Skypixel 360° Images - WOW

Meta4

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Very nice! Can't wait to read your walk thru

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

For anyone wondering how to create these 360° images, the first step is to create your 360° panorama.
I do mine manually but Litchi will automate the capture process for you as well.
With a regular camera you would catch all of the sky but that isn't possible with a Phantom.
You have to start with your camera angled up to catch as much sky as possible because you are going to have to hand paint (in Photoshop) whatever is missing at the top of the sphere.
Take the resulting images into your favourite panorama stitching program and create a panorama using the spherical projection.
It will come out like this with the bottom looking distorted but the Skypixel viewer will fix that:
i-CxLJn8B-L.jpg

Note that I only have a narrow sky strip - more painting to do.

To make the 360° image work it has to be twice as wide as it is high.
Measure the width of the image in pixels and create a blank canvas the same width but with the height equal to 50% of the width.
Paste your panorama onto this and move it to the bottom:
i-V8ppKFJ-L.jpg

Start painting your sky.
The content aware fill tool in Photoshop can be very useful but you'll probably have to do quite a bit yourself if you start with a small sky strip like this.
Pay particular attention to both sides because these have to match up.
After sky painting you might have an image that looks like this:
i-J8kg6P5-L.jpg

You may have to reduce the size to fit the 20MB max file size of Skypixel.
Dropping the image size to 8000 x 4000 works for me.
Save it as a jpg file and upload to Skypixel.
Sit back and admire your handiwork and congratulate yourself for your brilliance.
Play Where's Wally and see if you can find the Phantom Pilot in the shot.
Search the sky to find your painting mistakes.
Here's the final result:
SkyPixel - Connecting Creativity

This makes something much more impressive than gimmicky little planet panos but it's done from the same images.

I don't have photoshop so how would I go about doing this? I have Lightroom 6

I have a suggestion for Skypixel. Could we have an upper limit how high the viewer can scroll the image? This would eliminate the need to fake in the sky. PTGui can do this in their Publish to Website command by setting upper and lower tilt limits. Lower limit of -90° and upper limit of 30° seems to work well. PTGui then outputs an .htm file and a bunch of .jpg images which I can view in a web browser, but have found no way to post to Skypixel. The results are of course not the 2:1 width to height ratio, but works great when viewed locally in a web browser.

great tuto :)
i just started yesterday creating 360s and here is my fist one

i have another solution for adding the sky to a 360 panorama, i will update the post with my solution for the sky to complement this post. stay tuned :)

sharing is caring :)

here we go, keep in mind that this is another way to add a sky to a 360 image.

you need two images, the stitched 360 panorama and a sky image (im attaching the image used in the example) in my case my images are as follow:

panorama: 15,652 x 5,536
t01.jpg

sky: 20,000 x 5,000
t02.jpg

skypixel only accepts panoramas with a 2:1 pixel ratio so we need to modify the panorama canvas to 15,652 x 7,826 pixels (15,652/2=7826, when modifying the canvas size we add the extra pixels to the top, where the sky will be added) we also need to modify the sky image width to match the panorama width (15,656). notice that with the panorama we edited the canvas size and with the sky we changed the image size to end with the following:

panorama: 15,652 x 7,826
t03.jpg

sky: 15,652 x 3,913
now we need to blend the sky with the panorama which is very simple

copy the sky and paste it as a new layer in the panorama composition
t04.jpg

select the sky layer and click on ¨add layer mask¨
t05.jpg

select the gradient tool, and be sure that ¨foreground to transparent¨ and ¨linear¨ options are selected, also be sure that the color is set to black.
t06.jpg

draw a vertical line to blend the images (here youll have to play to get the best result)
t07.jpg

export your image as a jpge and voila, thats all :)

Last edited:
Reactions: konidair
sharing is caring :)

here we go, keep in mind that this is another way to add a sky to a 360 image.

you need two images, the stitched 360 panorama and a sky image (im attaching the image used in the example) in my case my images are as follow:

panorama: 15,652 x 5,536
View attachment 56338

sky: 20,000 x 5,000
View attachment 56339

skypixel only accepts panoramas with a 2:1 pixel ratio so we need to modify the panorama canvas to 15,652 x 7,826 pixels (15,652/2=7826, when modifying the canvas size we add the extra pixels to the top, where the sky will be added) we also need to modify the sky image width to match the panorama width (15,656). notice that with the panorama we edited the canvas size and with the sky we changed the image size to end with the following:

panorama: 15,652 x 7,826 View attachment 56340
sky: 15,652 x 3,913
now we need to blend the sky with the panorama which is very simple

copy the sky and paste it as a new layer in the panorama composition

select the sky layer and click on ¨add layer mask¨

select the gradient tool, and be sure that ¨foreground to transparent¨ and ¨linear¨ options are selected, also be sure that the color is set to black.
View attachment 56343
draw a vertical line to blend the images (here youll have to play to get the best result)

export your image as a jpge and voila, thats all :)
Can I do this in Lightroom 6. I don't have photoshop cc

For anyone wondering how to create these 360° images, the first step is to create your 360° panorama.
I do mine manually but Litchi will automate the capture process for you as well.
With a regular camera you would catch all of the sky but that isn't possible with a Phantom.
You have to start with your camera angled up to catch as much sky as possible because you are going to have to hand paint (in Photoshop) whatever is missing at the top of the sphere.
Take the resulting images into your favourite panorama stitching program and create a panorama using the spherical projection.
It will come out like this with the bottom looking distorted but the Skypixel viewer will fix that:
i-CxLJn8B-L.jpg

Note that I only have a narrow sky strip - more painting to do.

To make the 360° image work it has to be twice as wide as it is high.
Measure the width of the image in pixels and create a blank canvas the same width but with the height equal to 50% of the width.
Paste your panorama onto this and move it to the bottom:
i-V8ppKFJ-L.jpg

Start painting your sky.
The content aware fill tool in Photoshop can be very useful but you'll probably have to do quite a bit yourself if you start with a small sky strip like this.
Pay particular attention to both sides because these have to match up.
After sky painting you might have an image that looks like this:
i-J8kg6P5-L.jpg

You may have to reduce the size to fit the 20MB max file size of Skypixel.
Dropping the image size to 8000 x 4000 works for me.
Save it as a jpg file and upload to Skypixel.
Sit back and admire your handiwork and congratulate yourself for your brilliance.
Play Where's Wally and see if you can find the Phantom Pilot in the shot.
Search the sky to find your painting mistakes.
Here's the final result:

This makes something much more impressive than gimmicky little planet panos but it's done from the same images.
Nice. Thanks. I was wanting to know how to do this. Also, I found Wally by the lighthouse.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Neon Euc
Can I do this in Lightroom 6. I don't have photoshop cc
no, you cant.

but if you have adobe cc, you can download photoshop.

I have been doing some 360 panos too on my P3S using Litchi with great results. I use PTGui to stitch them and photoshop to make minor corrections (still learning photoshop). I just started posting on Skypixel but was using Kuula before.

For an even better experience get a cheap VR viewer and toggle VR ON for a totally emersive experience.

Here’s the one I have.

3779376a5882513abbc9be96dcb20301.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic