Skid floats or Advance floatation device

Reaction score
I fly a lot over water and along river banks. For safety precaution in case of needed recovery I’m looking for flotation devices. 1 is simple floats on the skids, another is a more secure device although if this lands in the water, the entire camera and gimbal gets submerged. Does anyone have a preference for one over the other?

Attachments

• 15C7C951-A1FA-44B6-A7D1-C3FA5381076F.jpeg
    15C7C951-A1FA-44B6-A7D1-C3FA5381076F.jpeg
    500.9 KB · Views: 133
I would never want the camera to submerge. Whichever you choose, I would expect the floats to show up in your videos and photos. I too fly over water often, but I just try to put it out of my mind when flying and am always mindful of battery life -- always returning at no less than 40-50% battery while over water. To do otherwise IMO is just asking for a watery grave.

I fly a lot over water and along river banks. For safety precaution in case of needed recovery I’m looking for flotation devices. 1 is simple floats on the skids, another is a more secure device although if this lands in the water, the entire camera and gimbal gets submerged.
Do you want your drone to fly properly and be able to deal with wind, or would you prefer slower speed, shorter flights and poor wind resistance?
All those floatie things are only good for giving nervous flyers a false sense of security.
If you are unlucky enough to have a fall-from-the-air incident, the drone would be soaked anyway.
Does anyone have a preference for one over the other?
I fly offshore all the time and prefer that my speed and wind resistance aren't handicapped.

Do you want your drone to fly properly and be able to deal with wind, or would you prefer slower speed, shorter flights and poor wind resistance?
All those floatie things are only good for giving nervous flyers a false sense of security.
If you are unlucky enough to have a fall-from-the-air incident, the drone would be soaked anyway.

I fly offshore all the time and prefer that my speed and wind resistance aren't handicapped.
Good point, it will be soaked and basically useless. Thanks

Very good point of this topic. It is true that people are mostly afraid of falling down to the water.
The drone is lost anyway only at fall onto the solid ground it would be smashed to fragments. If not sea water there are good chances to fly with again. If you can retreive it of course. At the ground you have better chances to reveal the cause of the fall.
(Removed by moderator-personal attack)

Last edited by a moderator:
The floats on the left look like they would obscure the camera's view - less so the ones on the right. Even with floats, if your done crashes into the water it's going to get a good dunking before it resurfaces and probably end up upside down as well. Yes, they'll affect performance... you'll just have to be mindful of conditions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.