Solder Job Or No?

Reaction score
Post-crash, noticed the compass socket was bent a bit. Upon closer examination I noticed that one of the feet on this socket broke loose.
IMG_20201019_141915534.jpg
IMG_20201019_143029737.jpg

The pins all appear fine (though I don't own an ohm reader to verify that). I'm wondering if that leg serves a purpose and needs to be soldered or could it be a basic glue job?

Thanks for your time.

Yip if solder cracked it's bad contact,,give it a fresh blob to secure it,,some legs do complete the board solder work ,some just hold but I see solder there so re solder might be needed
And welcome to forum

Reactions: Capt KO
Post-crash, noticed the compass socket was bent a bit. Upon closer examination I noticed that one of the feet on this socket broke loose.
View attachment 120411View attachment 120412
The pins all appear fine (though I don't own an ohm reader to verify that). I'm wondering if that leg serves a purpose and needs to be soldered or could it be a basic glue job?

Thanks for your time.
I believe that the 2 end pads are grounds and also anchor the connector to the board. I would hold it tight to the board and reflow that broken solder joint just as @ianzone said.

I would worry that there is more connection damage underneath the chip that you can’t see, if the chip has moved that much away from the pcb. Try resoldering it, but be prepared for more problems. That pin probably is a ground, but it also did provide mechanical support, which is clearly gone. The signal pins are much smaller and more delicate, and more easily damaged.

The only real way to fix this would be for a properly equipped repair station to lift the chip off the board, check all the connections underneath, and if they are ok, reflow the entire chip flat back on the board.

Reactions: MaxE1955!
I would worry that there is more connection damage underneath the chip that you can’t see, if the chip has moved that much away from the pcb. Try resoldering it, but be prepared for more problems. That pin probably is a ground, but it also did provide mechanical support, which is clearly gone. The signal pins are much smaller and more delicate, and more easily damaged.

The only real way to fix this would be for a properly equipped repair station to lift the chip off the board, check all the connections underneath, and if they are ok, reflow the entire chip flat back on the board.
Perhaps my eyes deceive me but I don't think that that's a chip in the photos - looks more like a connector to me and they're a lot more robust and forgiving than a chip.

OP - solder it back down and see if it works! :)

Reactions: KachemakDiver

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan