Someone Tell me What im doing wrong before a Sell my P34k

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a P3-4k drone however i'm not happy with the photos its taking. i'm thinking that there might be something wrong with the camera or something.

Here is link to some photos i took today on a sunny but a little cloudy day. the photos are not modify and there are some set on auto and some i turned the exposure down as the roof was going really white as you can see

Dropbox - Gilmours

my Iphone 5 is taking better photos than the 4k drone.

these photos are for a client which i cant use as they are crap.

are i just being picky.

cheers

I've got a P3-4k drone however i'm not happy with the photos its taking. i'm thinking that there might be something wrong with the camera or something.
Pix 1, 7, 8, 13 & 14 are a bit over exposed and the rest are fine.
Check your camera data line on the app screen to make sure you haven't accidentally set it to over-expose.
If it's showing something like EV+0.3, you can dial that back to EV0
Sometimes the subject can fool the autoexposure.
When you want to make sure you have a good shot you can bracket your exposures with the AEB feature which will take multiple shots at slightly different exposure settings so you have a few options to work with.

I think your client will still be thrilled. All of the highlights in the photos you took are recoverable (assuming you shoot in RAW) with Lightroom or Adobe Camera RAW. (LR is a worlds better app though). Definitely bracket your shots which also allows you to bring the 3-image bracket into an HDR software (like Nik Collection HDR Efex Pro, which is free) which can be applied gently to be more realistic. I've been pretty amazed at the photo quality and I use a Canon 5D mkIII and Sony A7r2 professionally. It's important to change the settings for Sharpness/Contrast/Saturation if you haven't already. I took mine down to -3. A flat image is preferred. It's better to adjust those controls in post. I've been pretty happy with how the image (even the video) take LR editing. I can recover highlights and lift the shadows without degradation or artifacting. It starts to break down at higher ISO's. Even with my camera settings at -3, I see sharpening, over-contrast and over-saturation that I don't prefer with a RAW image, but still quite acceptable.

Reactions: David_Cambridge
Pix 1, 7, 8, 13 & 14 are a bit over exposed and the rest are fine.
Check your camera data line on the app screen to make sure you haven't accidentally set it to over-expose.
If it's showing something like EV+0.3, you can dial that back to EV0
Sometimes the subject can fool the autoexposure.
When you want to make sure you have a good shot you can bracket your exposures with the AEB feature which will take multiple shots at slightly different exposure settings so you have a few options to work with.
PLUS 1 for this above. one of the things I love most about the 4k is you have the wheel to change EV on the fly till the picture suits your needs I was out this evening taking pictures of the sunset. Using that feature I was ably to fully overexpose the photo so much that the sun washed out everything then going the opposite direction into the negative I could darken the surrounding area and make the horizon look like it was on fire from the Sun. I use that feature for effects in my photos. its nice you can scroll the wheel to get what you want and see what its going to look like before you take the Picture

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
PLUS 1 for this above. one of the things I love most about the 4k is you have the wheel to change EV on the fly till the picture suits your needs I was out this evening taking pictures of the sunset. Using that feature I was ably to fully overexpose the photo so much that the sun washed out everything then going the opposite direction into the negative I could darken the surrounding area and make the horizon look like it was on fire from the Sun. I use that feature for effects in my photos. its nice you can scroll the wheel to get what you want and see what its going to look like before you take the Picture

Good tip! Absolutely essential for shooting video when the exposure of your scene changes mid-flight, like flying into, then banking away from the sun. I need to be able to adjust the exposure simultaneous with the flight maneuver, two thumbs on the sticks, two fingers on the gimbal and exposure wheel.

Reactions: epicdoom
yes one of the issues with these things is if your in a nice bright sky your ground is usually very dark as you tilt up and down the light changes tremendously being able to find a good balance is key to a good picture in that circumstance using your exposure wheel or EV via the Wheel lets you do that and see what your picture will look like before you snap it. I do use filters to subdue direct sunlight pictures, but they also make your ground even darker. I have the standard drone also and getting into the 4k was like WOW so much better for what can be done with ease, for me being able do this stuff via a control as apposed to opening that area in the app and fooling with the settings means I can get more usable flight time actually taking pics and video and not wasting time pulling up stuff with the app. I am planning on getting the P3P but I wont be selling the 4k its been a great drone and will make a great backup

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
yes one of the issues with these things is if your in a nice bright sky your ground is usually very dark as you tilt up and down the light changes tremendously being able to find a good balance is key to a good picture in that circumstance using your exposure wheel or EV via the Wheel lets you do that and see what your picture will look like before you snap it. I do use filters to subdue direct sunlight pictures, but they also make your ground even darker. I have the standard drone also and getting into the 4k was like WOW so much better for what can be done with ease, for me being able do this stuff via a control as apposed to opening that area in the app and fooling with the settings means I can get more usable flight time actually taking pics and video and not wasting time pulling up stuff with the app. I am planning on getting the P3P but I wont be selling the 4k its been a great drone and will make a great backup
You can see where two operators may be essential to get a truly film-worthy video clip.

Reactions: epicdoom

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT