So...bought an Inspire 1 v2, any advice?

Reaction score
B&H had a deal I couldn't resist any longer. Inspire 1 V2 with Zen X5R (raw version), 512g SSD, two controllers and an extra 2 battery pack all for $3800. So I pulled the trigger on it.

Ok, I have had a lot of fun with my P3A and P3P. I have, of course, not updated the firmware since whats in my sig. I have not updated GO.

What I don't want to do is screw up my P3P setup by updating GO and all that crap. Is there a way to link up the Inspire on the same tablet without pooching my nice safe P3 setup without all the geofencing? Or am I going to have to buy another nVidia Shield tablet for the Inspire? I am pretty sure GO will have to get to the internet to make the I1 work (I assume the initial registration is similar to the P3A and P3P were). Problem is I don't want GO updating. And I don't want it downloading the new NFZ maps.

Any way around all that? And of you others out there running the I1 with P3's?

Anything I should know? Its probably gonna arrive on Friday so I wanted to get any info and warnings about the process ahead of time. I know how DJI is about not letting you go back in versions once you go forward.

B&H had a deal I couldn't resist any longer. Inspire 1 V2 with Zen X5R (raw version), 512g SSD, two controllers and an extra 2 battery pack all for $3800. So I pulled the trigger on it.

Ok, I have had a lot of fun with my P3A and P3P. I have, of course, not updated the firmware since whats in my sig. I have not updated GO.

What I don't want to do is screw up my P3P setup by updating GO and all that crap. Is there a way to link up the Inspire on the same tablet without pooching my nice safe P3 setup without all the geofencing? Or am I going to have to buy another nVidia Shield tablet for the Inspire? I am pretty sure GO will have to get to the internet to make the I1 work (I assume the initial registration is similar to the P3A and P3P were). Problem is I don't want GO updating. And I don't want it downloading the new NFZ maps.

Anything I should know? Its probably gonna arrive on Friday so I wanted to get any info and warnings about the process ahead of time. I know how DJI is about not letting you go back in versions once you go forward.

have you thought about getting Litchi, no geofencing with that, I've got Litchi and DJI go both on my Nvida K1 all I do is to disable DJI when I use Litchi.

have you thought about getting Litchi, no geofencing with that, I've got Litchi and DJI go both on my Nvida K1 all I do is to disable DJI when I use Litchi.
I do not fly with GO. Never have. If you looked at my sig you would see I use Litchi. I have only ever flown with Litchi. However, I was afraid that GO would update during the linking/registration and then force firmware updates on my P3's or at minimum not work with them if it updated. I know how sneaky DJI is about shipping updates behind your back.

use another phone to get Inspire working and after it's registered, you can use your Shield with it
at least I think it could work this way

I only have 1 other phone capable of running GO and thats my Samsung S5 which is my standby device for when I want to fly both the P3A and P3P at the same time so I don't want to screw that pooch. I only have one tablet capable of running GO (having sufficient hardware to allow it at least) so I don't have a backup there either.

I love the idea of another phone to register with though. I can't do anything with my Verizon line as I am grandfathered in with unlimited data and I don't want to screw that up. Is there any of those disposable pre-pay phones that will run GO long enough to get the drone registered? I could buy one and just toss it without ever using it. If its a reasonable cost, that is.

im like you, havent updated my p3pro or dji go in a while, im currently using dji go 2.4.3 (if you want it let me know and ill send you the apk) and yesterdady i needed to connect the nvidia shield tablet i use to fly in order to sync my flight data. no problem at all, i wasnt asked to update the app and the best of all is that 2.4.3 is compatible with Inspire 1 pro :)

so dont worry, just fire the app, the inspire and your good to go!

for sure, the inspire you just bought is an old one with an old firmware, so you wont be forced to upgrade.

im like you, havent updated my p3pro or dji go in a while, im currently using dji go 2.4.3 (if you want it let me know and ill send you the apk) and yesterdady i needed to connect the nvidia shield tablet i use to fly in order to sync my flight data. no problem at all, i wasnt asked to update the app and the best of all is that 2.4.3 is compatible with Inspire 1 pro :)

so dont worry, just fire the app, the inspire and your good to go!
I had to put 3.1.4 on my S5 for the Osmo Mobile. The older one didn't list the Osmo Mobile and couldn't get it powered up. IIRC I think I rolled it back after that. But I wasn't sure if that would work with the I1v2 or not.

I couldn't resist :)

Btw, thats THREE batteries. Inspire comes with one, and that bundle comes with a two-pack extra. Unfortunately they are the TB47 and not newer TB48. But it will get some flight time until I pony up for some of the larger batteries. And I will likely mod one for adding extra side-car batteries for extended flight time.

Now if I could just figure out how to link this account to the InspirePilots forum, life would be good.

thats a great deal
two controllers, two batteries, x5r and inspire 2 v2
That's an Inspire 1 V2.

Now if I could just figure out how to link this account to the InspirePilots forum, life would be good.

I wish... unfortunately they are wholly separate forums (new log in etc).

You're going to LOVE the Inspire. I bought mine (X3 camera though) a few months back and it's a BLAST to fly. I have it set up specifically for Search & Rescue (STORK drop kit etc) and the potential for other things are GREAT!!!

Have you priced Landing Mode cases yet? Sit down before you do LOL. They are a premium cost but I have one due to arrive any day now. Gotta pay to play I guess LOL.

don't tell me you don't have some old Android phone (my oldest 4-year Huawei can run DJI GO without problems)
and if you really don't, ask your wife/girlfriend/friend/colleague/neighbour...

I have to tell you. True fact.

The last cell I had is a Motorola Droid X2 that currently is doing duty as an alarm clock on my night stand. Its on Ice Cream Sandwich and I don't know of a later Android for it. GO won't run on it. The Droid was my first smart phone (assuming you don't consider the Kyocera phone that was also a Palm 3 a smart phone). Before that it was an AT&T mobile phone that was the size of a shoe box and mounted in the trunk with a remote head mounted (wired) to the front floorboard. I don't change phones very often. In fact the only reason I have the S5 is I bought it off tom's when I thought I had lost the Droid at the rifle range. It turned up a week later in some boxes where it had slipped out of my shirt pocket while stowing the boxes away.

The old lady does not have a smart phone. Never has. Hers is one of those with the slide out KB so obviously its not compatible with GO.

My only other tablet is an Asus Transformer and GO refused to install on it when I got the P3P to start with. Listed as incompatible on the play store. Found out its because it doesn't have any USB port. Charger has a custom plug. So thats why I have the nVidia Shield. Those are the only two tablets I have ever owned.

I believe the old lady has a Nook something I think. She bought it on her own one time from one of her friends who got a newer one. Pretty old. Its not compatible for GO. I don't think hers has a standard USB port either. Charger has a funky plug on it.

So, both extra tablets I have, even if they could run GO couldn't plug into the RC unit anyway. So moot point.

So, yes I really do have exactly ONE phone capable of GO and ONE tablet capable of GO. And I really don't what to screw the pooch on either as I do need both when I fly both phantoms.

So, I ask again. Is there any of those pre-pay phones that will run GO long enough to register the Inspire that are reasonable cost to be a throw away or just throw in a drawer as a backup phone for some day?

Any local DJI fly buddies who can help you by using their tablet?

No. Never gone flying with anyone else. Met some guys at parks but they didn't have phantoms. Tried winter before last with a meetup from folks here, but never saw them in the park.

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm gonna pull the trigger on an inspire or something I can put a flir camera on. Not exactly sure which bird to go with

Not trying to be a sales guy. But...
DJI Inspire 1 v2.0 RAW Quadcopter with Zenmuse X5R CP.BX.000067

Bird, X5R, 15mm f/1.7 lens, 512g SSD (for shooting RAW), SSD reader for your PC, 2 RC controllers, 3 batteries and free shipping. $3799. I have seen used birds going for more than that. NIB with warranty. Not referb.

I had been wanting an I1 or I2 for a while (at least since last Christmas) but really couldn't bite on the price tag. This seemed like the perfect storm of hardware and decent price. And there is the standard 30 day return policy at B&H too though I have never had to leverage it.

Whether its right for you and your budget, thats your call. Just putting the info out. Its a limited time/quantity deal so don't expect it to last long.

Update...
Got the bird on Friday. It all checked out so I decided to use my S5 to register it. I did a full device backup using TitaniumBackup and I did a sync and backup using Helium (belt and suspenders). I removed the firewalled addresses that DJI uses to spy on us and changed the DNS servers back to standard public servers. This let the GO app connect to the net. And predictably, I got the "UPDATE REQUIRED" and couldn't do crap until I installed the latest GO. Precisely the behavior I have come to expect from DJI's software. In the same process, I grabbed the latest APK for Litchi (4.0.2 I think).

I let it connect to the I1 and register it, I terminated WifI (already had the MobileData shut off) as soon as I got the "Success" message. And then powered down my phone. I did a manual factory reset (yes, thats how much I trust DJI) with partition wipe. I even cleared my android cache partition just in case DJI was so kind enough to have stuffed things in there (doubted it but I don't underestimate DJI's sneaky side). Restored the device with Titanium. So at this point I should have a clean setup again. I fired up GO and tested my P3. No complaints. Working fine so I dropped in the new Litchi APK and the P3 still seems fine.

I started installing saved APKs of GO until I found the first one with the I1 Raw listed as I wanted to make sure I had the ability to alter settings on the new bird. That all went well. I don't think it managed to do any firmware updates on the bird in the short time I had it connected during registration. I forgot to log which FW versions the bird reports in Go. Will do that this week. Anyone know if there is a list of I1 firmware downloads like there are for the P3?

With other things I needed to get done on the weekend, I didn't have a chance to fly it except for a brief test flight of a few minutes. All went well with that though. Seemed stable and recorded a brief test video and some stills. Wasn't a nice day (cloudy and icky looking like wanting to rain which it did later) so nothing worth posting or editing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20