Soil and multispectral drone

Reaction score
Hi everyone,I'm new to the forum and based in the UK. I was recently asked if I am able to determine soil quality to help create valuable rate fertilizer spreading maps. Anyone here know if I can achieve, albeit basic, maps with my multispectral drone?

Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy ?

Hi everyone,I'm new to the forum and based in the UK. I was recently asked if I am able to determine soil quality to help create valuable rate fertilizer spreading maps. Anyone here know if I can achieve, albeit basic, maps with my multispectral drone?
I think you would have to use vegetation 'health' as a proxy for soil fertility (while obviously veg. growth is also correlated with temp. and precip., and soil moisture with topographic position), within a single field that presumably received the same amount of precip and sun, and where the topography is already known, variations in veg. health that are not obviously topographically-caused, must be at least somewhat related to soil fertility). There are several different RGBNearIR vegetation indices (including, but not only, NDVI) you can generate from your multispectral drone images. There would be lots of uncertainty for your client to weigh.........

I think you would have to use vegetation 'health' as a proxy for soil fertility (while obviously veg. growth is also correlated with temp. and precip., and soil moisture with topographic position), within a single field that presumably received the same amount of precip and sun, and where the topography is already known, variations in veg. health that are not obviously topographically-caused, must be at least somewhat related to soil fertility). There are several different RGBNearIR vegetation indices (including, but not only, NDVI) you can generate from your multispectral drone images. There would be lots of uncertainty for your client to weigh.........
Hi Phil, that's the solution I have used so far as a guide for my client to pass to his agronomist as a guide of areas to scout and soil sample, I just hoped there was possibility of more from the drone. Thank you

Greetings!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1