Smoke engines

Reaction score
Hello everyone
Following the full charge of the battery, and without the use of a drone on the same day,I decided to finish the battery indoors.A terrible mistake!
Although the drone did not fall from a height in general, But stuck in the corner, 2 engines smoldering, and a terrible noise.
In addition to the engines warmed up terribly.
I managed to put out the drone after 5-6 seconds.
I tried to run the phantom after it cooled, something like an hour, Everything worked!
Should any case I will be to replace these engines?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
If that is a warranty aircraft, you should return it right away.

Ok so what do you mean you decided to finished the drone indoors?

The OP said: "...,I decided to finish the battery indoors."

Reactions: lior1317
This is not a technical fault, my fault, my fault happened

I gotcha - so you tired to run down the batteries indoors and crashed into corner of the room - or rather stuck in a corner while still running.

Have a close look at your motors - remove props and look into the cooling vent openings - if they are not that bright copper colour as to the copper windings - then you have burned away the copper coil insulation - not to mention overheated the bearings to a fault value - I would say best practice is to replace them.

If it didn't get hot enough to melt or distort the plastic motor mount/base area you likely shut it down in time to save the esc - after inspecting the motors insulation), slowly turn them back and forth by hand to feel for any small "tight or rough" spots - that will indicate bearing issues.

The smell was likely the insulation varnish burning off and a likely loud "squealing" sound with it that might be from the esc and/or motors - hopefully the esc board isn't burnt.

Get the new motors installed and see how she flies at low altitude testing.

I thought there was a failsafe for obstructed motors?

Potts are not expensive, replace them with the right types. You will find two types.

Also check if props got damaged, they too are cheap.

Inspect the shell closely for any deformation.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I did about the same thing only outside and flipped the bird on a hard landing on the other side of the house, WOW what a squeal! Just one motor burnt and/or locked up. So off to YouTube I went, watched a couple of vids and decided to take on the challenge. As alokbhargava says you have to know what style of motors you have DJI changed the style of motors mounting back a year or year and half ago. Motor were $12.00 each off amazon so I changed them all. Also as alokbhargava says check your shell around the motor(s) that got hot, I actually burnt my finger trying to get the prop off and melted the plastic around the motor screws. The worst part of the whole experience as many of the YouTube video show is opening the shell on the bird it was the worst and took the most time!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
, also a metric torqs bit long shaft tool set hobby. And soldering gun with fine point. Took about an hour to hour and a half. The attached picture is to show you the new style motor on a P3A look at area on top of motor the vent opening dividers are flat or flush from the spindle to the outer motor housing the older models have raised vent dividers. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 264

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member