Small Aircraft incursion into my airspace no way to report to FAA

First of all your thread title is inaccurate. You are always required to give way to other aircraft. Therefore it is impossible for another aircraft to have an incursion in your airspace. That's not to say that an aircraft can't violate minimum altitude/distance requirements near you. But that is not the same thing as an airspace incursion.

Next this:
Manned aircraft are not allowed to fly under 500 feet unless they have issues or are landing and taking off.
Not true. In sparsely populated areas, aircraft are required to remain at least 500ft away from any person or structure. You can be right down on the deck as long you don't get any closer than 500ft. Perfectly legal. You can also be at 250ft as long as you're also 250ft away from any person or structure or any other combination of altitude and lateral space which yields 500ft of space between the aircraft and any person or structure. Perfectly legal.

Now you said earlier that the first time the plane flew over it was between 500ft and 1200ft. Then it came back and was 'significantly lower'. This means it could have been at 1200ft the first time and 500ft the second which may well be perfectly legal depending on where your home is located. And if you tell that to the FAA the same way you've said it here, that's exactly what they're going to assume, i.e. the operation was probably perfectly legal.

As for contacting the FAA, you need to look up the number of your local FSDO (Flight Standards District Office) and report the low flying aircraft there. As others have said, the fact you were flying your drone is of no consequence to the matter at hand so you can mention that part or not but no one at the FSDO office is likely to care once they realize you did as the regs require. They might care about the low flying aircraft, but again, if you say that you estimate the altitude as being 500ft-1200ft the first time and lower the second, they're likely to say ok thanks, have a nice day.

Short of video clearly showing the event and a tail number there really isn't anything the FAA can do about low flying aircraft reports.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I'm still trying to figure out what his 'issue' is. if the aircraft was above 500 feet, and his quadcopter was below 400 feet. What is the issue? What is there to report?

I'm still trying to figure out what his 'issue' is. if the aircraft was above 500 feet, and his quadcopter was below 400 feet. What is the issue? What is there to report?

Read the OP.

It comes down to this IMO:
"Less than 5 minutes later, the aircraft reentered my airspace and was considerably lower."

Which hinges on the word 'considerably'. That is the basis of the OP's 'rub' IMO.

Seems to me he continued to operate in [an] airspace he knew had/has full-scale aircraft activity.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers