ago). i'll keep you guys updated on how DJI treats this, how long it takes, and how much it cost (shipping etc.).

ToThePoint: 1. i always fly in high winds. i don't have a choice. for some reason its always 17+mph around where i live (I don't live in ac. i was just visiting). constant high winds was torture when i was into flipping 3d helicopters. If i waited for low winds i'd fly once every 2 weeks maybe. It rains 5 days a week here also.

2. I've never flown behind a tall building and lost LOS before this, but i do lose LOS with every flight i take so it doesn't worry me. At least a few times. I range test my phantom at least twice per flight. otherwise I'm just flying around in circles. small circles cause there are constant 70 foot trees around here that lose LOS quickly. less than 200 feet away.

3. i always thought you had to be within 10 or 20 feet of a building to get any backlash. smh. i've learned that lesson

*but the first time this happened there was no buildings. i was at a park that had a bunch of baseball fields etc. that's whats throwing me off. That's the only reason i won't blame the 2nd flip on the wind. But regardless, she's going back.

Mori55: i would answer you 2 ways: I don't manifest things like that into my life ;)
and i'd just get another. I have to get another drone to fly while dji has this one anyway. any suggestions?

Pyrophantom: not to be cocky but i wish someone would say something to me about where and how i fly. I was filming over a carnival once and the cops came over to me to ask questions. they walked away saying it was the coolest thing they'd ever seen.

Blacktracer: everything does happen for a reason. I just gotta find the reasoning behind this one ;)

Mr.305: the rear right motor is the motor that lost a prop when it lost gps and descended into a tree (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14470&start=50). and twice when i landed it, right before the motor shut off it pulled back suddenly smacking both rear props into the ground. I would quickly label this the problem, but the first time it flipped was before the flyaway/tree crash.

@neoneo

NP its a first time for everything.
Lets see what DJI has to say.

who else got the fireworks
http://youtu.be/Jh4H9z9rqiA

i've been waiting to send her back to dji to see why she keep flipping and falling out of the sky like in this vid.
http://youtu.be/mJHBYhnALuA
she goes back to dji tomorrow as soon as i hang up the phone with them.

I find it interesting that there wasn't one mention in this thread of possible signal interference. I saw numerous power lines during that second flip. DJI does caution about flying near power lines.

srandall25 said:
I find it interesting that there wasn't one mention in this thread of possible signal interference. I saw numerous power lines during that second flip. DJI does caution about flying near power lines.

the first time it flipped was at a park with no wires what so ever. just open fields. and it flipped almost exactly the same as the second one in the vid.
plus i think the warning of power lines is kinda like a generic disclaimer. like when they say to turn your cell phones off on a plane. yes technically it could cause interference but its highly unlikely.

Did it always happen near the antennas ? I know I've put some of those up. We where warned about the RF emissions coming out of some of thse antennas. Especially the AM antenna , and who knows what else they have up there. You don't have to be real close to them.

i sent the drone back on July 7th. On July 25th i got this
-
We have received your unit and logged it into our system for tracking. Please note that your unit is not currently in the repair queue as that process can take up to two weeks. Our turnaround time for repair is currently 4 weeks from check in date.

Please note that email support and phone support are not able to give out status updates prior to the 4 week mark. If your unit is in it's 4th week and you have not received a response please reply directly to this email. Our Customer service Phone Support is unable to give proper status updates as they do not have access to the repair queue or it's time frame.

Should any problems arise with your unit or if repair needs to contact you they will do it via this ticket.

We appreciate your patience and thank you for your support of the DJI Product Line.

Anthony C.
DJI Technology Customer Service Lead
-

i'll keep you guys updated on the progress

Did you calibrate the IMU?
If it's not a bad motor it could be the IMU getting faulty gyro/accelerometer data.
Unlikely a calibration could fix it though since it seems intermittent.

Also, regaining altitude lost would be normal behavior.
If the Phantom was at altitude X it would be trying to maintain that altitude.
If something caused it to lose altitude, it would attempt to return to where it was.

shipped unit back to dji on July the 7th.
they me on July 25th saying that they received it
And they emailed me today (August 20th) saying:
-
Thank you! Your unit has been received into our facility. You will be notified when the repair team receives the unit and begins to diagnose/repair the unit. Thank you and have a wonderful day.
-
-------When i asked about the time frame they said:
-
Thank you for your understanding and patience. The four week repair time starts from when your unit was logged in ( July 25, 2014). The delay from when your unit was delivered to when it was checked in was due to an unexpected increase of incoming units which caused a back log at our offices.

We are in the process of expanding our US based team to handle the increased volume that we are seeing. We are expecting that in the near future there will be no delay between delivery and check in time, faster response times, and quicker turn around times for repair. We ask that you please bear with us during this transition phase.

Thank you for your support of the DJI product line!
-
this is taking way too long smh

neoneo said:
The delay from when your unit was delivered to when it was checked in was due to an unexpected increase of incoming units which caused a back log at our offices.

Well that's not scary or anything... :-/

Seems like it likes to flip towards the right, so possibly the ESC on the right leg is going bad. If you weren't getting DJI involved, or couldn't get a replacement, I'd consider 4 new ESC's. They aren't all that expensive.

dannytroy said:
Seems like it likes to flip towards the right, so possibly the ESC on the right leg is going bad. If you weren't getting DJI involved, or couldn't get a replacement, I'd consider 4 new ESC's. They aren't all that expensive.

i never thought about it like that. the first time it flipped (not captured on video) was to the right also. thanks for that

Dji says that they had to fix the malfunctioning flight controller and the bent gimbal assembly. I sent the unit in on July 7th and i got a tracking number that says it'll be here October 3rd. They fixed it for free because the long wait. they say:

The repairs on your Phantom 2 Vision Plus have been completed. Our technicians found the following issues with your: a malfunctioning flight controller and a damaged camera/gimbal assembly.

Our technicians performed the following repairs:
replaced the flight controller and camera/gimbal assembly.

Your unit has been tested and are fully operational. You will not be billed for repairs at this time as we wish to extend free repair services for you due to the delay in processing.

YOU AIN'T HAD YOUR BIRD SINCE THE BEGINNING OF JULY?!?!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

No WONDER you been so quiet around here!!!

neoneo said:
Dji says that they had to fix the malfunctioning flight controller and the bent gimbal assembly. I sent the unit in on July 7th and i got a tracking number that says it'll be here October 3rd. They fixed it for free because the long wait. they say:

The repairs on your Phantom 2 Vision Plus have been completed. Our technicians found the following issues with your: a malfunctioning flight controller and a damaged camera/gimbal assembly.

Our technicians performed the following repairs:
replaced the flight controller and camera/gimbal assembly.

Your unit has been tested and are fully operational. You will not be billed for repairs at this time as we wish to extend free repair services for you due to the delay in processing.
I think it's safe to say that they can attribute the bent gimbal to crashes caused by the faulty flight controller. Mine has been in the que for about 2 weeks and hasn't moved since it was put there. It's been about 6 weeks waiting so far. Sent to the Hollywood, Ca DJI center.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31