Sketchy GPS

Reaction score
Hi, my drone is acting funny. It’s going in and out of GPS and ATTI mode. It isn’t hovering in one spot after take off, and it wants to wander. Also only have about 8 satellites. Any ideas? Thanks

Near the ground satellite count will be low. 8 sats isn't very much to lock well, but it should be fairly stable. Have you climbed to around 100' to see if it clears up?

Near the ground satellite count will be low. 8 sats isn't very much to lock well, but it should be fairly stable. Have you climbed to around 100' to see if it clears up?
I did earlier today but didn’t check satellites. Was too worried about watching it and making sure it didn’t take off on me. I’m out on the lake and took a leap of faith and was able to get 20ft from the boat just by the drone taking itself. Then I brought it back in.. to scary

Hi, my drone is acting funny. It’s going in and out of GPS and ATTI mode. It isn’t hovering in one spot after take off, and it wants to wander. Also only have about 8 satellites. Any ideas? Thanks
The recorded flight data will give the information needed to work out what's happening.
If you are on a boat, there should be no problem with getting a good sky view and you should see all the sats you need.
GPS is probably not the issue, rather something is causing the Phantom to drop out of GPS mode.
How did you launch?

To check the data, go to DJI Flight Log Viewer
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.

The recorded flight data will give the information needed to work out what's happening.
If you are on a boat, there should be no problem with getting a good sky view and you should see all the sats you need.
GPS is probably not the issue, rather something is causing the Phantom to drop out of GPS mode.
How did you launch?

Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
I really appreciate your help. I do not have access to a computer, I’ve got the CSV file saved via iPhone but don’t know how to get it to you

How did you launch?

Here ya go, had to go old school.

I’ve got the CSV file saved via iPhone but don’t know how to get it to you
The video is useless for data. If you have the .csv file. Upload that file to a sharable location such as Dropbox..etc... and share a link back here to that.

The video is useless for data. If you have the .csv file. Upload that file to a sharable location such as Dropbox..etc... and share a link back here to that.
I’m working from my iPhone and all I can get is a quick screenshot of the csv file name/location but don’t know where to grab it from

I’m working from my iPhone and all I can get is a quick screenshot of the csv file name/location but don’t know where to grab it from
I took I took it out on the water today and it did fine. No issue whatsoever

...it wants to wander. Also only have about 8 satellites...

When you say it wants to wander, how many feet? Thirty or three?

Is this a new bird or has this just started?

8 Satellites isn't your problem. You should have greater than 3-meter accuracy (or much less) with 8 95% of the time.

Are you attempting to fly in an area of high buildings? You could be getting multi-path error with the signals bouncing off of buildings or terrain. (Have you had this problem there before? Is it happening in other locations too?)

SB

When you say it wants to wander, how many feet? Thirty or three?

Is this a new bird or has this just started?

8 Satellites isn't your problem. You should have greater than 3-meter accuracy (or much less) with 8 95% of the time.

Are you attempting to fly in an area of high buildings? You could be getting multi-path error with the signals bouncing off of buildings or terrain. (Have you had this problem there before? Is it happening in other locations too?)

SB
No the bird is 4 years old and was flying under a tree canopy when this started. I believe that was the problem but would wander and one time crashed. Out on the water is always a little scary, but might have just been the winds. I replaced the propellers with brand new ones just to be on the safe side and it did great.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT