Soft/rigid silicone prop guards?

Reaction score
I wasted one of my prop guards at the weekend after a RTH went a bit askew and it hit a plant pot. So I now have to buy a full set to replace just one (though if it happened again I would have a spare immediately to hand) and I was wondering, are all prop guards created equally, ie hard plastic that tends to crack and break if you do hit an obstacle? Or are there any made of that soft but rigid silicone that some mobile/cellphone cases are made from?

Silicone guards would be a much better option as they would not only protect the props but themselves as well. Fully enclosed, ie like 2 of the existing type put together in a sort of clam shell design, would be an even better option as they would would fully protect the rotors and body if the drone flips on crash landing. I realise there would be an increase in weight and a reduced flying time, and possible performance restrictions, as a result. But the benefits to learners and flying in built up areas would surely be beneficial.

Agree. I will support if shell and landing gear is also made up of silicone or any other flexible material.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I wasted one of my prop guards at the weekend after a RTH went a bit askew and it hit a plant pot. So I now have to buy a full set to replace just one (though if it happened again I would have a spare immediately to hand) and I was wondering, are all prop guards created equally, ie hard plastic that tends to crack and break if you do hit an obstacle? Or are there any made of that soft but rigid silicone that some mobile/cellphone cases are made from?

Silicone guards would be a much better option as they would not only protect the props but themselves as well. Fully enclosed, ie like 2 of the existing type put together in a sort of clam shell design, would be an even better option as they would would fully protect the rotors and body if the drone flips on crash landing. I realise there would be an increase in weight and a reduced flying time, and possible performance restrictions, as a result. But the benefits to learners and flying in built up areas would surely be beneficial.

I don't know if you will find silicone that is rigid enough. If your prop guard gets pushed into a prop then it defeats the purpose. Nylon or HDPE might be good material though.

My plastic ones work rather well , so far I have plowed through bushes & pine Tree branches & bounced off a Cement Power Pole , with no damage & the prop's just buzz through greenery . I'll work on putting a video together .

Attachments

• DSCN2755.JPG
    DSCN2755.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 257

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.