Some guidance needed, should I get the DJI FPV Goggles?

Reaction score
I use the Epson BT-300 all the time and they are brilliant. However I often get home and I have missed a shoal of fish, a dolphin or people walking. I still want to use the glasses but I am considering buying the DJI FVP Goggles. I don't need the racing ones I can hardly coordinate walking never mind the crazy speeds racing drones do. I mostly do slow stuff and even the fastest stuff I do I have found the BT good enough. Through an insurance claim I have $350 AU left on the claim. In Aus they are 479 with the outlet I have the voucher I have.
So they would cost me $129. I could get a hard drive or a new SD card but I don't really need them.
I know it sounds like a stupid question but is it worth me getting the DJI goggles? Ideally I would like to swap them mid flight ie from the BTs to the DJI Goggles, or at the very least come home and quickly swap the BTs for the goggles.
Is any one using both and would recommend buying them or not? I have alwasy thought the goggles look stupidly big but if I can see every detail as if I was there so I don't miss anything.
Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question because it's a matter of personal taste, I am on the fence about it. I mainly use the P4PV2.0 and occasionally the Mavic 2 Zoom.
What would you do and why?

I'd be looking for someone who owns the DJI Goggles and ask for a demo. Then tune your Goggles to his frequency and see if there's a difference. A bigger screen doesn't always mean better visibility, although I was that impressed with reports I read about the DJI (Halo) Goggles I now have them, but due to illness they haven't been switched on as yet.

Yip good advice above,,try a demo first cause can cause motion sickness,I couldn't wait to get some and was disappointed when I did,,talk about in your face ,they close out all of your surroundings and very immersive which makes some sick like car sickness,,good for watching movies or clips of flying or who ever wants to view while you fly ,,they do have wheel to adjust to each of our eyesight but some like me they not come full focus so had to try reading glasses or some by clip in diopters so can see better,,I did like gimble tracking , that's where you turn your head the cam follows,even upwards,myself also did not like the touch pad on the side,its got 1 finger swipe and 2 finger swipe to lock ,, was a bit to manage and to get used to,,,I also found when wearing goggles the drone was closer to me than the goggle view showed so judging gaps I had to flip up to see,,I would prefer the bt glasses

Reactions: John Gowland
Thanks RedDog7 and ianzone I was about to jump in and get them. I am pleased I posted. I will wait till I see someone with the goggles before I get them.

A bit off topic, perhaps, sorry. I have just received DJI goggles but not yet unboxed. Will share my experience.
But I am interested to know more about the insurance side of it. Who you insure with, costs, what they need, i.e. do you need to be an operating company etc. All info gratefully received!

My situation is quite unique I suppose. I have a "life long no claims bonus". There are always loads of options with insurance. The best one I have heard of in the US is the one where you use and app and get good insurance for the time you are flying in a particular place. I forget what its called but I hear lots of flyers use it in the US. They want your money so shop around and I am sure you will get a good deal. But mine is not cheap I pay $100 AU a month ($76US?). But I never have to worry about my drones if I have misapps, I have had more than a few here in Aus and abroad.
I hate not having insurance for holidays and tech which is all I spend money on:) I do not fly commercially so I don't know much about it, but if you do you have to be under the wing of an "Operators licence" unless you get that level of certification. I think it's pretty similar the world over.

I use the Epson BT-300 all the time and they are brilliant. However I often get home and I have missed a shoal of fish, a dolphin or people walking. I still want to use the glasses but I am considering buying the DJI FVP Goggles. I don't need the racing ones I can hardly coordinate walking never mind the crazy speeds racing drones do. I mostly do slow stuff and even the fastest stuff I do I have found the BT good enough. Through an insurance claim I have $350 AU left on the claim. In Aus they are 479 with the outlet I have the voucher I have.
So they would cost me $129. I could get a hard drive or a new SD card but I don't really need them.
I know it sounds like a stupid question but is it worth me getting the DJI goggles? Ideally I would like to swap them mid flight ie from the BTs to the DJI Goggles, or at the very least come home and quickly swap the BTs for the goggles.
Is any one using both and would recommend buying them or not? I have alwasy thought the goggles look stupidly big but if I can see every detail as if I was there so I don't miss anything.
Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question because it's a matter of personal taste, I am on the fence about it. I mainly use the P4PV2.0 and occasionally the Mavic 2 Zoom.
What would you do and why?
I wear glasses. After a few different fpv goggles, I settled on fat shark. Versatile and there are at least two suppliers of corrective lens inserts..$80 a pair. If that's an issue.

Reactions: John Gowland
You can wear glasses with the DJI Halo Goggles, that's why I chose them. I also have a few older type goggles and purchased some diopter lenses from HobbyKing. They did the job. Plus it's possible, with a little trimming, to build a spare pair of glasses into some of the box type headsets. The procedure is shown on YouTube.

Reactions: Capt KO
Had not considered FPV goggles for the Phantom, figuring FPV was more of a race thing. Reading these posts have piqued my interest now, particularly for having someone watch while I fly. Anyone live in South Florida (PBC) area willing to meet up and lemme try them with my drone? ?

When the light is good, early in the morning and late in the day, golden hours, the BT glasses are fantastic. But they do not solve the problem of missing tiny details. In the bright sunlight of midday sun the BT glasses are almost useless. There are 3rd party solutions which almost turns them into total immersion experience such as the DJI goggles.
I just recently got so frustrated with the glasses in the middle of a bright Australian sun I did something really weird.
I got a black, cotton shopping bag from my car and put it over my head! Yes very stupid you think. Bang, what a difference the image came alive, I could read all the text in the DJI go app and see what the P4P was seeing with amazing clarity. Still not the detail I am hoping for but a massive difference. So just try it, it's an amazing difference.
Waring, make sure no one can see you because you look very stupid. :)

l love the DJI FPV goggles. But the Epson BT-300 are better. I have changed my mind about them of late. My old pair did get worse and worse. I have since bought a new pair and they are the best drone glasses you can buy on the planet. However I have not used the other Epson 35s an others.
The BTs are legal when you fly alone and clear as, I wish I could use them with my MM2, Mavic Air 2S and my DJI FPV. So I can only use them on my P4P 2.0 which I rarely use these days. Too much wobble, too big and I find my MA 2S a better camera. The MA 2S, I think is the best prosumer drone ever made, to date.

I use the bt35e with my mavic zoom and man there the bomb iv used the white dji goggles my only problem with them is in the summer the screen fogs up and I tried all sorts of ways to stop it plus I can't see around me ether when and if I'm flying along.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20